Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:15 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times

Advertisements

No fence or door will ever take the place of a vigilant parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 01:30 PM

776 posts, read 580,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wouldn't say it's mostly the g-grandmother's fault, not at all, in view of the fact that the parents left the house knowing she was asleep, AND they left the garage door wide open, providing an easy exit route for the toddlers. The g-ma slept through most of it; how could it have been her fault? The parents set the whole thing up through their own incomprehensible carelessness.
I didn't read that in the article, I'm guessing you found a more detailed article. Yes, that completely changes my answer.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:51 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Oh good lord. How terrible.

I don't want to point fingers...but an hour before calling 911? If my kids that age went missing (I have 2 kids a year apart), 5 minutes! I called 911 once after about 5 minutes (we found them hiding for fun in a closet so I was able to call off the dogs). I was terrified! If they aren't in the house, call 911.
I have children of my own, but you also want to remain calm and look for them at places you might think they'll be first because you just might find them. When you run out of places you can think of, then call 911.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:46 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
At some point you gotta hold either the parents or the caretaker responsible. And really, their great-grandmother was the person watching them? Maybe she was simply too old to have her look after small kids. And look at what the last paragraph says:

Obviously these poor kids were not watched closely enough. I'm sure the pool owners feel just as bad! Several issues here.....

First, need to have child care that actually watches the child! Especially at their ages as they don't know any better. You can't leave toddlers alone even for a second!

Secondly, anyone who has a pool needs to make sure safety measures are in place. Unfortunately, in most states you can't blame trespassing. You need to have a fence or some kind of locking gate on the pool. Pools are a safety hazard in the eyes of insurance companies. You have to make sure if you have one there is no liability.

Very sad either way and I feel sorry for all involved!

Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Obviously these poor kids were not watched closely enough. I'm sure the pool owners feel just as bad! Several issues here.....

First, need to have child care that actually watches the child! Especially at their ages as they don't know any better. You can't leave toddlers alone even for a second!

Secondly, anyone who has a pool needs to make sure safety measures are in place. Unfortunately, in most states you can't blame trespassing. You need to have a fence or some kind of locking gate on the pool. Pools are a safety hazard in the eyes of insurance companies. You have to make sure if you have one there is no liability.

Very sad either way and I feel sorry for all involved!
Legally, pools are an "attractive nuisance." The pool owner is at fault for the deaths. I hope they have really good homeowner's insurance because the judgment for killing two kids will run into the millions.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:02 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Poor family... I feel sorry for them. Terrible situation...

Toddlers Drown in Southeast Fresno Pool - Story | KSEE and KGPE

I'm not particularly religious so was a little puzzled over the gofundme page "story", but everyone grieves in their own way... those kids were so cute.

https://www.gofundme.com/2q5ft7ky

Old 09-23-2016, 11:40 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Legally, pools are an "attractive nuisance." The pool owner is at fault for the deaths. I hope they have really good homeowner's insurance because the judgment for killing two kids will run into the millions.
Legally maybe they will be held responsible but I hope not. The parents are responsible for this tragedy!! This is exactly why I no longer have a pool, homeowners shouldn't have to be responsible for other people's children. We recently had a case in Kokomo, IN (Howard County) where a 2 year old drowned in the neighbors pool while mom took a nap. This happened in July and nobody has been charged yet. Accidents happen.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:50 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I have children of my own, but you also want to remain calm and look for them at places you might think they'll be first because you just might find them. When you run out of places you can think of, then call 911.
At 2 and 3, there just weren't a lot of places they could be. It would take less then 5 minutes to search the house, near by yards and knock on a couple doors. Then I'd call 911. But I wouldn't be calm, that is such a huge trigger for me. Even losing my dog freaks me out!

Old 09-23-2016, 12:53 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Poor family... I feel sorry for them. Terrible situation...

Toddlers Drown in Southeast Fresno Pool - Story | KSEE and KGPE

I'm not particularly religious so was a little puzzled over the gofundme page "story", but everyone grieves in their own way... those kids were so cute.

https://www.gofundme.com/2q5ft7ky
So sad

But that gofundme write up was really weird.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:17 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
This is just asinine. It is their fault because their neighbor just did not watch the kids you know like a parental figure should. So every time a child is not being watched and hurt themselves someone else should be blamed? I really hope you are not a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events