Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:27 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth
I wouldn't say it's mostly the g-grandmother's fault, not at all, in view of the fact that the parents left the house knowing she was asleep, AND they left the garage door wide open, providing an easy exit route for the toddlers. The g-ma slept through most of it; how could it have been her fault? The parents set the whole thing up through their own incomprehensible carelessness.
They put thier trust IN THE WRONG PERSON!!!!

Its very sad ... Both of them!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 11:36 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
Something to think about for the fenced in pool area. Many people have fish ponds or large fountain setups that small children could fall into and drowned as well. It would be quite odd to have fences around these but they could be just as dangerous to a 2 and 3 year old. On the other issue, I feel terrible for the g-grandmother. I know it was her mostly her fault but I couldn't even imagine the great devastation. I've done this with a pizza in the oven a time or two when I worked a lot of overtime. I've seen parents over sleep before too, so blaming it on her being old isn't the best offence.
So people why should people have to childproof their whole yard? You do know that many people work hard to make their yards look nice and putting child safe guards may ruin that. I guess people will make any excuse for bad parenting?

Old 09-23-2016, 11:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
This is just asinine. It is their fault because their neighbor just did not watch the kids you know like a parental figure should. So every time a child is not being watched and hurt themselves someone else should be blamed? I really hope you are not a parent.
Building things puts you in a position of responsibility. If you build a balcony that collapses, you are responsible. If you build a pool and don't secure it, you are responsible. It's not possible to monitor every child below the age of discretion, so the person who builds and maintains an attractive nuisance is responsible for securing it. Don't try to blame the parents when it was the pool owner's negligence that killed two children.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:08 AM

109 posts, read 292,346 times
I am in tears seeing those sweet faces. That go fund me blurb written by the grandmother though. Rubs me the wrong way. Talking about hitting cousins with a toy and uncontrollable needy kids?? Weird things to say and seems cold.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:32 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Building things puts you in a position of responsibility. If you build a balcony that collapses, you are responsible. If you build a pool and don't secure it, you are responsible. It's not possible to monitor every child below the age of discretion, so the person who builds and maintains an attractive nuisance is responsible for securing it. Don't try to blame the parents when it was the pool owner's negligence that killed two children.
It was most definitely the parents and Great Grandmothers responsibility.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:01 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
What does that mean .. that younger mothers arent as caring or loving..
No it doesn't, and it was not my intention to imply that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
When I put in my pool about ten years ago, local ordinance required that we change out the gate to our backyard so that the pool was not visible from the street ( privacy screening of heavy metal mesh) and that the gate be spring loaded and self latching so that no one could accidentally leave the gate open.

We were also required to put alarms on the patio doors, even though we didn't have small children.

We average two small kids drowning in backyard pools here each year by my memory, but usually in their own yards or when they were at a pool party or at a relatives / friends house and no one was watching. I can't recall a case like this one where they got out and got into a neighbors yard.

Very sad.
I frequently rent vacation, pool homes in Florida, and most of them, but not all, have a canvas or mesh fence surrounding the pool.
The owners, mostly Brits, tell me that it is the law, State or Federal I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I am curious as to know how this is physically/biologically possible.
Girl gives birth to daughter at 16, that girl gives birth to daughter at 16, finally that girl does the same, original mother now 48, i.e. in her forties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
No fence or door will ever take the place of a vigilant parent.
You got that right.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:15 AM

227 posts, read 258,263 times
We have a pool and it's fully enclosed and gated and there is a secondary gate leading up to the entrance of the pool gate. It was never enough for me to worry about our own kids (who were older and knew how to swim). I always considered how easy it would be for a young child or animal to get access and accidentally drown. We also put in stairs so if an animal inadvertently fell in they could get out.

This great-grandmother shouldn't have been watching them obviously. But the neighbor now has to live with a horrible tragedy because they didn't consider how important it is to keep their pool inaccessible. Obviously no one is coming out of this unscathed. And watch, parents will probably try to sue the pool's owner.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Legally, pools are an "attractive nuisance." The pool owner is at fault for the deaths. I hope they have really good homeowner's insurance because the judgment for killing two kids will run into the millions.
She had a fence and a gate.

What next? Forcefield?

Old 09-24-2016, 08:27 AM

776 posts, read 580,830 times
Quote:
So people why should people have to childproof their whole yard? You do know that many people work hard to make their yards look nice and putting child safe guards may ruin that. I guess people will make any excuse for bad parenting?
Nicely said, is the next thread about how we should child proof the inside of our homes, because a neighbor child crawled in through someone's patio door and fell down stairs or drank some beach, etc.? Where I lived, I had issues with people climbing my trees. They drinking beer on my front lawns, and left the beer cans. Broke into my house and stole from my frig. I knew it was only a matter of time before I somehow got sued for someone hurting themselves. Do we need to stop building houses with picket fencing and start building bunkers with barbed wire fencing?

Old 09-24-2016, 08:34 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times
Quote:

No, it is just that many people's belief in social Darwinism stops short of things that can take the life of a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events