Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 06:50 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The kind with a "kind, compassionate manner" (so say dozens of his patients).

Apparently it's okay for a clinician to put bizarre substances into your child if he's nice and caring about it.
He'd have used ground up rhino horn and some bear testicles under a full moon but this works just as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 07:07 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
How do you know for sure???? JUST FROM BLINDLY LISTENING TO OTHER PEOPLE??
Your definitions are apparently:

1. Company announces changes, labels ingredients, FDA tested, Independently tested, massive lawsuits if caught = BLINDLY LISTENING TO OTHER PEOPLE

and

2. I read it off an interweb site selling natural cures in an article written by some random person = BEING INFORMED

Old 09-30-2016, 07:08 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Vodka and cat saliva... known to bartenders as a Siberian Tiger.
And the winner is..... (won't let me rep you)

Old 09-30-2016, 07:52 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In most any thread about vaccines that claim is made here so it's a widespread belief in anti-vax circles where even if they were shown it isn't they'd just start claiming it's hidden in them or put in later or beamed in using advanced technology or...... well you get the picture.
Some people are truly beyond redemption and that is clear to anyone that takes the time to follow often tedious vaccination debates.

One side will present articles from CDC, published results of studies concerning vaccine efficacy, and point out how the childhood diseases have basically vanished from our country since the widespread use of vaccines. The other side will get up and quote opinion articles written by herbalists, naturopathic physicians, and those with an axe to grind against the medical establishment. Its a very lopsided argument. Yet, the argument continues and some people are really convinced there is a legitimate debate.

Anti-vaccine arguments only work in a world where a sizable segment of the population is paranoid and dwells on imaginary conspiracies. I think the number of these folks that exist has been the real eye opener for me.

I only bother to respond to these people because I am concerned there are others reading this who are "on the fence" about vaccination. Hopefully, laying out the facts for them will persuade them to get their kids vaccinated.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:13 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
"He also told investigators he uses a device called the “WaveFront 2000†to detoxify vaccinations from mercury."

What kind of a loon is he? There has been no mercury (thimerosal) in routine childhood vaccines since 2001!

Another proud moment for Illinois! LOL!!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:24 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What kind of a loon is he?
He's a licensed medical doctor kind of loon.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:29 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Some people are truly beyond redemption and that is clear to anyone that takes the time to follow often tedious vaccination debates.

One side will present articles from CDC, published results of studies concerning vaccine efficacy, and point out how the childhood diseases have basically vanished from our country since the widespread use of vaccines. The other side will get up and quote opinion articles written by herbalists, naturopathic physicians, and those with an axe to grind against the medical establishment. Its a very lopsided argument. Yet, the argument continues and some people are really convinced there is a legitimate debate.

Anti-vaccine arguments only work in a world where a sizable segment of the population is paranoid and dwells on imaginary conspiracies. I think the number of these folks that exist has been the real eye opener for me.

I only bother to respond to these people because I am concerned there are others reading this who are "on the fence" about vaccination. Hopefully, laying out the facts for them will persuade them to get their kids vaccinated.
There have been numerous studies that show that when presented with solid evidence that refutes a belief, the people holding that refuted belief respond by believing it with even more fervor.

The Science of Why We Don't Believe Science | Mother Jones

Sometimes I marvel at how we as a species ever progressed beyond living in caves and snacking on vermin we picked off each other's hides...

Old 09-30-2016, 10:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No, Katarina and I follow vaccination pretty closely. Thimersol, a mercury compound, had been present in the childhood vaccines until some people began insisting without evidence that it was causing problems. Thimersol was only in vaccines--in trace amounts--because it was useful as a preservative. A decision was made to remove it years ago.

This link states that thimersol was taken out of childhood vaccines fifteen years ago in 2001. It is now only present in the multi-dose flu vial. The flu vaccine is not a required vaccination for children or adults.

Thimerosal in Vaccines Thimerosal | Concerns | Vaccine Safety | CDC
Exactly. And thimerosal-free flu vaccine is available; it's about 70% of the US market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In most any thread about vaccines that claim is made here so it's a widespread belief in anti-vax circles where even if they were shown it isn't they'd just start claiming it's hidden in them or put in later or beamed in using advanced technology or...... well you get the picture.
Exactly!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:38 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Two hundred years ago, this guy would have been right in style. This kind of practitioner is described in one of my favorite books, "McTeague", by Frank Norris, from 1899. This was from the days before the dreaded government set and enforced licensing standards for medical and dental practice. The McTeague story was used for the 1924 film, "Greed". The re-constructed, 4-hour version is the best, if you can watch a silent film for that long.

On a side note, this book was one I was "forced" to read, for a year-long series of college classes, called "The American Novel". It divided them into three time periods. There wasn't a single assigned book (one a week) that I didn't enjoy and not a one that I would have ever picked up and read, if it hadn't been for that class. One vote for a liberal and wide-based education.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 09-30-2016 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 10:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
He's a licensed medical doctor kind of loon.
Too True! That's why an "appeal to authority" such as "My doctor says cat saliva will prevent the flu" is not a good argument. Every and all professions have their loons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events