Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 07:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
They are a business....of course they are about the money.

You say the infrastructure is there but is it? Could everyone of Comcast's customers use over 1 TB a month (unplanned not if it was spread out to pass this by some technicality) without an effect on their data delivery?

Nobody is telling you you cannot watch your TV in 4K but it will be up to you if you wish to incur the additional fees if you wish. You may decide to change providers or you may decide to pay the extra so you can watch everything in 4K. That is where we find out how much of a difference it makes to you.

Are you sure about that? I remember going home in the 90's and we could not use are DSL for the first hour because everyone got on when they go home. If everyone were to increase their data usage to use that 1 TB a month it may happen again.

Comcast does. So you must have no problem with this?

Comcast does. So you must have no problem with this?

That may be why they would charge more money to people exceeding the data limits. To upgrade their infrastructure.

If they cannot charge what will they invest?

Also a lot of this is not Comcast's problem. People like Netflix, Youtube and Amazon prime charge users to deliver content but Comcast makes nothing off of this. If they want to offer content in 4K then maybe they should pay for some data delivery?

You really believe that they would upgrade their system and NOT allow for future expansion? Yeah ok. Dude I work in that field. EVERYTHING that's installed is overbuilt. I do data work. Everything we install is overbuilt.
Any company that doesn't allow for future expansion won't be around. We're not talking about the 90s where internet was in its infancy. AOL who? Fiber lines today can do huge data transfer and streaming
Most people don't use 1T of data. It's nothing more than charging because you can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 06:10 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
To be fair, a terabyte is a ton of data. If you're burning through a terabyte, you need to rethink your life because you're spending too much time in front of the TV streaming and on the net.
https://layer3tv.com/

Maybe, but with SlingTV, Play Station Vue, and Layer3TV all offering general channel services via internet, Comcast is laying the framework for the future.

I am surprised that Comcast doesn't start offering a skinny bundle of their own consisting of NBC, SyFy, MSNBC, CNBC, USA Network, NBCSN, E!, The Weather Channel, and all the stations that Comcast owns.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:34 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Default Download Instead of Stream

Data caps sometimes annoy me, insomuch that I only get like 15G a month via satellite and it seems like I keep hitting that ceiling so quickly, and I don't even stream anything. (I theorize it's Windows 10 updating all of the time so I figured out how to pretty much stop it altogether, update when I SAY SO and not at all otherwise--and no, there better not be any malware or viruses ANYWAY).

That's the other thing, too, people eating through so much data, it's all that silly streaming people do. If people would DOWNLOAD their TV shows or rip the DVD, you wouldn't go through the data so much. What is with this "streaming" of everything, Netflix for instance? Why would you want to stream ANYTHING when such means that all of that data gets used up every single time you want to listen to that song or watch that TV show or movie? All of this moving of everything to the "cloud" when you could instead store it locally and then use it all you want without going through more data, that's a big part of the problem. Be smart, download instead.

We are all the time "ripping" DVDs we rent or buy so we can watch it again later WITH NO DATA USAGE. Videos that show up on YouTube can be downloaded and then you can watch them again all you want without using anymore data at all (and on top of that you don't have to worry if Netflix is going to remove it from their lineup, once you have it, you have it for all time). The same goes for MP3s--we rip the CDs or buy the MP3s from Amazon, and then we can play the song as much as we want without using a single byte of data in the least. This streaming of everything is silly to me.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:47 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That's the other thing, too, people eating through so much data, it's all that silly streaming people do. If people would DOWNLOAD their TV shows or rip the DVD, you wouldn't go through the data so much. What is with this "streaming" of everything, Netflix for instance?
Streaming is generally far more compressed than downloadable versions of things (especially video). For the same movie, a streamed version might be a little over 1gb compared to the 7-15gb at high quality downloadable version.

Audio streaming has little impact on your data usage in the end. You're not going to go over any data caps just streaming music (unless we're talking a Verizon cell phone plan with 3 gigabytes available.)

DVD ripping? I used to do this back in 2002. Now 720x480 just isn't sufficient anymore. Hell I don't even have an optical drive on my computer anymore! DVD ripping is antiquated at this point.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:19 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Streaming is generally far more compressed than downloadable versions of things (especially video). For the same movie, a streamed version might be a little over 1gb compared to the 7-15gb at high quality downloadable version.
It depends on how it's done. I've downloaded 1G full-length movies posted to YouTube at 1280x720. Regardless, if you watch something numerous times, then its 1gb each time you do it, whereas once it's downloaded it's no more ever again for that particular selection.

Quote:
Audio streaming has little impact on your data usage in the end. You're not going to go over any data caps just streaming music (unless we're talking a Verizon cell phone plan with 3 gigabytes available.)
Yes, for a good home plan it won't matter much, but yes it sure can on a cell phone plan, and in my experience (I have done SOME streaming of audio a LITTLE) it uses up the phone's battery like an animal and very often will have commercials.

Quote:
DVD ripping? I used to do this back in 2002. Now 720x480 just isn't sufficient anymore. Hell I don't even have an optical drive on my computer anymore! DVD ripping is antiquated at this point.
I've ripped DVDs and then converted them to 720p clips (1280x720). If you run across DVDs at a yard sale, as I have, it's a cheap proposition. I will agree that the process can be lengthy. However, I can then watch them on a tablet in places where there is no Internet or it's sketchy, once we went on a 17 hour road trip (I was a passenger vs a driver) and the ripped DVDs I had on the tablet's memory card played with no incident because no Internet was needed at all. The same went for the selections I had downloaded from YouTube.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:13 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I am surprised that Comcast doesn't start offering a skinny bundle of their own consisting of NBC, SyFy, MSNBC, CNBC, USA Network, NBCSN, E!, The Weather Channel, and all the stations that Comcast owns.
I would like to see the big cable bundle broken down in skinny bundles grouped by the media companies. It would be a nice first step. Ultimately consumers should be able to pick select shows from streaming options for a reasonable subscription fee but baby steps in the right direction would satisfy me in the short term.

I am considering cord cutting but if I could have a cable bundle made up of Fox, Discovery Networks and the AMC owned networks I would keep cable TV without hesitation. I would love to dump the Disney owned networks and the Viacom owned networks which are all garbage. Cable TV without Disney would be a dream come true.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:13 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I would like to see the big cable bundle broken down in skinny bundles grouped by the media companies. It would be a nice first step. Ultimately consumers should be able to pick select shows from streaming options for a reasonable subscription fee but baby steps in the right direction would satisfy me in the short term.

I am considering cord cutting but if I could have a cable bundle made up of Fox, Discovery Networks and the AMC owned networks I would keep cable TV without hesitation. I would love to dump the Disney owned networks and the Viacom owned networks which are all garbage. Cable TV without Disney would be a dream come true.
look into slingtv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events