Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 10:59 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
With all due sympathy to the woman and her child, some of the responses on this thread make me think a lot of Americans should be wearing helmets if they are allowed outside unaccompanied.

People need to be aware of their surroundings and take some responsibility for their own safety. Look both ways when crossing the street, look into an elevator before entering, drive defensively, don't stab your face with your fork when eating, when putting on shoes, toes go in first.

Take some responsibility for your own basic safety. Society cannot control every eventuality.
Haha good points.

I for one am not blaming the victim as some here claim some people are, and it doesn't seem you are either. There is nothing wrong with questioning HOW this happened on the mother's end as well. It doesn't mean anybody is blaming her, just wondering HOW she didn't realize the elevator wasn't there.

The vehement reaction against people who question the victim's conduct in accidents like this confuses me. It doesn't take away from the negligence on the other side at all to question how someone manages to do something like this. I just feel like most people would look at and into the elevator before stepping in, and I also don't think the excuse that the stroller may have been too big to see over holds much weight.

When the woman in Westchester County NY drove right though the MetroNorth railroad barrier a few years ago on the street and got hit by a train, people rightfully questioned her conduct as well. How do you not see the oncoming train and barriers down? How do you not see there's no elevator there? They are valid questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 11:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
People aren't taught the dangers of elevators and people take them for granted. All machinery can malfunction and when we are able to operate that machinery, we should be required to learn the safety involved.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:11 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Also, this woman couldn't have pushed a stroller "into someone's shins" because there was no elevator when the doors opened up.
Again with people being too literal. He didn't mean THIS woman pushing a stroller into shins, rather the idea that anyone would not look to see where the stroller was going. Most people tend to look before stepping into an elevator in order not to run into other people that might already be there, in any elevator.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:33 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
The elevator doors should not have opened if the elevator wasn't there.

There should have been signs saying "out of order" and such.

But... there is NO way a person who is paying any amount of attention at all would not immediately notice the difference between an elevator car and an empty shaft.

It's horrible that a baby had to die because of a horrible chain of bad decisions - or lack of any thought whatsoever.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:49 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,027 times
My great grandfather died this way back in 1948 in the Bronx.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:44 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
wow thats so horrible.
-WT

Old 10-15-2016, 08:28 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Again with people being too literal. He didn't mean THIS woman pushing a stroller into shins, rather the idea that anyone would not look to see where the stroller was going. Most people tend to look before stepping into an elevator in order not to run into other people that might already be there, in any elevator.
This is good advice.

I've seen people on a cell phone step off a curb oblivious and a car runs a red light.

You do that and get badly mangled and maybe it's a coca cola truck that hits you and they pay you a lot while it takes you 2 years to sorta recover.

Then again, maybe it's an uninsured driver and there is NO MONEY (or very little) and it could destroy your life as you know it.

Zero difference in the persons behavior, it's not their fault, but damn are they screwed.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:31 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
The elevator doors should not have opened if the elevator wasn't there.

There should have been signs saying "out of order" and such.

But... there is NO way a person who is paying any amount of attention at all would not immediately notice the difference between an elevator car and an empty shaft.

It's horrible that a baby had to die because of a horrible chain of bad decisions - or lack of any thought whatsoever.
We really don't know the persons situation nor the full story.

If you've never had a brain fart or been loopy from a lack of sleep or whatever helped cause this then good for you....but crap happens.

I remember a squad of soldiers that got effed up because in the heat of the moment a guy put THEIR coordinates into the bombing request instead of the enemy. Stuff happens.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:21 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415
l doesn't explain the fact that looking straight ahead and/or up into the doors, she still should have been able to see that there was no car there.
Maybe she was on her phone who knows........

Old 10-15-2016, 11:18 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
This was awful. Poor baby And this poor mom. I know what it's like to wake up in the morning & think "Why didn't you just take me too? Why am I still here?'

Wouldn't wish that on my worst enenmy.

I've been trying to imagine how this could happen; given the details that are known. I'm a "multiple multiples" mom; twins ... twice. I've navigated just about every terrain with any kind of stroller you can imagine. Double front-back, double side by side; double jogging, single jogging, umbrella-style. Elevators, double doors, curbs. Even stairs.

At one point I had 4 babies under age 2; I've done it all. And it just occured to me:

What if she wasn't WAITING for the elevator ...What if she was RUSHING to the elevator?

You know; your rounding a corner in a hallway & hear that "Bing-Bong"; signaling that the elevator door is opening.

Your trying not to miss it. Trying to round that corner knowing that if the front wheels cross the door threshold that the doors will rebound & let you in ...

The weight distribution in some strollers is kind of odd. ESPECIALLY in a common stroller that a 6 week old would be in; the kind where the seat is actually the car seat that "clicks" into both a stroller base & the base of a car seat.

If the front wheels crossed the threshold into "thin-air" the weight of that stroller would make it immpossible to recover it: It will tip forward & pull whoever is holding the handle right with it.

The mom & baby would be actually "pulled-in" BEFORE the mom had a chance to see that the elevator car was not there.

...Which sounds awful. But in that case; I can see this being possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events