Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:59 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times

Advertisements

I love stories like this. There is more good than evil in this world, yet the news only focuses on the bad. Stories like this deserve and need to be shared!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 11:02 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I LOVE the "kids these days" too; see much more positive than negative!

OTOH; have you seen the new "First Lady Inspired" lunches? They are deplorable.

There is a way to fix healthy food that does not contribute to childhood obesity; the school districts are not doing it. If a kid has money to spend on the "extra's" or bring lunch from home they do it. Nobody eats the school lunch anymore.

The tragedy is that school districts are participating in reduced /free breakfast & lunch & it's all going in the trash.

Our school district has removed all ovens & stoves from the school cafeterias; replaced with massive microwaves. All food is delivered to the schools pre-cooked. There are very few servings of meat provided. What meat there is will typically be the same grey color. Pasta is dry, hard & undercooked. Sauce is slime/water/drippy. Lettuce is brown.

They have tried introducing whole-grain which is great but they don't know how to cook it. I have seen items that bounce. Literally.

It's so soy-laden I'm surprised kids don't have gynecomastia by the 2nd grade. The milk looks like water.
I know my grandson doesn't care for the school lunch. There are only a few things he will eat. He brings his lunch 98% of the time. This year they took out the student microwaves so he cant heat up food. I bought him a thermal lunch box with 3 containers for about $40 so he could have hot food from home.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:08 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
This!

But, I do have to ask .. is the picture of lunches in this article supposed to be what the generous mom was sending, for both her child and the other? Doesn't look particularly healthy to me - with chips (Doritos/rings, and soft drinks and who knows what is in that sandwich or that 'dip' container?). Not sure that it is any better for the kid than the lone container of fruit salad might be - it is all processed and it is just 'more'.
Why do you think the lunch has to be ultra healthy? Kids eat sandwiches and chips sometimes. My grandson doesn't always bring healthy food. Sometimes its left over pizza, left over food from supper the night before, a sandwich, or chicken and rice (his favorite). He eats a variety of foods some very healthy, some not so much.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
While this is certainly a heartwarming story, the cynic in me can't help but wonder why she felt the need to share this to the world at all.
I know, I felt that too...But hey, when you have parents letting their kids toss kittens in ovens and killing them, or being encouraged by their parents to steal, lie and cheat. Oh heck, I'd be heaping praise on this woman for doing the RIGHT thing in raising her son....

Old 10-20-2016, 12:18 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The cynic in me wonders why folks can't just be happy to read a positive story once in a while instead of the garbage the media typically sells us. That's a lot of what is wrong with society today.... no one can just take a heart warming story at face value and instead always look for ulterior motives.
I'm happy to hear there's still kindness in this world, who wouldn't? But the mom in the story was not satisfied with her good deed alone, she went and posted it on Facebook too, which then went viral.

Whatever happened to being kind to people just because it's what you're supposed to do without actively seeking the accolades from public afterward?

Old 10-20-2016, 12:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I'm happy to hear there's still kindness in this world, who wouldn't? But the mom in the story was not satisfied with her good deed alone, she went and posted it on Facebook too, which then went viral.

Whatever happened to being kind to people just because it's what you're supposed to do without actively seeking the accolades from public afterward?
Perhaps in hopes that others would recognize the situation is not limited to just this one boy and perhaps do likewise or help fix it?

But in this age of people insisting there MUST be an ulterior motive if someone lets it be known, then clearly that's a forlorn hope.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:26 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Sometimes you do something nice on the side and word of what you did gets out.

I've been involved in something like that on an occasion or two and it went quietly as planned but if the recipient tells someone and word gets around to a reporter the next thing you know they want to talk to you.

Stories like this make me reflect upon my own life and blessings and think about how I probably don't do enough to help others that could really use it.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:28 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Perhaps in hopes that others would recognize the situation is not limited to just this one boy and perhaps do likewise or help fix it?

But in this age of people insisting there MUST be an ulterior motive if someone lets it be known, then clearly that's a forlorn hope.

For once I believe we are in complete agreement.

Sometimes you have to remind people that they need to perform good deeds. Sometimes by telling someone what you have done, they make a conscious effort to do the same. Admittedly this story reminded me that I need to do a little more than I have for others lately and not get too wrapped up in my own life.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:51 PM

245 posts, read 291,697 times
someone mention free/reduced lunch/breakfast and now i am craving french toast sticks...

Old 10-20-2016, 02:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I am surprised however the boy in this story didnt receive free lunch at school. In my district every kid can get a free lunch regardless of income. Schools have participated in the free and reduced lunch program for a very long time.
In some places, unless your family is receiving food stamps, you have to fill out a form applying for free lunch for your child. If the mom had never had financial problems before, she might not have known about the form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events