Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 08:45 AM

47 posts, read 24,901 times

Advertisements

World Chess Championship 2016: Can champ Carlsen conquer New York too? | More sports | DW.COM | 11.11.2016

The highest rated chess player in history, 25 year-old Norwegian Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen attempts to defend his title today against 26-year-old Sergey Karjakin of Russia. He first won the championship in 2013 and successfully defended it in 2014.

Here's a nice piece from 2012 on the player called "The Mozart of Chess."

A strong player? Ya think? LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 08:07 AM

638 posts, read 980,157 times
Do they play over the course of a couple weeks or are all the games played in one day? so far I can only find 2 games that they have played for the championship. I think they both were draws

Old 11-14-2016, 08:54 AM

10,582 posts, read 7,804,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Do they play over the course of a couple weeks or are all the games played in one day? so far I can only find 2 games that they have played for the championship. I think they both were draws
Only one game a day. There are likely some off days too. Most games at this level will end in draws.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:43 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,902,543 times
What a thrill was the third game... It amazes me that I understood nothing at all there.... Even grandmasters were not understanding some moves.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:44 AM

838 posts, read 556,590 times
Do players need to train for these comps?

How long can one game go on for?

Are there chess groupies?

A part of me has always wanted to learn how to play (and play well) and the other part of me is thankful I don't.

The stress these young men and women must be under is tremendous.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:58 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,723,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAmVA View Post
Do players need to train for these comps?
Yes they do. At this level they also have teams of other grandmasters helping them to prepare and research. They memorize all of the games their opponent has played in the last 3-5 years, analyzing each game and determining weaknesses, preparing openings and theory crafting, trying to double down on their own strengths or exploit opponent's weaknesses, prepare surprising moves, etc.
Quote:
How long can one game go on for?
Each game can last for over 5 hours. They play 1 game a day and between conferences and actual game it takes up the full day. They have a rest day after 2 games played. There are 12 games in the match, and if after 12 games the score is tied, there are tie break games.
Quote:
Are there chess groupies?
Probably, chess is pretty popular. It is definitely the most popular table top game ever played in history.

Quote:
A part of me has always wanted to learn how to play (and play well) and the other part of me is thankful I don't.

The stress these young men and women must be under is tremendous.
You can pick up chess at anytime, and just play for fun if you want. After all, chess is just a game.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:21 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,936,480 times
Chess on its own is starting to become a boring game because of how much it has been analyzed.

I therefore favor the more complex chess variants. My top two favorites are:

1. Capablanca chess. It's played on a 10x8 board instead of the 8x8 board of regular chess. It includes two extra pieces for each side: the chancellor and the archbishop. Way more fun.

2. Bughouse chess. This is regular chess played in teams of two, with two boards. The two players on each team have opposite colors and sit next to each other. The captured pieces on one board go to the teammate's side and can be used to introduce reinforcements into their game, and vice-versa. Include a clock and it's a lot of fun.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:17 PM

18 posts, read 17,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
There are 12 games in the match, and if after 12 games the score is tied, there are tie break games.
Much better than the old rule, when a tie score meant the champion retained the title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events