Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:10 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,863,784 times

Advertisements

It seems that nearly every news story is accompanied by a "Go Fund Me" link.

So many "Go Fund Me" accounts have been fraudulent. People watch the news and then start fraudulent "Go Fund Me" accounts. Some accounts in the area where I live have been started with the name of crime victims, and the crime victims come forward to state that they have not started a Go Fund Me, and that the accounts are fraudulent.

I can't believe that so many people actually donate to the Go Fund Me accounts.

Even if not fraudulent some of the reasons the accounts are started seem less than worthy, IMHO.

Recently we received a request via our neighborhood website from someone in a nearby neighborhood. He stated that he and his wife had become overextended with the purchase of their home and vehicles and had to go bankrupt. He was asking for money so that they could get back on their feet and keep their home, plus allow him to finance a college education so he would be able to get a better job. He included the link to Go Fund Me.

Someone made a comment on his Go Fund Me site mentioning that he should be able to apply for student loans, and he replied that he didn't want to have to pay back student loans. He would rather just receive donations that didn't have to be repaid. And unbelievably, many people were donating to his Go Fund Me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 10:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
I agree and would like to contribute to your program to help eliminate this scourge

Old 12-01-2016, 10:15 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,552,921 times
I'm actually kind of amazed that people still give to these funds being that we are being fed these requests all the time.

This just proves that people either have way too much money or are really dumb or both.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:40 AM

There was a tragic death in the Indianapolis area last year, a young father who was murdered while jogging and minding his own business. It was highly publicized in the news and FIVE gofundme campaigns were immediately started. The family members stated on the news the next day that they were fraud accounts and that the family had not authorized any Go Fund Me account at all.

The crooks who started the gofundme accounts simply took the details from the news reports. Each account had the story, most were very poorly written.

The unbelievable thing was that some of the accounts had misspelled the name of the person who had died. The family pointed this out as well and said they were attempting to get the fraudulent accounts taken down.

I don't think Gofundme cares if the account is legit or not. Gofundme takes a percentage of the funds that are donated.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:52 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,698,859 times
This is from GoFundMe.

"While it's free to create and share your online fundraising campaign, GoFundMe will deduct a 5% fee from each donation that you receive. Since our fee is deducted automatically, you'll never need to worry about being billed or owing us any money."

Old 12-01-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
This is from GoFundMe.

"While it's free to create and share your online fundraising campaign, GoFundMe will deduct a 5% fee from each donation that you receive. Since our fee is deducted automatically, you'll never need to worry about being billed or owing us any money."
Right, so GoFundMe doesn't really care if the accounts are fraudulant or not. They are still making their money.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:03 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,698,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Right, so GoFundMe doesn't really care if the accounts are fraudulant or not. They are still making their money.
Exactly it can easily lead to a scam.

Technology opens a lot of doors. Some not so good.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:41 AM

99,647 posts, read 4,496,571 times
I agree. It is hard to believe that people donate to some of these accounts without any research at all.

As they say, "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Old 12-01-2016, 12:09 PM

16,554 posts, read 19,725,221 times
GoFundMe I get... you're helping someone. This Twitch craze to me is mind blowing....
People pay other people.... to watch them play video games. I thought no one had money today???

Old 12-01-2016, 12:10 PM

8,698 posts, read 11,092,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
It seems that nearly every news story is accompanied by a "Go Fund Me" link.

So many "Go Fund Me" accounts have been fraudulent. People watch the news and then start fraudulent "Go Fund Me" accounts. Some accounts in the area where I live have been started with the name of crime victims, and the crime victims come forward to state that they have not started a Go Fund Me, and that the accounts are fraudulent.

I can't believe that so many people actually donate to the Go Fund Me accounts.

Even if not fraudulent some of the reasons the accounts are started seem less than worthy, IMHO.

Recently we received a request via our neighborhood website from someone in a nearby neighborhood. He stated that he and his wife had become overextended with the purchase of their home and vehicles and had to go bankrupt. He was asking for money so that they could get back on their feet and keep their home, plus allow him to finance a college education so he would be able to get a better job. He included the link to Go Fund Me.

Someone made a comment on his Go Fund Me site mentioning that he should be able to apply for student loans, and he replied that he didn't want to have to pay back student loans. He would rather just receive donations that didn't have to be repaid. And unbelievably, many people were donating to his Go Fund Me.
I laugh at most of these requests. The people who donate are the bigger dummies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events