Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 04:22 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,573,484 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I don't shop, hike, golf, bike, fish, walk dogs, motorbike, or do any activities on one, but have one on me when I go out.
I might call home to coordinate take out food or check in for safety/courtesy. That's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
There's a sign in a bakery downtown that say WE'LL BE HAPPY TO SERVE YOU WHEN YOU PUT AWAY YOUR PHONE. I do not do business there. Ever.

Now, I use my phone only rarely. It is a utilitarian device for me, not a toy. If I am on it, it is not to chat but because there's a message being conveyed to my wife, one of my kids, my employer, and so forth. If I am at a business I will not make a phone during the transaction, but depending on who is calling and what's going on in my life, I'll be damned if I'll be lectured on phone etiquette by some clowns who think that because they sell bread and doughnuts that gives them some sort of authority to dictate how I use my phone.

If we'd ever used a day-care (we didn't - we raised our children ourselves) then that business-customer relationship would have been one of child care, not one of how I should use my phone to make others happy.
Remember this statement when the EMT, Fire Fighter,First Responder, Nurse, Doctor, Surgeon, person in public who knows the heimlich procedure and you are choking, etc. has to finish their cell phone call or answer their cell phone instead of saving your life....

Old 02-07-2017, 10:21 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,566,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Remember this statement when the EMT, Fire Fighter,First Responder, Nurse, Doctor, Surgeon, person in public who knows the heimlich procedure and you are choking, etc. has to finish their cell phone call or answer their cell phone instead of saving your life....
Exactly. I like how people say they are being lectured. I didn't know a sign that you are reading could be considered a lecture. Of course, some people can't ever be told what to do, or have a suggestion to follow any sort of conformity. I want my phone and you can't tell me not to talk on it EVER. I am important.

Last edited by budlight; 02-07-2017 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-07-2017, 10:52 AM

348 posts, read 256,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Exactly. I like how people say they are being lectured. I didn't know a sign that you are reading could be considered a lecture. Of course, some people can't ever be told what to do, or have a suggestion to follow any sore of conformity. I want my phone and you can't tell me not to talk on it EVER. I am important.
Exactly.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:07 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I think the sign is an expression of caring workers who are just sick and tired of what they see daily. Can't blame them. I would be too.
I worked a summer activities and group education/support group for kids, ages 7-17, one summer and I and my group co-facilitator heard more than once how some kids feel lonely, unloved, unacknowledged at home by their parents who are too busy playing video games, computer games, or talking on their phones. I am not kidding. From the kids, for crying out loud.
This obcession is hurting relationships and families more than most think.
Workplace? Oh yeah...breaks, lunchrooms, even during meetings. Cells, tablets...they can't quit looking.
I took a college class a few years ago and no one socialized at the breaks...all glued to phones. Even in the restrooms and during class.
I, for one, am sick of it and I feel it is ruining the once-present joys of conversation and social interaction. No wonder people feel lonely.
Put down your damn phones, people! There is a whole life that you are missing out on: kids, spouses, friends, neighbors, pets, co-workers, family...life!
I wonder if those kids will grow up to avoid video games, and will have healthier and more creative pastimes. What do they do at home for entertainment, themselves? Are they out riding their bikes, or are they also cooped up in the house with video games?

Adults who can't tear themselves away from their computer/video games and devices shouldn't be having kids. That's very sad to hear.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:10 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,322,063 times
It's none of their business, and not only that unless there's a noise, work avoidance or safety issue, it is NOBODY'S business to tell ANYBODY that they are on their phone too much. If I wanted your opinion, I'd asked, or as my friend used to say, if I wanted to hear from an {donkey's rear hole} I'd {broke wind}.

For one thing, I'm sick and tired of all of this judging people for being on their phones. It's none of your business. I think smoking and drinking are stupid, but unless they're DUI'ing or blowing smoke in my face it's not any of my business. For another thing, you're only seeing, what, 20-odd seconds of this parent's life. You have no idea how much or how little attention they pay to their kids once they're home. Besides that, it makes perfect sense--they're probably calling their relatives, spouses etc with "I just got Don from daycare, I'll meet you at the restaurant in 15 minutes" or whatever. Besides that, they are paying the daycare to take care of their children, not to judge them for their phone behavior.

What if your local fast food workers placed up a sign saying "quit taking your kids out for happy meals, cook them a real meal for crying out loud?" Would you care for that, or would you think that maybe that's none of their business? Same thing here. And here's another thing--how would you as a daycare customer like being judged by ANYBODY for the fact that you're using daycare to start with instead of staying home with your kids during those formative years? "That's different"--bologna, I've heard plenty of people say that most times it's really not and that if one is creative enough you can find ways to make it work and not necessarily be eating franks and beans every day. Imagine--daycare people judging phone usage for 20 little seconds when their WHOLE BUSINESS is about essentially raising someone else's kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Ask anyone who works in retail what it's like to try to help a customer or take someone's money to pay for things while they have a phone glued to their ear.
I've done retail and I can honestly say it's never bothered me. On the list of annoying customers, they don't even make a blip on the radar and in fact I've often-times found them the most in & out of any customers we have, and where I work that's what you want--people in and out QUICKLY. The one who are REALLY annoying are the ones who INSIST on digging through every pocket to give exact change because getting a dime and two pennies back in change is somehow just so awful, those who dispute 5 cents on an item, those with torn-up debit cards that don't work and they REFUSE to replace them and insist on you entering those 93 digits manually every time, people who buy cigarettes and fuss at having to show their ID when it's the law, you name it. Compared to any of that, phone users don't even rate the least.

This is nothing more than a further illustration of how it's somehow become fashionable and oh so predictable to bash phone usage. These people owe NOBODY an explanation (again, assuming no safety/noise/work avoidance issues) for how and why they use their phone as they do. Pay attention to your OWN life and stop butting your noise in other people's and you'll be a lot better off.

Last edited by shyguylh; 02-07-2017 at 01:24 PM..

Old 02-07-2017, 01:40 PM

2,026 posts, read 1,318,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
There's a sign in a bakery downtown that say WE'LL BE HAPPY TO SERVE YOU WHEN YOU PUT AWAY YOUR PHONE. I do not do business there. Ever.

Now, I use my phone only rarely. It is a utilitarian device for me, not a toy. If I am on it, it is not to chat but because there's a message being conveyed to my wife, one of my kids, my employer, and so forth. If I am at a business I will not make a phone during the transaction, but depending on who is calling and what's going on in my life, I'll be damned if I'll be lectured on phone etiquette by some clowns who think that because they sell bread and doughnuts that gives them some sort of authority to dictate how I use my phone.

If we'd ever used a day-care (we didn't - we raised our children ourselves) then that business-customer relationship would have been one of child care, not one of how I should use my phone to make others happy.

Thank heavens for you and the few well-mannered people out there.
I'm kind of like you, I use the phone only when I must. But if I get a call in a restaurant or an office, I go outside to talk. I used to be on-call at a hospital (not a doctor), and I used to get calls that mattered at lot. I find that whatever it is can wait a few seconds while I walk outside or down the hall.

However, your indignant position would make sense only if you were the only person in the world that has a cellphone. Then being offended would be reasonable. But you are not, and that sign wasn't put there for people like you and me. It's abuse by the mindless phone-zombies that makes business owners put up signs such as that.

What's different between us, though, is that I'm grateful that such business owners take a stand to make our lives a bit more decent, and I prefer places that require civilized behavior.
Perhaps you could reconsider patronizing shops that try to make their business a pleasant place to be.

It's like the signs that say "shoes and shirts" or even "proper dress required" at some restaurants.
I'm not offended by that requirement being posted because I would never violate it anyway, so I don't take it personally.
I don't want to eat at places sitting next to some half-naked person, and in the same way I don't want to eat at places where someone is loudly yakking into their phone about whatever.

Or consider it like the road signs that say "no littering". I don't take those as an accusation or personal attack on me.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:42 AM

123 posts, read 139,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It's none of their business, and not only that unless there's a noise, work avoidance or safety issue, it is NOBODY'S business to tell ANYBODY that they are on their phone too much. If I wanted your opinion, I'd asked, or as my friend used to say, if I wanted to hear from an {donkey's rear hole} I'd {broke wind}.

For one thing, I'm sick and tired of all of this judging people for being on their phones. It's none of your business. I think smoking and drinking are stupid, but unless they're DUI'ing or blowing smoke in my face it's not any of my business. For another thing, you're only seeing, what, 20-odd seconds of this parent's life. You have no idea how much or how little attention they pay to their kids once they're home. Besides that, it makes perfect sense--they're probably calling their relatives, spouses etc with "I just got Don from daycare, I'll meet you at the restaurant in 15 minutes" or whatever. Besides that, they are paying the daycare to take care of their children, not to judge them for their phone behavior.

What if your local fast food workers placed up a sign saying "quit taking your kids out for happy meals, cook them a real meal for crying out loud?" Would you care for that, or would you think that maybe that's none of their business? Same thing here. And here's another thing--how would you as a daycare customer like being judged by ANYBODY for the fact that you're using daycare to start with instead of staying home with your kids during those formative years? "That's different"--bologna, I've heard plenty of people say that most times it's really not and that if one is creative enough you can find ways to make it work and not necessarily be eating franks and beans every day. Imagine--daycare people judging phone usage for 20 little seconds when their WHOLE BUSINESS is about essentially raising someone else's kids?

I've done retail and I can honestly say it's never bothered me. On the list of annoying customers, they don't even make a blip on the radar and in fact I've often-times found them the most in & out of any customers we have, and where I work that's what you want--people in and out QUICKLY. The one who are REALLY annoying are the ones who INSIST on digging through every pocket to give exact change because getting a dime and two pennies back in change is somehow just so awful, those who dispute 5 cents on an item, those with torn-up debit cards that don't work and they REFUSE to replace them and insist on you entering those 93 digits manually every time, people who buy cigarettes and fuss at having to show their ID when it's the law, you name it. Compared to any of that, phone users don't even rate the least.

This is nothing more than a further illustration of how it's somehow become fashionable and oh so predictable to bash phone usage. These people owe NOBODY an explanation (again, assuming no safety/noise/work avoidance issues) for how and why they use their phone as they do. Pay attention to your OWN life and stop butting your noise in other people's and you'll be a lot better off.

I agree with you if the parent is leaving with the child but I think this sign was posted because the parent is supposed to be communicating with staff when they arrive to pick up the child. And if you are on the phone when walking in the door then yes it looks weird.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:26 PM

11,802 posts, read 12,045,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by credit6 View Post
I agree with you if the parent is leaving with the child but I think this sign was posted because the parent is supposed to be communicating with staff when they arrive to pick up the child. And if you are on the phone when walking in the door then yes it looks weird.
This is a good point. Not only are you not paying attention to your child, you are also not paying attention to the person or people who have cared for your child all day and may have things to tell you about what kind of day your child had, how they behaved, whether or not they ate, slept, etc. No reason not to wrap up your call before picking up your child. It's hardly a time to be multitasking.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,172,683 times
Wondering how many people who think it's ok to frequently be on the phone while greeting their child would behave in the same manner to their parents, partners, bosses, etc. It sends a signal that what you are doing on your phone is more important than acknowledging that person in front of you. If it's inconsiderate to do it to others it's also wrong to do it to your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events