Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:31 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,278 times

Advertisements

America's Wireless Unlimited Plans Are Not Unlimited & Not Cheap. | The Huffington Post

So now comes the fine line.. and world competition. Why are we always last against other countries? Did the CEO finally gave in and saw that his numbers were declining and have no choice to offer this to counter pink and orange?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 09:52 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,110 times
It's about time.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:29 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
This still isn't unlimited in any way shape or form.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:30 AM

nothing is.. and 22 i can hit that in a week if i stay off wifi. But were still lagging behind other countries in speed and coverage.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,109 times
Hmmm .. right now with Verizon I am paying about $165 a month for 24 gb of data (which as someone said can go rapidly if one views even a few movies a month .. ask me how I know that).

I have a cellphone and a Mifi on that plan - and supposedly unlimited phone calls (and if it were not for incoming calls from one chatty friend, my usage there would probably much less than half an hour a month) and my smartphone is completely turned off from the internet so all internet usage is via the Mifi interface. Because I subscribe to a Canada/Mexico plan (I have reasons to call to and from Canada - but if I GO to Canada, it still costs me a lot more to make calls back to the US .. not to mention I had to buy a smartphone to be able to get any service there at all - and all data that I pay for for the Mifi access is useless to me up there too - it can't be used there), I also apparently these days need to keep the amount of GB I sign up for quite high - at least 16 GB I believe - to be able to have the 'unlimited call' stuff.

And it seems every change I make up and down on the # of GB I want (aside from being a nuisance in that there is only a single defined day every month on which I can make those changes it seems) may be seen as a 'plan change' which of course ALWAYS seems to mean that my 'contract' is extended. If not, then they keep changing things every time I turn around (have already twice arbitrarily changed my plan on me without me even knowing it and definitely not at my request) and if I want to change to a new plan entirely, I definitely will be trapped in a new contract.

The Mifi is slow (shouldn't be where I am and it is 4G) quite often during the day and evening .. for reasons I don't quite understand .. but it is also not as secure as cable connections from what I understand - which worries me greatly. The only thing that Verizon may have improved is letting excess data move from one month to the next (but if you don't use it up then it seems to disappear as well anyway). They get you coming or going.

OP .. thanks for starting this thread though. I will be trying to figure out what all this supposedly 'unlimited' stuff at Verizon is going to be about .. though it may not suit my needs and I may be stuck forever in my current situation.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:48 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
nothing is.. and 22 i can hit that in a week if i stay off wifi. But were still lagging behind other countries in speed and coverage.

Tell me about it. When I was in Okinawa unlimited meant unlimited.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
So I'm trying to understand ... I'm currently on the 4gb plan for $50. Unlimited is actually cheaper (I'm assuming because of the autopay discount). Is there anything I'm missing? Any disadvantage to switching that isn't slapping me in the face? Am I going to get locked into some contract where I can't change my plan for a gazillion years? Is the autopay discount only for a limited time and then the price will get jacked up? Why does this feel too good to be true?

ETA that I found one small downside. According to the website, the Unlimited Plan says "discounts not available," which I assume means I will lose my 18% employer discount.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:40 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
$80.00 for unlimited data..i am good with 2 gigs. I have WiFi at home and work. I limit the usage when i don't have WiFi to email, google map, and uber/lyft. I never go over 2 gigs and i get to rollover the unused data for 30 days. I have 1 gig of unused data that will roll-over on 2/20.

Oh tiddays!

Old 02-14-2017, 02:48 PM

That is what i dont get sometimes. i am using total wireless prepaid. I pay 35 a month for 5 gig. Same network and service just throttle to 5mb download. I dont watch movies on my phone but i do live video chat sometimes for meetings or see family members. I have to watch it or i will hit 5gig if i dont stay on wifi at work or at home due to video chat, emails with huge attachments i need, so on and so on. How is it they can offer prepaid at much much cheaper rate vs post paid for the exact same plan. Just one is throttle and other isnt. And stupid to charge a access fee just to get service. Its like paying a coverage charge at the bar.. you drink or u dont still get charged.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:15 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,759 times
I (and probably about 10 other people) still have the true VZW unlimited. However, I have to buy my phones for full price, and i'm scared to redeem any VZW rewards or change ANYTHING (besides my address) on my account. I always pay my bill on time (or early), don't ask for any extensions, due date changes, etc.

When I moved from a 3G to 4G device I went to the store, purchased my device, WATCHED THAT SALESPERSON LIKE A HAWK and viewed the transaction screen before she clicked Submit to make sure nothing was inadvertantly "oh, i'm so SORRY!!" changed (I used to work for VZW and know that if anything is cancelled/changed in a grandfathered plan, there is no going back). I'm waiting for them to come shut me down, but it hasn't happened yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events