Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 04:16 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times

Advertisements

A young woman, Carla Stefaniak, was celebrating her 36th birthday with her sister in law in costa rica went missing on 11/28. Her SIL left costa rica one day early leaving Carla all by herself. Her last messages to friends and family was telling them how it was raining heavily and the power in her Airbnb went out. She also stated that the area was sketchy. Today, a body has been discovered behind the airbnb.

Very sad for her family if the body is hers. People need to take extra precaution when traveling abroad. I was actually thinking about going to Costa Rica for surfing. I will probably stick to a Surfing Camp in which they provided everything for you. I would prefer 1st to get some familiarity with Costa Rica before venturing on my own.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/carla-s...-last-message/

https://heavy.com/news/2018/11/carla-stefaniak/

https://www.instagram.com/carla_marg...ource=ig_embed

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 12-03-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 04:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
I read about this and it’s very sad for the woman and her family. I don’t understand why an attractive single woman would want to stay in a sketchy area. I’ve been to San Jose two or three times, it’s fine if you stay in nice hotels, the streets are packed with locals and tourists.

I’ve browsed Airbnb, but some of the locations nationwide don’t look so great, one was in a national forest. Imagine how much worse it would be in a city outside the US. And what kind of screening process the people renting out their houses go through.

They found a body behind this Airbnb but I’m hoping it wasn’t her. The world is a dangerous place these days.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:56 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
I feel like the Uber/Taxi driver or the security dude at the airbnb are the perps. They saw her and her friend then noticed that she was solo and tried to make a move on her which she probably rejected and things went south from there.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:59 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
there is a movie series sort of like this.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:02 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
As to why she'd stay in a sketchy area (what difference does it make if she's attractive or not? Weird comment), they probably didn't know it was a sketchy area, and may have chosen Air B&B either because it was cheaper than other options, or else for the adventure of it. So much for adventure...

I'm a little surprised this would happen in Costa Rica, which not only gets a lot of North American tourists, but also has large N. Am. expat communities. But those communities probably have created their own bubble. I wonder if some Costa Ricans resent that? I know in Ecuador, the local Indigenous people, where one of the big expat communities is, don't appreciate property values suddenly skyrocketing, and other issues created by the "discovery" of their community by expat RE developers.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:19 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
As to why she'd stay in a sketchy area (what difference does it make if she's attractive or not? Weird comment), they probably didn't know it was a sketchy area, and may have chosen Air B&B either because it was cheaper than other options, or else for the adventure of it. So much for adventure...

I'm a little surprised this would happen in Costa Rica, which not only gets a lot of North American tourists, but also has large N. Am. expat communities. But those communities probably have created their own bubble. I wonder if some Costa Ricans resent that? I know in Ecuador, the local Indigenous people, where one of the big expat communities is, don't appreciate property values suddenly skyrocketing, and other issues created by the "discovery" of their community by expat RE developers.
Because like it or not, in many circumstances, females- especially attractive ones- are viewed as pieces of meat, to be devoured and discarded by predators. This is why pretty girls, especially, need to have heightened awareness of their environment and circumstances - in order to reduce their chances of becoming victims of sexual predators.

It is wise to research the safety of locations of Airbnb places, especially for single females, because the photos may be misleading.

Street smarts.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:23 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Because like it or not, in many circumstances, females- especially attractive ones- are viewed as pieces of meat, to be devoured and discarded by predators. This is why pretty girls, especially, need to have heightened awareness of their environment and circumstances - in order to reduce their chances of becoming victims of sexual predators.

It is wise to research the life locations of Airbnb places for safety, because the photos may be misleading.

Street smarts.
So, you're saying life is more expensive for pretty women, because they have to stay in higher-end hotels, and higher-end neighborhoods, to protect themselves? They attract more attention, and from the wrong people, then plain or average women would?

I'm not so sure that's true in Latin America. Being white and female is all it takes, to some extent.For one thing, they could kill you just for your passport. (Worth big money on Black Market) That has nothing to do with whether you're attractive or not. Not to mention the cash they might score, or the credit card, along with your passport.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:23 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post

It is wise to research the safety of locations of Airbnb places, especially for single females, because the photos may be misleading.

Street smarts.
I use Airbnb a lot. This is a bit of a no-brainer, one would think. You're literally staying in someone's house... Likely not in a tourist-heavy area. Research the area.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:32 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
People need to take extra precaution when traveling abroad. I was actually thinking about going to Costa Rica for surfing. I will probably stick to a Surfing Camp in which they provided everything for you. I would prefer 1st to get some familiarity with Costa Rica before venturing on my own.
Some perspective is in order.

Costa Rica gets 1.7 million tourists in a year. There is the usual petty crime (especially in San Jose) visitors getting murdered is extremely rare.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:32 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So, you're saying life is more expensive for pretty women, because they have to stay in higher-end hotels, and higher-end neighborhoods, to protect themselves? They attract more attention, and from the wrong people, then plain or average women would?

I'm not so sure that's true in Latin America. Being white and female is all it takes, to some extent.For one thing, they could kill you just for your passport. (Worth big money on Black Market) That has nothing to do with whether you're attractive or not. Not to mention the cash they might score, or the credit card, along with your passport.
I don’t know about more expensive. There may be places that are safe that may not be more expensive- just less desirable in location and amenities.

As for second part: yes, for certain sexual predators. Just an additional concern to take into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events