Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 03:59 PM

529 posts, read 369,841 times

Advertisements

Could we start a list to keep track of just exactly how many folks refuse to actually read anything before posting opinions based on fiction?

Old 03-28-2017, 04:14 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
People want to be comfortable on long flights.

Why do airline workers go on such a power trip with customers? The customer is ultimately the one who provides their salaries. And they shouldn't care if someone wants to wear leggings on the plane - they are covered up! Not exposing themselves inappropriately.
If you paid for your ticket, wear what you want.

If you are flying for free or reduced cost because an airline employee has shared one of their benefits with you, follow the airline rules and policy.

If you don't know all the facts, don't tweet about the situation.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Why do airline workers go on such a power trip with customers? The customer is ultimately the one who provides their salaries. And they shouldn't care if someone wants to wear leggings on the plane - they are covered up! Not exposing themselves inappropriately.
I'm guessing you only read the title of the thread an nothing else. The two women were not paying customers.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:40 PM

1,066 posts, read 765,552 times
Quote:

Which are not the facts in this story. The two in leggings were not customers. The person tweeting that caused this story to go viral didn't have her facts straight. No power trip by workers who were only enforcing their employer's rules for dress code travel, per non rev passengers.

The airline doesn't care what their paying passengers are wearing for the most part. Well maybe they have personal opinions, but they keep those to themselves.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace_country View Post
My mom was a flight attendant (not United) so I flew under her benefits many times. I'm not sure exactly what the dress code was, but it was definitely no jeans even. Never in a million years would I have worn leggings.
Yep. This whole thread is a non-issue. Anybody flying non-rev (non-revenue passenger) has a dress code. It's been relaxed over the years. In the old days, it was "dress for a business meeting". Now, it's business casual at most airlines. You're flying for free as an employee benefit. You dress as well as the best dressed passenger on the plane. You keep your mouth shut that you're a non-rev and do your best to be invisible. If you're sitting in first class, you defer your meal selection and take whatever is left.

I used to be a 100K+ level elite frequent flyer road warrior for a bunch of years. My then wife was an airline sales director. My stepmother was a flight attendant. The whole non-rev thing was so ingrained that I'd be sitting in first class as a revenue passenger on my upgrade coupons and tell the flight attendant to serve me last with whatever was left.

I wouldn't want to be the employee who handed out those buddy passes. I'd expect to get fired over it. The whole dress code and "be invisible" thing is really drilled into everyone. A viral news story is the antithesis of "be invisible".

Old 03-28-2017, 07:56 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Now celebrities like Christie Teigen are jumping on this "shame United" bandwagon.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:59 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:

Why do airline workers go on such a power trip with customers? .
They weren't customers. They were employee-surrogates. If they'd been bona-fide customers, paying for their tickets, the issue wouldn't have arisen. Also, the rules even for the employee freebies allow for comfortable attire.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Is that why DB Cooper wore that stupid tie?

Heck if I know... I wasn't even born until 1989. DB Copper did his thing in 1971.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Now that more of this situation has been aired in the media I have the following to say: The tweeter should come out and say that she should not have tweeted what she did because she didn't have all the facts; with an apology to United. The people that were flying non-rev and not following the dress code should come forward and apologize to United and ask everyone to stop taking United to task over this. Both parties should ask for everyone to let this go away. I realize that tact and class are in short supply these days. I will continue to dream.....

Old 03-29-2017, 02:09 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Yes if this country was still good Beretta thats what would happen!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events