Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:13 AM

11,775 posts, read 5,787,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That metro person may be responsible for who all knows what else during that time. Perhaps it would not be a good idea for her to let everything else fall by the wayside so that she can stay with a woman whose situation might be embarrassing but not dangerous. Unless you know differently of course.
So easy to come up with the woulda, coulda, shoulda without knowing all the facts.
Repped ya and didn't mean to - true the person might have had other responsibilities but someone should have been called to stay with the person if only to safeguard her tote. We have metros here and I know a few of the workers - not a hard job - much like your county and Federal office workers - 4 stand around talking while 1 works - but the responsibility of the metro workers is to assist the people - which not one of them was doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 11:33 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Repped ya and didn't mean to - true the person might have had other responsibilities but someone should have been called to stay with the person if only to safeguard her tote. We have metros here and I know a few of the workers - not a hard job - much like your county and Federal office workers - 4 stand around talking while 1 works - but the responsibility of the metro workers is to assist the people - which not one of them was doing.
So whose to say someone wasn't on the way? Or that the metro worker was hanging around in the area until someone else arrived? Perhaps the woman didn't want people around her (lord knows I wouldn't if it were me). She didn't seem to be upset or in distress to the point of needing to be comforted. It appears as though she was resigned to simply waiting patiently to be freed from an awkward predicament. The video clip and article really didn't provide much detail or a timeline so I think it's unfair to bash an employee when you don't actually have the details as to what was happening. But I know that everyone always seems to think there needs to be someone who did something wrong and needs to take the blame.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:04 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A woman got her noggin stuck between the doors of a 4 train in The Bronx — and fellow straphangers strolled right by without stopping to help her, a video shows.

https://nypost.com/2017/04/06/no-one...-subway-doors/
Heh! When I saw this thread title pop up in the active threads block I immediately thought of New York City and it turns out I was right.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:36 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,312,628 times
You have to consider the effects on society as a whole.
It's obvious that if you help her get free, then she won't learn her lesson, and she'll keep getting stuck and holding up the trains. And then other people will begin using their heads to hold the doors.

Thanks, random Internet PSA video taker for making subway travel more efficient.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:37 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Since help was on the way and bystanders can't easily pry the doors open, the least people could have done was stand around to increase the embarrassment of the poor woman's already uncomfortable situation.

Seriously, if it were me, I would want people to ignore me until the mechanic arrived to open the door. What's a bystander gonna do, pet my head? Give me sips of water?

The moral righteousness on this thread combined with the New York shaming is giving me a bigger headache than this poor lady probably had.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:52 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A woman got her noggin stuck between the doors of a 4 train in The Bronx — and fellow straphangers strolled right by without stopping to help her, a video shows.

https://nypost.com/2017/04/06/no-one...-subway-doors/
I wonder if that is why trains have those automated announcements: "Please stand clear, the doors are closing."

Old 04-09-2017, 08:01 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Why is this a news story? All you have to do is wait for the train operator to open the doors again, and this is exactly what happened. If anybody tried to "help" her, they would've been stopped by the MTA employee for trying to break the doors.

The train is not going anywhere.
That's probably why they didn't do anything.

In NJ, if some kid holds the door for their friends just fooling around etc by standing in the door (think PATH train,) they can hold the train up for quite some time.. the doors bounce back open. And no, there is not security etc. Sure, the conductor can come on the overhead, but that's all they can do. And hit the door button. They can't move the train until the doors are closed...

The NYC trains, I remember the 5 and 6, I may have got a 2 and 4 once.. They do close the doors a little more assertively, but I believe they look for this kind of thing. Not sure how they do subway police there.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:13 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
HELP that nice lady, WTF is wrong with people.

I am pretty much a prickish person....but there is no way I would have walked past her without trying to help!

Old 04-09-2017, 11:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I am pretty much a prickish person....but there is no way I would have walked past her without trying to help!
And what would you have done?

Old 04-09-2017, 11:36 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Bystander effect folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events