Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 06:41 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Never let your kids go to a pool or beach or river or lake or other water area unless they know how to swim or at least you are there to supervise. We had a pool for years and I NEVER let non swimmer kids come around the pool, even though I was always out there with them.
Yeah, I don't get it. We need more info on that part of the story. Was he the only one who went swimming? Or was he the only one left in the water, after the other kids got out? If so, why was he left there? Was no one watching the kids while they were swimming? Did no one check to make sure everyone was out? It wasn't a pool, it was a river, with currents and unpredictable conditions under the water--a steep drop-off in depth, maybe, or sharp objects in the sand. Any guardians should know a river is a risky enough situation that the kids need to be watched.

I don't understand how this could have happened, except through gross negligence.
'
Oh, and P.S. Belize has crocodiles. All the locals know that, including the staff at the resort the kids were staying at. There's really no way to fence off a section of river from wildlife. But I guess it wasn't the wildlife that got him, because his body was dredged up intact. Still, it could have happened.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-21-2017 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 06:46 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

I do understand her pain. What an awful loss. But kids who can't swim (if that's the case here) shouldn't be allowed in the water. And it's not up to the chaperones to know that if they aren't informed, IMHO.
This is a good point, and we don't know all the facts of the case, unfortunately. But the kid got out there, far from shore in deep water, somehow. Presumably he swam at least part of the way. Someone else suggested he may have got caught in a current that pulled him down, or maybe he got tired. I hope this story has a follow-up. It's frustrating with these tragedy stories, how they only give the brief outline of the story, and leave you hanging for the crucial details.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:51 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've chaperoned trips and kids can run in all different directions and sometimes no matter HOW careful you are, someone breaks a leg. I'm happy to say I've never chaperoned an event where someone was seriously injured - but from what I can see in the very blurry short video, the chaperones were right there. It's not like they were 10 yards away drinking beer. Sometimes, accidents happen.

I wonder how well this boy could swim, and whether it was clear to the mother that there would be a river swimming component on the trip. My guess is, that will be brought up in court if that's the case - that she knew the kids would be swimming in a river during their stay.

I say this because I was a boy scout volunteer who was in charge of swim testing boys before boy scout camp. These two boys couldn't swim to save their lives - literally, if they fell off a fishing pier in a lake they couldn't swim the 5 feet to a pier pylon to hang on before rescue. Both boys moms wanted them to have "swimmer" status at camp so they wouldn't be humiliated having to wear a life jacket on the fishing pier which had no railing. I get that . . . but no. No, those boys would not be allowed near water over their heads without wearing a life jacket at all times.

I do understand her pain. What an awful loss. But kids who can't swim (if that's the case here) shouldn't be allowed in the water. And it's not up to the chaperones to know that if they aren't informed, IMHO.

apples to oranges

(last paragraph)......"But kids who can't swim "

If you had taken just 30 seconds to read the article you would have read............"Tomari continued to swim and then encountered difficulties"

Old 04-21-2017, 06:53 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
I think the school should be held responsible. It's negligence, plain and simple. It's not frivolous at all - I don't understand this thinking at all. Obviously the chaperones weren't doing their job - I don't need to see the video to know that fact. If my kid was injured during chemistry class because the teacher wasn't supervising, I'd hold the school liable. If It may have been an accident - doesn't mean it wasn't a preventable accident. Same for this situation. It's foreseeable that kids would run off, kids would be near water, etc. The school chaperones - in loco parentis - should have been vigilent, should have been closely supervising, etc.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:58 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I don't know, probably for those few cases where sovereign immunity does not exist or is exempted as I mentioned.
Confused with your question - Are you disagreeing with the existence of the legal doctrine of government sovereign immunity? It's well documented.
Do you think a lawyer for the boys mother even would have been involved if you can't sue ?

"The school refused to comment due to an ongoing litigation "

NO WHERE did I read any body say..........." you can't sue a school You can't sue a school "

Her lawyer knows you can sue or he wouldn't be taking the case.
The school knows she can sue or they wouldn't have used the phrase "on going litigation"

I hope she sues everybody involved and that she gets a huge chunk $$$$$$$$$$$.

It will send a message to complacent, negligent chaperones !

Old 04-21-2017, 07:04 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So would the parents be found negligent if that were the case? Probably not
Right. If that's the argument, then you have to go all the way. No way that a parent would be found negligent in such a case. So why should the school when tasked with the responsibilities of "parenthood?"

Edit: I watched the video. The school may be, indeed, in deeper trouble than I thought. Still, there are multiple sides to every story.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 04-21-2017 at 07:12 PM..

Old 04-21-2017, 07:05 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You can't sue the government, that includes local bodies such as the school board.
Well you can but from a legal standpoint, she is not likely to win due to government immunity laws (otherwise everyone would be suing the government for everything all the time). She would have to prove gross negligence.
You'd have to look at the level established under state/local law. The state/locality may have lowered the threshold for certain kinds of lawsuit. Negligence may very well be enough. Still, even with that standard, I don't see how the school district is at fault. This was a terrible accident/tragedy.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:51 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I think it's negligence. Just like if a child were struggling in your backyard pool and no one was watching. There have to be safety precautions in place to protect those who are placed in your care. What the heck was going on with the chaperones?

Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy
But I certainly don't like how they handled this thing. Supposedly no one knew her son was missing until they had a head count much later on.

However, 14 months later the mom got a video camera which filmed her son's last moments as he struggled in the water and cried out for help. Chaperones were visible in the video. Now why didn't anyone assist him, and how does this translate to him being unaccounted for until a later headcount?
Thats very sad... They ignored Jason in the water and he died also,remember friday the 13th??

THE MOTHER HAS EVERY RIGHT TO BE UPSET!!!!

Poor boy

Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
If he didn't know how to swim he should have stayed o shore. The school is not at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events