Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 01:24 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,494 times

Advertisements

I could be dreaming but I don't believe this ever happened when I was a kid in the 60's and early 70's.
How about anyone else, can you actually remember one that we can goggle and read about.

I remember one lovely spring night, coming home from a relatives and falling asleep. Weather was about 70, we had a HUGE 4 car garage. no chance for me to be cooked in the car. Air was not on in the house, just a lovely night. I wanted to sleep in the car, my dad said nope you are coming in the house. Picked me up and carried me in. What a killjoy. haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 01:42 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I could be dreaming but I don't believe this ever happened when I was a kid in the 60's and early 70's.
How about anyone else, can you actually remember one that we can goggle and read about.

I remember one lovely spring night, coming home from a relatives and falling asleep. Weather was about 70, we had a HUGE 4 car garage. no chance for me to be cooked in the car. Air was not on in the house, just a lovely night. I wanted to sleep in the car, my dad said nope you are coming in the house. Picked me up and carried me in. What a killjoy. haha
Yeah there's probably some good reasons though.

No social media
Cars didn't lock automatically after you exited car / no click button locks from key FOB
Kids weren't in car seats as much
Less distracted parents (cell phones etc...)

Old 06-28-2017, 02:26 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yeah there's probably some good reasons though.

No social media
Cars didn't lock automatically after you exited car / no click button locks from key FOB
Kids weren't in car seats as much
Less distracted parents (cell phones etc...)
And fewer cars with air conditioning so windows were left open

Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

It happened back then, today you just have 5x the population and 10x the media coverage and they love those sensational stories especially when you can in this day and age immediately splash the dead kids face up there for extra ratings.

Also in response to the OP, these things happen year round except in the other months they don't die or at least not as fast.

It takes a shockingly short period of time to kill someone in a car in 100 degree weather.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:10 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
The other link didn't work:
Texas mother accused of leaving two children to die in hot car to

Sickening. She sure taught them a lesson didn't she? The moron should never get out of jail.
Jail? All I need is a bullet and a ditch. Yes, I'll pull the trigger myself.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:12 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I really hate stories like this. On a 96 degree day, so imagine the temperature inside. Adults would open the door and bolt out of there after only a few seconds. It's torture.
It literally is. These poor babies...

Old 06-28-2017, 09:17 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Then things like this will keep happening so deal with it. People with mental issues shouldn't be allowed to have children. If said people feel that they are capable of harming their future children they should not be allowed to have them.

No more complaining about children being left in cars and getting heat stroke and dying. Let it go.
How does that even make sense? In real life was there ever anyone who sat and thought, "Gee, I think that someday I might be capable of harming my future children." I think not. If a person was in such a mental state in the first place that they thought such a thought, they were probably beyond making a wise decision to get themselves sterilized.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And fewer cars with air conditioning so windows were left open
And those windows had old-fashioned handles to roll them down, so a kid who fell asleep in the car--no carseat--and was forgotten by his caregivers, could roll the windows down by a pretty young age.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
No? Then what is the answer for stupid parents? . An average of 37 kids die from being in a hot car each year in the U.S., in some cases on a relatively mild day with only 70 F temperatures.

https://www.verywell.com/kids-in-hot-cars-alert-2634189

That's 37 children who will never have their first kiss or go to prom or have kids of their own.

That's just ONE site I'm sure it jumps up and down depending. IF your too busy with your life that you forgot that your children were in the car, then your not a fit parent. Why? Because your life no matter how successful came before them. I highly doubt there is a way to prove they were loving parent or how successful they were. Odds are they were on their cellphones or playing on social media to even care.
Well, that's your over-simplified and judgmental stance, but I don't see how you could have read the Washington Post article and still clutch on to that point of view other than from the desire to point fingers.

Lynn Balfour was obviously not on her cellphone or playing on social media. She was a military veteran working at JAG. A series of circumstances led to Bryce's death, and she is honest and speaks out about it. At least she is doing something to try to prevent it from happening again. Sitting aloft on the high horse isn't helpful to anyone.

None of this has to do with the original post story, which is about a woman who deliberately let her children die.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I read this article 5 years ago--it's one of the best pieces of journalism I've ever seen.
It is. Unfortunately, we have so many people on this thread, and in society in general, who do not have the discipline or intellectual curiosity to read an in-depth, full-length, well-researched article. The article must have been posted on these types of threads thirty times now, and it's still obvious that people haven't bothered to read it.

People just like to judge and point fingers at other people. It's one of those human nature defects that we should all be working to overcome in ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events