Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 08:54 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
"Sunscreen" didn't exist for millions and millions of years, yet we are still here, let that sink in for a moment.
'We' also used to live in the areas that our bodies had acclimated to. People didn't need melanin to protect against sunburn if they lived in an area that didn't get much sun. We've migrated away from the areas that were best suited to our bodies. This lady was a runner, but that climate didn't work well for her body so she needed to do more to adapt to the climate. In her case, she needed more clothing or sunscreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 10:52 AM

322 posts, read 286,342 times
Wow that's scary. I admit I'm not as vigilant as I should be in applying sunscreen but I do wear clothing that covers most of my body and don't spend excessive time in the sun so at least I'm somewhat protected.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times
I have had sunburns like this. Once on my shoulders, and I had to cut holes in my shirts until the burns healed. It was extraordinarily painful. I am a pale redhead, and even back when I was very young & widespread use of sunscreens was the exception, not the rule, I was very aware of protecting myself from sunburn. What people often don't understand is that even a high SPF doesn't mean no sunburn. All it does is offer a longer period of time that I can "safely" be out in the sun. With no sunscreen, I can be out in summer afternoon sun for 5-10 minutes, tops. 10 is really pushing it. I wear sunscreen all year long. I can't go to the beach between 10am & 5pm at the height of summer. If I am burning & apply sunscreen, it does hurt, but it is the sunburn that causes the sunscreen to hurt. I think the backs of her legs burned so badly because the most intense sun was to her back. It's easier to ignore because you aren't seeing it--there's no squinting, you are seeing your forearms turn reddish, etc. When she applied the sunscreen, she was already burning, and she likely was sweating, which caused the applied sunscreen to wash off.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:23 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
Maybe people died before they could develop skin cancer in earlier times. When you look at old pictures of people who spent a lot of time in the sun, you can see the damage that the sun did to their skin.

Just because you can't see any changes in your skin doesn't mean that the sun hasn't damaged it in some way.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:34 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Two of my children have been experiencing bad reactions to sunscreen for the last couple of years. Mainly their faces get swollen, splotchy, itchy, burning. Then a fine rough rash appears, like red sandpaper. Then they have rough, bumpy, dry, sandpaper skin for days afterward.

I can't figure out the rhyme or reason to it. It doesn't always happen with every application of sunscreen, and we've tried numerous, numerous different brands and formulas. But one rather consistent trigger seems to be reapplication when they are in the sun and sweaty (as this runner was, though, THANK HEAVENS my children's reactions haven't been as severe.)

We don't burn all that easily, so I've been trying to encourage hats and shade and clothing rather than sunscreen unless we're going to be out in the sun for an extended period of time.
Have you tried a mineral sunscreen? https://www.badgerbalm.com/c-24-natural-sunscreen.aspx

You also have to watch out for sunscreen in lip balm.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:26 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Two of my children have been experiencing bad reactions to sunscreen for the last couple of years. Mainly their faces get swollen, splotchy, itchy, burning. Then a fine rough rash appears, like red sandpaper. Then they have rough, bumpy, dry, sandpaper skin for days afterward.

I can't figure out the rhyme or reason to it. It doesn't always happen with every application of sunscreen, and we've tried numerous, numerous different brands and formulas. But one rather consistent trigger seems to be reapplication when they are in the sun and sweaty (as this runner was, though, THANK HEAVENS my children's reactions haven't been as severe.)

We don't burn all that easily, so I've been trying to encourage hats and shade and clothing rather than sunscreen unless we're going to be out in the sun for an extended period of time.
That's how I sunburn. No sunscreen, some sunscreen, or whatever--too much exposure & I burn, including bumpy rash, itching, pain, swelling, redness. The blisters don't form unless I've had a very bad burn, which hasn't happened in years. If there's no commonality with respect to sunscreen, it could well be the sun that is the common factor.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:29 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
That's how I sunburn. No sunscreen, some sunscreen, or whatever--too much exposure & I burn, including bumpy rash, itching, pain, swelling, redness. The blisters don't form unless I've had a very bad burn, which hasn't happened in years. If there's no commonality with respect to sunscreen, it could well be the sun that is the common factor.
But it NEVER happens without sunscreen.

The few times they've burned without sunscreen, it was strictly the typical warm, flushed, slightly tender skin (cheek or shoulders) never a swollen itchy sandpaper rash.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:35 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Have you tried a mineral sunscreen? https://www.badgerbalm.com/c-24-natural-sunscreen.aspx

You also have to watch out for sunscreen in lip balm.
Yes, I thought that was culprit! Until the last time this occurred (a couple of weeks ago at camp) when using only a mineral sunscreen

I suspect it's some chemical used in the production of sunscreen (an inactive ingredient rather than the active sunscreen itself) that causes a reaction when triggered by the sun. It's been very hard to find answers and our pediatrician had to clue what the cause might be. Trial and error. I need to keep a journal.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:42 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times
Wow, I thought my sunburn a couple years ago was bad and it was nothing compared to the pics. Bet she'll never agan forget to re-apply.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I always apply sunscreen because I'm a fair skinned strawberry blond. I went on a cruise once and forgot to reapply. I was so red that I turned purple! Got sun poisoning and couldn't leave the cabin for a whole day because it was too painful to even wear clothes! I never forgot to reapply again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events