Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I won't argue over which one is better, but they are really apples and oranges.

Star Trek is a platform for some pretty advanced social and historical commentary.

Star Wars presents universal human themes reflecting mythology and legend.

Both have value in their individual regards. Both have triumphs and failures in the execution of their respective missions.
I have met people who say you have to pick.

Ha!

B.S..

As someone who has seen all of both and read nearly every book of both (I read exceptionally fast, so this is hardly a Herculean effort), Star Trek wins on overall quality of story and depth of character. But to be fair, through tv and novels, they have far more time to develop both.

But I'd never choose between them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 03:52 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have met people who say you have to pick.

Ha!

B.S..

As someone who has seen all of both and read nearly every book of both (I read exceptionally fast, so this is hardly a Herculean effort), Star Trek wins on overall quality of story and depth of character. But to be fair, through tv and novels, they have far more time to develop both.

But I'd never choose between them.
Star Trek is more adult themed with deeper considerations and broader implications about ethics, morality and so forth not to mention intrigue and deeper issues all around.

Star Wars is more of a fun romp with swashbucklers hefting sabres made of light instead of metal and great comedy and one-liners.

I agree with you, both are great, just different.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Star Wars is more of a fun romp with swashbucklers hefting sabres made of light instead of metal and great comedy and one-liners.

I agree with you, both are great, just different.
. Yup.

Actually, there's a lot going on in SW that is not adequately demonstrated in the movies. Which is why most people think the prequels suck when in fact that time period was far more intriguing than the events of IV-VI.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 18 hours ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I can totally see some CD members doing something like this

'Star Wars' vs 'Star Trek' Debate Leads to Assault Arrest, Police Say
If you select at perfect random 1,000 people of any group, you're bound to get some unhinged types. Same thing for Sci-Fi / Space Opera fans.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:22 PM

744 posts, read 441,939 times
I like both, or at least I like the older stuff. With the sole exceptions of LOWER DECKS and ROGUE ONE, I can't say I care all that much for the current state of either series. But even in the old days I found the idea of "Star Trek vs Star Wars" laughable and never took it seriously.

Old 12-14-2022, 06:41 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I can totally see some CD members doing something like this

'Star Wars' vs 'Star Trek' Debate Leads to Assault Arrest, Police Say
It could have been a light saber vs Spock neck pinch challenge...........

My guess: they were recovering drug addicts and they were trying to obsess about anything except drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events