Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:52 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times

Advertisements

Must the police always bring maximum force? Is there a place for reasoned and proportioned response?

His parents said he just needed to sleep. A SWAT team came instead - The Boston Globe

Old 07-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
What a horrible story. I wonder, in the final analysis, what usually works best in this situation?

Obviously the police believed they were doing the right thing, that would most likely result in a safe outcome for everyone.

It's not clear that he would be alive today had they retreated and left him alone, but maybe.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
It's the militarization of the police. Plus, the guy said he'd shoot anyone who came upstairs to get him. That's what escalated the police response.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:01 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
The Police have no choice but to meet every threat or perceived threat with great force because we have seen where Police have been ambushed and gunned down for no other reason then they wear a badge.

Society is becoming unhinged and the cops are facing ever increasing threats from drug induced crazy people to suicide by cop scenarios to possible terrorism where it has never been seen before so the cops need to go in "heavy".

Old 07-16-2017, 09:17 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Police have no choice but to meet every threat or perceived threat with great force because we have seen where Police have been ambushed and gunned down for no other reason then they wear a badge.
Yeah.

A suicidal guy in an upstairs bedroom begging to be left alone.

That just screams 'Planning to ambush cops!' ...

Old 07-16-2017, 09:41 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Society is becoming unhinged and the cops are facing ever increasing threats from drug induced crazy people to suicide by cop scenarios to possible terrorism where it has never been seen before so the cops need to go in "heavy".
Your source that LEOs are facing ever increasing threats? LEO's job is safer than that of a taxicab driver. A taxicab driver is twice as likely as a cop to be murdered on the job. Of course that's probably because we don't allow taxicab drivers to preemptively shoot their customers, if they "perceive" the customer is a threat. If taxicab drivers were shooting their customers over "perceived" threats, I have a feeling that people would get a little "unhinged" about that too.

Charted: The 20 deadliest jobs in America

Old 07-16-2017, 09:55 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's the militarization of the police. Plus, the guy said he'd shoot anyone who came upstairs to get him. That's what escalated the police response.
This sums it up!

Old 07-16-2017, 10:20 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
I read this article this morning, pic showing the dad crying was great clickbait.

If the kid just needed to sleep then why did the parents call the cops?

If the dad knew Jr was having some issues why not lock up all the guns in the house (be proactive)?

Article is slanted towards "bad cops, out to kill" and unsympathetic that the parents couldn't be with the deceased son's dog but in reality did the reporter ever consider the dog was a bloody mess from being in the same room as a gunshot victim? Those cops protect themselves first and then try to save Jr. from himself.

I think the parents knew the kid was distraught but are now blaming the cops for their sons poor decision making......

Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yeah.

A suicidal guy in an upstairs bedroom begging to be left alone.

That just screams 'Planning to ambush cops!' ...
Actually even his parents admit that "the guy said he'd shoot anyone who came upstairs to get him"

If I was the decision maker and it meant losing an officer or letting Jr blow out his brains......bye bye Jr

Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I read this article this morning, pic showing the dad crying was great clickbait.

If the kid just needed to sleep then why did the parents call the cops?

If the dad knew Jr was having some issues why not lock up all the guns in the house (be proactive)?

Article is slanted towards "bad cops, out to kill" and unsympathetic that the parents couldn't be with the deceased son's dog but in reality did the reporter ever consider the dog was a bloody mess from being in the same room as a gunshot victim? Those cops protect themselves first and then try to save Jr. from himself.

I think the parents knew the kid was distraught but are now blaming the cops for their sons poor decision making......
The parents didn't call the cop. His ex-girlfriend did. He had a conversation with her that led to the events.

The moral of story, you break up with someone, the sun will go down and rise again tomorrow.

I think everyone involved is at fault. The police obsession with role-playing a scene out of an action film, the ex-girlfriend who went to the police first instead of letting the parents deal with the son and the parents for not doing enough sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events