Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 12:22 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times

Advertisements

I should have read the story. I just don't want to believe someone would do that on purpose. What was/is so pressing in a day that a person could forget about a child in the back seat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 12:23 PM

603 posts, read 445,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
Not all do it on purpose, I say develop and put some sort of motion or pulse detector/seat alert in cars that prevents and/or alerts that there is a living- breathing organism still inside...child, animal.
It gives a unique beep when something with a heartbeat is still inside. Press the key fob again after checking inside, the car is now safely locked.

How about an audio alert like we used to have..."Your lights are on"?

"You locked you car with someone still in it"!

This would alert preoccupied drivers and potential witnesses that they were warned.

If somebody forgets, they are given a reminder, if they mess up, they are given a drug and alcohol test, check their bank accounts (or lack thereof), and their fidelity...saying goodbye to the past (kid) and starting anew with someone else and a potential new child.

No one is supposed to go on "cruise control" when a kid is involved.
You know the "ding" reminder you get if your vehicle is moving and either the driver or passenger is not wearing a seat belt? How hard would it be to have a similar "ding" to alert you when you turn off your engine that the seat belt for the carrier is in lock position? I guess people could become immune to that after awhile.

Until they come up with some sort of safety mechanism the best advice is to leave your purse, phone, or wallet in the backseat with the kid. Sad.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:09 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
I wonder if anyone has ever arrived to park at work & then realized that the baby was still in the car?

If I had ever done that it would make my hair stand up on end thinking of the "what-if's"

Old 08-06-2017, 02:13 PM

1,248 posts, read 823,835 times
How exactly can you forget a living, breathing, moving, crying, making other noises baby (or animal for that matter) - unless you are deaf?

Old 08-06-2017, 02:31 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
How exactly can you forget a living, breathing, moving, crying, making other noises baby (or animal for that matter) - unless you are deaf?
Or the baby is asleep. They do sleep you know...and are pretty quiet and often still when they do.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:05 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
These people are as stupid as those who text while driving. All the information in the world won't smarten them up. Babies and the rest of us will continue to die at their hands because they are too stupid to learn.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I wonder if anyone has ever arrived to park at work & then realized that the baby was still in the car?

If I had ever done that it would make my hair stand up on end thinking of the "what-if's"
I think that probably happens a LOT. It happened to a coworker of mine many years ago. She went to drop the baby off at a home daycare, and there was an obviously sick child in the home so my coworker decided to pick up some work from the office and do it at home. When she got to the office, we were having an emergency and she went into emergency mode and forgot about the baby until about an hour later. This was in August. Suddenly she shouted from her office "MY BABY!!!!!" and ran out of the building. Thankfully she had been lucky enough to park under a big shady oak tree and the baby was fine. But yeah. We ruefully refers to that as "the time I tried to kill my baby". Because . . . what could have been . . .

I think probably fairly often a daycare will call, or someone will walk by the car and see the screaming baby, or something will trigger a memory of not having dropped the baby off, and the baby is no worse for the wear and the parents have felt a cosmic warning.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:53 PM

2,180 posts, read 2,318,692 times
Why doesn't this happen often in the winter? Usually in the heat of the summer? Is that weird to anyone else?

Old 08-06-2017, 05:00 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Why doesn't this happen often in the winter? Usually in the heat of the summer? Is that weird to anyone else?
Maybe it does happen in the winter, but since the baby is warm and dry in the car and the parent is mortified, we don't hear about it.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:12 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe it does happen in the winter, but since the baby is warm and dry in the car and the parent is mortified, we don't hear about it.
How warm and dry is the baby if the temp is running in the teens? I know my car parked in shelter overnight is pretty cold when I go to start it in the A.M. I surely wouldn't want to sit in it for eight hours in a parking lot.

All the warnings in the world won't sink in because everybody thinks "that couldn't possibly happen to me".

My dtr-in-law had two little girls and a new job. She showed up at work one morning and the older child piped up from the back seat, "What is this place?" This is an intelligent, responsible woman but this one day she was obviously distracted.

All's well that ends well but it could have ended badly.'

My youngest son left for school early in the day and frequently forgot his lights were on by the time he arrived for class. After the third time, I wrote a note and taped it to his steering wheel CHECK LIGHTS. It never happened again. Why not CHECK BABY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events