Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:14 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I've been saying for a very long time that there's something wrong with the way boys are raised in our culture. Too many become arrogant and cocky in their late teens and 20's. Fortunately, they're not all that way; not all think of women as "not sentient beings". Not all have these hidden attitudes (that was one of the shockers for me, in your story). But why are there so many that do? Who is raising these people? Is this the result of a lack of parental involvement and guidance?

Also, the bit about the motor-mouth types, who interrupt constantly, and dominate the conversation. I didn't know that behavior was selectively deployed, toward only one gender. I always wondered how those types managed to have any friends. Maybe you're right; they save their listening skills for their peers, and other males. It's sad, though, because these are people who alienate their own family members; their own daughters, including. They seem to modulate that behavior to prevent their wives from leaving, lol.

There are studies that show that men interrupt women more than they interrupt other men.

I'm not one to have a knee jerk reaction against men about every little thing. But sometimes you can't help but notice behavior that is just too obvious to ignore.

None of the men who interrupt me are more intelligent than I am. If anything, I tend to be more logical than they are. It certainly isn't the quality of my words being disrespected. It's my gender. I would not venture to say that if I hadn't observed that they rarely interrupt other men.

One of my male friends is particularly bad about this. Lately, when I begin to talk and he inevitably interrupts my very first sentence, I'll keep talking and get louder just to see what will happen. Guess what happens? He doesn't even notice I'm still talking. He will just keep talking over me completely unaware.

Truly bizarre.

I think there's a major malfunction in their brain wiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 01:42 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
There are studies that show that men interrupt women more than they interrupt other men.

I'm not one to have a knee jerk reaction against men about every little thing. But sometimes you can't help but notice behavior that is just too obvious to ignore.

None of the men who interrupt me are more intelligent than I am. If anything, I tend to be more logical than they are. It certainly isn't the quality of my words being disrespected. It's my gender. I would not venture to say that if I hadn't observed that they rarely interrupt other men.

One of my male friends is particularly bad about this. Lately, when I begin to talk and he inevitably interrupts my very first sentence, I'll keep talking and get louder just to see what will happen. Guess what happens? He doesn't even notice I'm still talking. He will just keep talking over me completely unaware.

Truly bizarre.

I think there's a major malfunction in their brain wiring.
the way its always been , women were to be quiet and demure while the men bragged and spoke about football... I thought that had all changed now.. I dont allow it to happen as its always annoyed me when young... men always took over the conversations and pushed theirselves out in front at parties , weddings etc..

Old 08-18-2017, 03:21 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
This must be the worst decision ever by any court surely... madness to put this young girl through this.... Ten-year-old rape victim gives birth in India - CNN
There is absolutely nothing right about this situation. The ultimate victim is the child who is inbred, adopted out, etc. The second ultimate victim (and most emotionally impacted should she find out) is the girl. The uncle should be castrated and cast out. As our dear leader might say, "bad."

Old 08-18-2017, 05:45 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
How can kids even get pregnant at 10 if we're not supposed to have babies until we are 18-25? Makes no sense to me.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:47 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Could not agree more! Shame on the parents for not taking the child in when she was just a couple months along.
I've read articles saying they simply did not think about her being pregnant since she was only 10 - a terrible situation. However, I don't know if there are any countries that don't have a limit on how close to term a pregnancy can be before disallowing it. Unfortunately things like this do happen in the U.S. as well.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:50 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
What a horrible situation for this poor girl! The article states the parents of the girl did not ask for an abortion until she was 26 weeks pregnant. Even at 26 weeks a baby could survive. The whole situation is disgusting! And the parents are ashamed of the girl and the baby!?! It's their culture and it's sad!

Old 08-18-2017, 05:53 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
How can kids even get pregnant at 10 if we're not supposed to have babies until we are 18-25? Makes no sense to me.
Did you read the article? She was raped by her uncle! Girls can get pregnant as soon as they menstruated so at ten years of age it's possible!

Old 08-18-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post

The way its always been , women were to be quiet and demure while the men bragged and spoke about football... I thought that had all changed now.. I dont allow it to happen as its always annoyed me when young... men always took over the conversations and pushed theirselves out in front at parties , weddings etc..
I never thought it was supposed to be that way.

You can be feminine and still have valuable things to say. I don't "allow" it either, but I get so tired of fighting for my right to speak. It gets old.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 PM

My ex husband was just telling me the other day that he used to be on an Internet forum where people talked about various topics.

He said one of the men wrote a post about all the things he would do if he could get away with it. My ex said it was really sickening stuff.

Everyone was in disbelief that the guy would put all that on a public forum. These monsters walk among us.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:54 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarac View Post
well, to be fair, the uncle has been criminally charged in this case.
yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events