Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,335,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Thanks for clearing that up BigD, Whitechapel certainly has a large immigrant population, I believe it's around 68 or 69%, mainly Somali and Bangladeshi, I don't know if they have more of a tendency to chuck anything and everything down the kitchen sink than Londoners who have bloodlines going back to the Norman Invasion.
I would think that long term Londoners of British stock are just as likely to jettison their junk down the sink or toilets, out of sheer laziness.
Personally, I and my wife pour cooking oil into the earth in our back yard, but we both put wet wipes in the toilet, but only the ones that are bio-degradable, the wet wipes that my wife uses to remove make-up are put in the household waste trash can.
I'll put it this way...I've seen & met a lot of different kinds of people in Europe and in the USA, and in my experience it's more often people from third world countries who foul up a house's plumbing because they're not used to our mod cons and don't know what can and can't go down the drain/toilet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 03:04 AM

27,270 posts, read 13,540,429 times
TBF London's Victorian Sewer System has been under a lot of pressure as the population of London has increased, which is why London has just started building a £4.2 Billion Super Sewer known as the Thames Tideway Tunnel which will be as wide as three London buses, and take sewage to pumping stations and sewage treatment plants to the east of the city.

Thames Tideway Tunnel

What is the Thames Tideway Tunnel? - Corporate - Thames Water

London's Thames Tideway Tunnel super sewer is finally under construction | City A.M.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-15-2017 at 03:18 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 06:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,335,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
TBF London's Victorian Sewer System has been under a lot of pressure as the population of London has increased, which is why London has just started building a £4.2 Billion Super Sewer known as the Thames Tideway Tunnel which will be as wide as three London buses, and take sewage to pumping stations and sewage treatment plants to the east of the city.

Thames Tideway Tunnel

What is the Thames Tideway Tunnel? - Corporate - Thames Water

London's Thames Tideway Tunnel super sewer is finally under construction | City A.M.
Then I'm sure they'll make a documentary about it.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:51 PM

560 posts, read 788,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Well, if it's "rock-solid" then it may have already undergone SAPONIFICATION: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saponification

Another thought, is that the 'wipes' (and other things that get flushed, these days) may contain ANTIMICROBIALS, which may have inhibited the normal breakdown of fats by microbes.

We were taught not to compost fats, but have always done so, to no ill-effect. We still get remarkable topsoil. And our Compost Tea seems to enliven every plant it touches.
I think what they've got on their hands is the world's biggest soap ball! With a little imagination, and a few hundred willing participants, this king-sized orb of fat could be converted into tiny soap balls! Just add herbs, perfume, and lye. Then place it in an enormous food processor and roll them by hand. Food color is optional.

These soap balls could be distributed to homeless people around the globe!

Old 09-16-2017, 02:11 AM

27,270 posts, read 13,540,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Then I'm sure they'll make a documentary about it.
Not sure I want to watch a documentary about the new super sewer, just glad there will be less strain on the old system.

It's really just Crossrail for poo.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Have you ever seen the "Filthy Cities" series that aired on PBS? It's disgusting and fascinating at the same time. One of the cities they covered was medieval London, and let's just say I'm shocked any of our ancestors survived so we could be here today.
OK now I have to go check out that show!

Old 09-16-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What's the name of that book, KA? I find these topics morbidly fascinating. Wish I had seen that PBS special!

Not in our condo, but in many places here you can't even flush TP. Pipes can't handle it.

NOTE TO ALL-----DO NOT flush sanitary/baby wipes!!

Condo in TX I lived in had the whole system dug up due to a clog of baby-wipes. Bane of plumbers!

We quit using our garbage disposal ages ago----they are so problematic. In my sister's retirement home they are taking them all out, as the seniors just can't get a handle on proper usage. They don't even exist here at all.
The book I read was called "Dirty Old London." Also, there's a GREAT book on the history of London called "London: A Biography" by Peter Ackroyd and there is at least one chapter (maybe more) on the history of London's waste management, or lack thereof, over the ages.

Oh and I forgot - I also read this book a long time ago: "London Under" also by Peter Ackroyd. I love his writing style and his attention to detail.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:46 AM

9,380 posts, read 7,001,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I think part of the problem is that some of London's sewer system goes back to Roman times.
Yet London and Rome have far more effective sewers and waste management than Rio.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
What's the name of that book? I'm curious now. Wanna look for it on Amazon.
See above.

They are all good!

Old 09-17-2017, 06:05 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,600,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
I think what they've got on their hands is the world's biggest soap ball! With a little imagination, and a few hundred willing participants, this king-sized orb of fat could be converted into tiny soap balls! Just add herbs, perfume, and lye. Then place it in an enormous food processor and roll them by hand. Food color is optional.

These soap balls could be distributed to homeless people around the globe!
I started to read this, then thought, no, I must have missed something, let's start over, but I was right, Seadory had typed what I was reading.
I thought, this guy must be smoking some powerful s**t, then I checked his location, and it all became clear to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events