Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 02:28 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times

Advertisements

This one, I do think is excessive. Now.. I won't weigh in on the show where half the audience is on the Union side and half on the Confederate side.. That I could see perhaps leading to some offense.. but the name itself?

What is inherently offensive about Dixie?

Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede drops 'dixie,' citing attitude change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 02:30 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
good!

and about those Dixie Cups...

Old 01-10-2018, 02:36 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Just another fine example of chronically offended whiners getting their politically correct way!
Yes, Mr. Mayor, it is quite likely that all references to "Dixie" are on their way to the chopping block, along with all references to the Confederacy.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:07 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
The Wimpification of America continues. We must be the laughing stock of the world.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:34 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,820,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
good!

and about those Dixie Cups...
I was almost shocked until I saw you were in california lol

Old 01-10-2018, 05:56 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
This one, I do think is excessive. Now.. I won't weigh in on the show where half the audience is on the Union side and half on the Confederate side.. That I could see perhaps leading to some offense.. but the name itself?

What is inherently offensive about Dixie?

Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede drops 'dixie,' citing attitude change
Nothing is inherently offensive. Period. All offense is subjective. People like to assure themselves that the only things that offend them are things that 'really are' offensive, but that's because they can't handle the idea that their own subjective opinions aren't objective facts.

The fact is that this company concluded that 'Dixie' in the name was more of a marketing hindrance than an asset and made the logical business decision that followed from that conclusion. It's no different than 'Kentucky Fried Chicken' becoming 'KFC' (in order to remove do distance itself from the unhealthy association of the word 'fried'), or Isis Chocolates changing its name (does anyone really need that explained?), or the Cincinnati Reds becoming the 'Redlegs' for most of the 1950s (out of mortal fear of being linked to communism).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Just another fine example of chronically offended whiners getting their politically correct way!
Ironically, it appears that the only people actually offended are those of you having tantrums over this name change.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:11 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
I am a little disappointed that Dolly bent to PC pressure. It comes and goes like the wind. I thought she would see it through if it is important to her.

But she is an astute businesswoman and knows what to do with her business model.

I hope she changes the whole concept of the horse show. North against South seems out of place if Dixie is out of place because times have changed

Old 01-11-2018, 07:17 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
So, as usual, there was NO whining - except from those in this thread.

"In a statement, Parton, 71, said the change was made in an effort to update the shows for a planned worldwide expansion. Currently the shows are featured at dinner theaters in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and Branson, Missouri.

“Our shows currently are identified by where they are located,” Parton said. “Some examples are Smoky Mountain Adventures or Dixie Stampede. We also recognize that attitudes change and feel that by streamlining the names of our shows, it will remove any confusion or concerns about our shows and will help our efforts to expand into new cities.”"

Old 01-11-2018, 08:01 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

"In a statement, Parton, 71, said the change was made in an effort to update the shows for a planned worldwide expansion. Currently the shows are featured at dinner theaters in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and Branson, Missouri.

“Our shows currently are identified by where they are located,” Parton said. “Some examples are Smoky Mountain Adventures or Dixie Stampede. We also recognize that attitudes change and feel that by streamlining the names of our shows, it will remove any confusion or concerns about our shows and will help our efforts to expand into new cities.”"
Yup.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:09 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

Precisely.

The whining is coming from those who are so eager to be offended that they've assumed that the name change was done for 'politically correct' reasons (note: their definition of political correctness is avoidance of anything that offends others - but if it offends them, then avoiding it isn't 'politically correct' - yes, the self-absorption is breathtaking). I'm sure they're profoundly disappointed that it's just a routine marketing strategy.

PS - In an off-the-charts bit of irony, it's the same crowd that loved that whole freedom fries thing a while back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events