Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 10:14 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Now that the guy is out on bond and said that he will steal another gun as soon as he gets out, will he go to another Academy Sports and do it again since he knows everyone will be fearing for their jobs now?
Just about all corporate retail stores have the same policy.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's the other drawback to this policy. It's one thing if shoplifers stealing clothes or shoes become bolder because they know no attempt will be made in the store to stop their theft; it's quite another when the item being targeted for theft is a firearm.
So you want to make $8.00 an hour employees responsible now for stopping gun thefts?? Let the store take greater measures via hiring a security guard or have the guns locked up till a license is given, but I don't think it should fall on the shoulders of untrained low wage workers to stop thefts. Any company that allowed untrained workers to double as security guards would be foolish, as it's a lawsuit waiting to happen and puts both employees and customers at risk.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The store would not have had any legal liability in that circumstance. There is a federal law that says so.
Link?

Old 07-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Worse yet, academy could be held civilly liable if some attorney thinks it's too easy to steal a weapon from academy based on academy's policies. Then the manager could still lose his job. I've seen employees lose their job for following policy before.
Again, almost all corporate stores have the same policy. Policy or no policy, there is no way the store could be held liable because an untrained store manager didn't decide he was a security guard.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:37 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
Speaking of lawsuits, let's say the perp stole the pistol, then robbed a convenience store, killing the clerk and a customer in the process, and then the cops shot him. Could the families of the victims sue the gun store for allowing the pistol to be stolen? Could the family of the perp sue the store for allowing their husband/father/son/brother to steal the gun and ammunition?
Worrying about lawsuits can, indeed, become a very slippery slope!
When I was a kid store owners/employees didn't have any qualms at all about stopping a shoplifter. Of course, it was a very different world in the late 1940s/early 1950s.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Speaking of lawsuits, let's say the perp stole the pistol, then robbed a convenience store, killing the clerk and a customer in the process, and then the cops shot him. Could the families of the victims sue the gun store for allowing the pistol to be stolen? Could the family of the perp sue the store for allowing their husband/father/son/brother to steal the gun and ammunition?
Worrying about lawsuits can, indeed, become a very slippery slope!
When I was a kid store owners/employees didn't have any qualms at all about stopping a shoplifter. Of course, it was a very different world in the late 1940s/early 1950s.
People commit crimes with stolen guns probably every 53 seconds in this country. I don't remember hearing any rash of lawsuits. Maybe he was stealing the gun to sell it.

There are all kinds of "what-if'" scenarios. The guy didn't steal any bullets.

I don't want to make light of gun crimes, but at this very second there are criminals at gun shows in Virginia buying guns to sell in the streets of Chicago. People are so concerned about this one gun, when its one of thousands of guns that will end up in a criminals hands. People are acting like the future of the free world was at stake because this guy was going to steal one gun, it's just wacky thinking to me.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 AM

10,346 posts, read 8,563,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
People commit crimes with stolen guns probably every 53 seconds in this country. I don't remember hearing any rash of lawsuits. Maybe he was stealing the gun to sell it.

There are all kinds of "what-if'" scenarios. The guy didn't steal any bullets.

I don't want to make light of gun crimes, but at this very second there are criminals at gun shows in Virginia buying guns to sell in the streets of Chicago. People are so concerned about this one gun, when its one of thousands of guns that will end up in a criminals hands. People are acting like the future of the free world was at stake because this guy was going to steal one gun, it's just wacky thinking to me.
Actually I believe he was stealing both the gun and the bullets for it at the same time. Hence my question about what if he loaded the firearm in the store.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:48 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Link?
Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act of 2005.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:21 PM

297 posts, read 166,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Since these address my experience, I will clarify a few things.

As the security guard, my job was to deter, observe, and report. I was not to touch, restrain, detain, question, follow, confront, search, or otherwise interract with potential shoplifters. I was allowed to ask people to bring their "purchases" to the cashier. The deterrence came in the form of being visibly present as a uniformed officer. In terms of power to actively prevent stealing, I had none.

Now, some stores have the insurance and legal protection to employ inventory control officers who do have the authority from the store management to actively intervene in a shoplifting event. But most unarmed, uniformed security guards you see in retail settings are just boogey men, there to scare people into not stealing.

Had I physically grabbed the perpetrator, I would have been fired, my company would likely have lost the contract, and I could have been sued.

The most I ever did was stand directly in front of the exit, but even then the thief would only need to push past me and I would have let them go.
Thanks, this is a very clear picture. Sad that it benefits the worse among us and doesn't inspire any sort of safety and security for the rest of us.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's common in retail. You don't place yourself, your coworkers, or your customers in danger over merchandise. If that guy had been armed and shot someone the company would have a lot bigger loss than just the cost of the gun and ammo. I know it doesn't seem fair, but the mgr has had training and should have known there was a policy in place against doing what he did. He bears a big chunk of the responsibility for the termination.

Exactly.

And it has nothing to do with a thief having more rights than the manager. The manager knew the policy (because ALL retail places are trained on this) but he decided to go all Rambo. I don't have a lot of sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events