Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:57 PM

33 posts, read 20,658 times

Advertisements

The idea wasn't bad...but hello!! Of course they'd sell out! Normally those bears plus accessories are about $40! So heck...I'd definitely get in line and pay what...$3? No Brainer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 04:51 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLonely View Post
The idea wasn't bad...but hello!! Of course they'd sell out! Normally those bears plus accessories are about $40! So heck...I'd definitely get in line and pay what...$3? No Brainer!
They didn’t sell out. They had to end the promotion early because of the crowds. And Accessories weren’t included in the promotion. Just the bears.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:00 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
I checked out the Build a Bear website and the bears don't look all that special to me. Of course I haven't been a kid in a long time.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:24 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLonely View Post

As long as you don't add any accessories, a lot of the bears/animals they have are fairly reasonable in price. My kid got a bunny and it was normally $16 but after the 25% discount we received it was only $12. It's a larger bunny and pretty darn cute so it was worth it to us.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:04 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I checked out the Build a Bear website and the bears don't look all that special to me. Of course I haven't been a kid in a long time.
The appeal of BaB isn't just the bears themselves, but the customization of all the accessories that are available, as well as the "experience" of building the bear/animal. The child picks the animal they want, and it's just the empty flat exterior. They go to this big machine that blows the stuffing into the animal (as soft or as firm as they want) so they watch it come to "life" ... they pick a heart and make a wish and put it inside before it's sewn up. They can also choose to put in some sort of audio effect (for example, they can record a message and put it inside ... nice if the animal is being given as a gift). They also get to sit at a computer and enter their name and generate an adoption certificate. Where it gets really expensive is all the various outfits and accessories so they can create whatever they want. Their bear can be a princess, or a rock star, or a firefighter, or a quarterback for their favorite football team ... etc. etc. etc...

Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The appeal of BaB isn't just the bears themselves, but the customization of all the accessories that are available, as well as the "experience" of building the bear/animal. The child picks the animal they want, and it's just the empty flat exterior. They go to this big machine that blows the stuffing into the animal (as soft or as firm as they want) so they watch it come to "life" ... they pick a heart and make a wish and put it inside before it's sewn up. They can also choose to put in some sort of audio effect (for example, they can record a message and put it inside ... nice if the animal is being given as a gift). They also get to sit at a computer and enter their name and generate an adoption certificate. Where it gets really expensive is all the various outfits and accessories so they can create whatever they want. Their bear can be a princess, or a rock star, or a firefighter, or a quarterback for their favorite football team ... etc. etc. etc...
Oh ok, I guess that sounds slightly more exciting.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:20 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Exactly this. I was told this clearly when I interviewed with them. Its an experience, the merchandise is just the end result.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:59 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
I went camping with my kids and somehow the bear w/ the beating heart ended up under my sleeping bag. Middle of the night I felt that heart beating--and I didn't move a muscle for hours cuz I thought there was a raccoon under me.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Oh no! Trust me. It was that bad. My kid works at one. It was a nightmare.
I went out for the first Black Friday, decades ago. Have never gone out again on that day. Sent my hubby one time and he was furious with me! Hey, we needed a new Christmas tree!!

Quote:
Some people don't mind waiting in line for a while because they still have a quality that seems to be greatly lacking in a lot of people these days ... PATIENCE.

I remember a few years ago I went to New York City and stood in line for nearly 2 hours (on a cold, rainy January morning) for discounted Broadway tickets. And honestly, we had a blast waiting in line, talking to (and even singing with) everyone standing in line with us. Waiting in line isn't always a bad thing, especially if you get some benefit out of it in the end.
I stood in line for 3 hours before a store opened to snag tickets to Garth Brooks. The show sold out and I was still nowhere near the beginning of the line! Garth added another show. STILL got tickets up in the rafters but I sure was happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, and its nothing like the media wants you to believe. I worked retail on Black Friday, and also go shopping almost every Black Friday. Its no different then any other day, except for being a little busier,
Yeah, and I will buy that bridge from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I went camping with my kids and somehow the bear w/ the beating heart ended up under my sleeping bag. Middle of the night I felt that heart beating--and I didn't move a muscle for hours cuz I thought there was a raccoon under me.
That is hilarious!

Old 07-16-2018, 01:10 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
*First, I had to google 'build a bear' to find out what on Earth you were talking about. You might've noted that the 'bear' in question was a toy.
I guess they assumed everyone knows what it is - since most people (at least in the U.S.) really do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events