Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:00 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
This is one of my biggest pet peeves! Cigarette butts contain plastic microfibers that are not biodegradable. They also poison our waters and animals that ingest them. People act as if they're not doing anything wrong just throwing them out the window, people who would never throw out other kinds of trash.
People who smoke are poisoning themselves, so it's not reasonable to think that they would care about birds, fish and other people they are also poisoning. Although they say that smoking has diminished considerably in America, as time goes by, I find more butts on the street, than ever.

There's a guy who lives on our street, who parks his pickup out there, permanently. He tossed last year's Christmas tree in the bed and it's bone-dry and very flammable now. The first time someone tosses a lighted cigarette out a car window and it lands in that truck, the tree and then the whole truck will go up in flames. His girlfriend's car, parked bumper-to-bumper in front of it, will also burn. He doesn't listen to advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthouse View Post
Thank you for the vid...... More ppl do not care nowadays than do..... Its quite upsetting....
In my observation, the education about littering is MUCH better than it used to be. In the early 60's, it was much more common to roll down your window and throw your trash out.

It's still really common in the worst parts of town, where people leave dirty diapers in the grocery store parking lot, but middle class has gotten the message.

Anybody remember that ad campaign in the 70's with a Native American looking out over a field of litter, with a tear rolling down his cheek?

And then, after that, Texas had an ad campaign "Don't Mess With Texas" that was wildly successful.

Such trashy behavior. It seems people who don't really feel like they're a part of the mainstream community toss garbage out their windows. Same people don't flush the toilets in public bathrooms. It's just like shooting the finger.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Here's the video from YouTube. It's a shame that people choose to litter when they could just as easily hold on to their trash and dispose of it properly. Some people just have no regard for the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3jidFbD2oQ
Lady opened the litterer’s car door.

While I admire her willingness to confront the litterer, she is lucky one or more occupants of the car did not fear for their safety and blow her away.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:26 PM

86 posts, read 123,175 times
I am outraged that so many people were attacking the girl, calling her all kinds of racial slurs. Where are these people during the St. Patrick Day Parade? I'm sure they would really be mad at that Oh, but wait......... People pick and choose

Just my two cents

Old 07-24-2018, 11:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancojewel912 View Post
I am outraged that so many people were attacking the girl, calling her all kinds of racial slurs. Where are these people during the St. Patrick Day Parade? I'm sure they would really be mad at that Oh, but wait......... People pick and choose

Just my two cents
Wrong thread?

Old 07-25-2018, 01:26 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
there are trucks and machines that sweep the streets at night. also people paid to pick up litter at parks. there are full time employees taking care of most of the mess. yes it's better to find a trash can but what they're doing isn't an abomination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
Some people should read what they write before posting it.

The above post wins the dunce cap award.

Later, if this poster runs for political office, think how delighted the opposition would be, to find this gem among his paper trail.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:43 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Here's the video from YouTube. It's a shame that people choose to litter when they could just as easily hold on to their trash and dispose of it properly. Some people just have no regard for the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3jidFbD2oQ
Social media is awesome. The "indignation" of someone opening her door. "I'll post this and people will really go after that old lady. " lol

That idiot just outted herself as a litterbug.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:27 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
She is lucky she encountered a calm person especially after opening the door. For my family, our rule when out in public is to make personal contact only if we can deal with the problem positively, which for one short tempered family member, is very difficult.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:03 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I live across the street from a school and park and you would not believe the trash that ends up in everyones yard everything from cigarette butts to empty liquor bottles and beer cans . Im so sick of it and when I sell this house and move into my retirement house I hope to never pick up anyone else's beer cans or liquor bottle or cigarette butts again . People just have no respect for anyone's property anymore .

Old 07-25-2018, 08:24 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
She is lucky she encountered a calm person especially after opening the door. For my family, our rule when out in public is to make personal contact only if we can deal with the problem positively, which for one short tempered family member, is very difficult.

"anyone of youse, touch any of my stuff...I'll kill ya"

--- Francis Soyer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events