Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 11:33 AM

801 posts, read 454,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
This.
I'm getting a little tired of stories where people get outraged and blame the wrong parties for stuff. Yeah, bad situation to be in, but pointing fingers at united for the 4 AM rousting? People should get their facts straight before posting blame all over the internet. I sometimes wonder if these companies couldn't counter sue for libel in such instances? And did you see how much miss thing wants to be compensated? Talk about milking a situation!
I agree. IF it was not United's fault then they should not be blamed.
It does seem to me they might have handled the situation better though. As someone else said they could have given them access to the lounge and they could have seen to it that they were moved to a place where they would not have been bothered. Seems to me they coulda shoulda known this would happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 12:20 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,991,616 times
Flying in general is a terrible experience add to that getting caught overnight in an airport with no hotel access and things get worse. Finally throw in uncertainty of when a connection will be available and it's a nightmare. I avoid flying at all costs and will drive anywhere within a 12 hour radius for vacations/visits.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:42 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,927,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Why doesn't United open up the lounge they have for their premier guests in such situations? Wouldn't it be more humane and less expensive than paying $150 per delayed passenger?
Yes but the gate agent doesn't have the authority to open up the lounge, which was probably already locked and the manager had gone home.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:28 PM

16,641 posts, read 8,643,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
United has been indifferent to the plight of its passengers for a long time...

The sad irony of this story is that when United merged with Continental it was hoped that Continental's great customer service would rub off on United. Instead it is bringing down the spirits of the Continental flight crews and other employees.

Still (and many people don't realize it), certain flights are all United crews and others are all Continental crews.
Without even being able to distinguish the emblems that they wear, you know by the service that you have been lucky enough to get a Continental crew. Just ask them.

Why they are still segregated I am not sure. It might have to do with certain routes/hubs. Frankly I went out of my way to fly Continental for a long time because of their great service, food, comfortable planes (i.e. leg room, as I am 6'7"), etc.
Plus they were great to me years ago when I missed a flight and they put me on the next one out, an upgraded plane in a better seat, and didn't charge me anything for it. I would have been happy to pay something because it was not their fault I missed my flight. Instead they profited in the long run with a majority of my air travel with them.

`

Old 07-30-2018, 03:37 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,588,090 times
Of course it was United's fault!! They should have provided appropriate care of the patrons, not something that the airport doesn't allow. It took a lot less than this for me to stop flying United 15 years ago.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,398,556 times
At least they didn't beat up the passengers.

United isn't well known for customer service, to say the least.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:58 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,189,161 times
As long as people keep giving their money to United, why would they change?

Old 07-30-2018, 06:14 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,135,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Flying in general is a terrible experience add to that getting caught overnight in an airport with no hotel access and things get worse. Finally throw in uncertainty of when a connection will be available and it's a nightmare. I avoid flying at all costs and will drive anywhere within a 12 hour radius for vacations/visits.
There was another link that talked about how some planes have bedbug infestation. Air travel is not fun anymore.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:20 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,143,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Yes but the gate agent doesn't have the authority to open up the lounge, which was probably already locked and the manager had gone home.
Trust me, there was a senior agent on the floor, especially at O'Hare. Nevermind the fact that this was due to mechanical failure/operational issues which 100% fall on the airline to resolve. Legally, they can hide behind weather but not mechanical failure.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

35,653 posts, read 18,015,765 times
It was the airports rule that there won't be hallways of people sleeping on cots when the first travelers arrive for morning flights. I can see that. You don't want it to look like an emergency shelter when the public arrives.

Maybe special accommodation should have been made for wheelchair bound customers, or small babies or people with compromised health.

But we're kind of a bunch of little sugar cubes if we can't take one night without good solid sleep in a bed. Sleeping over night in an airport (or bus station) is something that happens and people just do it. Kind of slumped in one of their uncomfortable chairs. Maybe when you travel, bringing along a sweatshirt to keep you warmer in the middle of the night might be a good idea.

If your health and well being is compromised by that, maybe flying isn't the best idea for you.

Back in the day I flew People's Express. This was how it was done. Prepare to sleep in an airport.

Everybody who suffered this is due something. Another round trip ticket in the future, free. Done.

Last edited by ClaraC; 07-30-2018 at 06:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events