Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:27 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
People with cars can do this same thing with a little effort, they do not actually need 'Uber'.

A sister of a friend of mine used to drive for Uber months ago, until she figured out she could do the same thing on her own, since we live near a major airport hub, she built up a good group of regular customers and then went out on her own, (quit Uber) and now she gets the full fare! She created her own app, mostly focusing on this airport. Plus, word of mouth from her regulars is constantly getting her new clients. She is making much more money now than when she drove for Uber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My daughter does similar but it's only word of mouth. People she knew who were taking Ubers now give her the business
Curiosity question.
Are either of these people following whatever licensing and insurance requirements for their states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 05:06 AM

765 posts, read 474,630 times
i went to college in the heart of the Amish/Mennonite communities in PA. they NEVER interacted at all with us "others", i was so heart broken when i ran into my first Amish woman at the grocery store in Annville, what did i know being brought up in metro NYC that i was dangerous and probably evil , of course she turned her back on me, but i'd often follow behind patiently a long long line of cars stuck behind a buggy on a busy street, all of us doing 10 mph!!!! my senior year i taught at Eastern Lebanon Valley high school, and driving there every morning, i'd watch this long line of Amish Children, hand in hand, walking down the road, arraigned by height, the tallest at the front, down to the littlest, all dressed the same, the boys in blue shirts, dark pants and a hat, the girls in brown or dark blue dresses, way past their knees, all of them wore the same basic boot shoe, the tiniest girls wore a pinafore and would never even wave at me, though i always waved at them. I never saw Amish children at our school, leading me to believe they schooled their own, but i did have lots of Mennonite kids.

I hope this man doesn't get in trouble with his elders even though most assuredly his entrepreneurship is only for his fellow Amish community. and folks, don't worry about that horse, most Amish own more than one. .... and the flashiest thing on his buggy will be the neon caution triangle on the left rear bumper.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:41 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,108,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
People with cars can do this same thing with a little effort, they do not actually need 'Uber'.

A sister of a friend of mine used to drive for Uber months ago, until she figured out she could do the same thing on her own, since we live near a major airport hub, she built up a good group of regular customers and then went out on her own, (quit Uber) and now she gets the full fare! She created her own app, mostly focusing on this airport. Plus, word of mouth from her regulars is constantly getting her new clients. She is making much more money now than when she drove for Uber.
Until she gets in an accident and gets sued for running an unlicensed cab.....

Old 08-06-2018, 05:42 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,108,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I hope that catches on. There's lots of Amish out here. I'd love to take a ride.
How many Amish have a smart phone so they can order the ride on an app?

Old 08-06-2018, 06:29 AM

50,898 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
How many Amish have a smart phone so they can order the ride on an app?
None. The article states you have to wave him down to get a ride.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:51 PM

23,880 posts, read 33,609,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Curiosity question.
Are either of these people following whatever licensing and insurance requirements for their states?
She's driving friends that were taking Ubers. It's like she's hanging out with them but they give her something. She even stays with them at appointments

Old 08-06-2018, 03:53 PM

15,539 posts, read 10,521,878 times
That's awesome.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:56 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,191,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Until she gets in an accident and gets sued for running an unlicensed cab.....
How much different is that than Uber?

I'd be willing to be bet that in a short time, this is what the majority of drivers start to do (well, at least the ones who took Econ 101). An indepth review of regular customers and regular drivers dropping off the platform in coincidence would make a good read.

"John Doe used Uber 4 time a week for a year, then never again"
"Jane Doe was his driver every time, and now she quit"

Old 08-07-2018, 12:13 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
How much different is that than Uber?

I'd be willing to be bet that in a short time, this is what the majority of drivers start to do (well, at least the ones who took Econ 101). An indepth review of regular customers and regular drivers dropping off the platform in coincidence would make a good read.

"John Doe used Uber 4 time a week for a year, then never again"
"Jane Doe was his driver every time, and now she quit"
Yep, I actually talked to a lady at my doctors office earlier today whose Uber driver did the same thing, she has used the same driver for 6 months, she had doctor appts 3-5 times per week, turns out he had numerous regulars all coming and going from this hospital and surrounding doctors offices. Once he had a good regular client base, he quit Uber and doing it on his own. She is actually good friends with the guy now, she said he is making much more money now, as he gets 100% of the fare.

Surprisingly, now that hes not with Uber, his fare went down a little bit, a one way ride from her house used to cost about $23. when he was with Uber, now he charges $16.

I think once more Uber drivers realize they can do this without Uber, many of them will just use it as a means to get a regular client base built up.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:19 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,293,666 times
Excellent idea....wonder if the horse agrees? I heard on the news pay in carrots

Next someone should come up with "daredevil" Uber - picked up in a motorcycle.

How about RV Uber? Could replace the party bus and turn it into a private one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events