Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 07:00 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Theres actually more movies where its an adult man and minor girl, theres about 10 pages on this thread in the movies board, WAY more movies than I thought.

Here are just a few,

Firestarter
Lolita
Summer of 42
Man on fire
Pretty baby
The crush
Bunny caper
Chiller
The fight
Man of Fire was a movie about a bodyguard that had a father-daughter relationship with the little girl that he was protecting. There was nothing pedobear about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 08:37 AM

193 posts, read 92,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well does this hypothetical guy look like HW? Or does he look like 37 year old Eddie Van Halen or Mark Harmon?

Honestly, it all depends on the situation and their prior relationship. Just as with women, there are some amazingly well preserved/youthful looking 37 year old men... and also 17 year old girls who are mature for their age.

Also, age gaps disappear when there are common bonds of mutual interests and hobbies, and many hours spent together as non-sexual companions. Asia and Bennett were movie set buddies of many years.

And how do you feel about French president Macron and his much older wife? Their age gap is 25 years.
And they first met while he was in high school.

And what about Sonny and Cher? It was only an 11 age difference, but she was only 16 when they first met.

And there these is Celine Dion and her husband Rene Angelil, there is a 26 year age gap between them. She met him when she was 12 and knew that she loved him when she was 19.

Haha! I suppose at this point (and up until now) I completely forgot that my husband is 23 years my junior. We met as platonic friends when he was 22 and I was 45. We met through a car message board and took a road trip from the east coast to CA in the same car to meet other message board friends... and it was purely a platonic friendship. But we hit it off as best friends and made each other laugh all of the time as worked on our cars. Later on, in the summer, after we returned home, we began a romantic relationship. That was 15 years ago. We've been married a year and a half, and own a house together in NH. And the older we both get, the less the age gap seems to be.
So whether or not it's considered ok for a man to sleep with an underage teen should depend on whether or not he's physically attractive? A cute guy does it and it's fine but an ugly guy does it and it's a crime? Really?

The women who do it are often not very attractive, but people still say it shouldn't be a crime because it was consensual. So then why shouldn't a teen girl be able to consent to sex with an unattractive older guy?

Just fyi, I am actually pretty liberal about this sort of thing compared to most people. I do think it depends on the individual situation and I would be open to the laws perhaps being more flexible, particularly when it comes to 16-17 year olds (although I would say this should NOT depend on gender or looks).

However, again, the main issue I have is one of HYPOCRISY. The #metoo movement was responsible for bringing to the mainstream and strictly enforcing this idea that consensual sexual relationships are not necessarily consensual if there is a "power difference" involved. A lot of the allegations that surfaced in this movement did not actually involve any sort of sexual assault, they were merely women claiming their consensual sexual experience wasn't really consensual because the man was in a position of power over them. One example of this is Louis C.K. he actually asked permission before doing what he did. Well, what better example of a power imbalance can you think of than a 37 year old old adult with a 17 year old kid? And then of course, we have Aziz Ansari, who simply had a normal sexual encounter with an adult woman and ended up getting branded as a sexual predator.

The #metoo movement is like the French revolution, and I guess you could say Asia Argento is Robespierre LOL.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:40 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cell jin View Post
Just fyi, I am actually pretty liberal about this sort of thing compared to most people. I do think it depends on the individual situation and I would be open to the laws perhaps being more flexible, particularly when it comes to 16-17 year olds (although I would say this should NOT depend on gender or looks).

However, again, the main issue I have is one of HYPOCRISY. The #metoo movement was responsible for bringing to the mainstream and strictly enforcing this idea that consensual sexual relationships are not necessarily consensual if there is a "power difference" involved. A lot of the allegations that surfaced in this movement did not actually involve any sort of sexual assault, they were merely women claiming their consensual sexual experience wasn't really consensual because the man was in a position of power over them. One example of this is Louis C.K. he actually asked permission before doing what he did. Well, what better example of a power imbalance can you think of than a 37 year old old adult with a 17 year old kid? And then of course, we have Aziz Ansari, who simply had a normal sexual encounter with an adult woman and ended up getting branded as a sexual predator.
To me, it's not as heinous for an adult to have sex with a 17 year old the same way it would be if he were 10 years old. However, she knew him when he was 8 and she also tried to pay him off for his silence. Which makes it seem more perverse and twisted in some ways.

And also the issue here is, like you said, hypocrisy. Aziz Ansari didn't break any laws and he had his public image destroyed forever.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:09 AM

17,594 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
To me, it's not as heinous for an adult to have sex with a 17 year old the same way it would be if he were 10 years old. However, she knew him when he was 8 and she also tried to pay him off for his silence. Which makes it seem more perverse and twisted in some ways.

And also the issue here is, like you said, hypocrisy. Aziz Ansari didn't break any laws and he had his public image destroyed forever.

I think I pretty much agree with you. When you get into these situations where something is illegal just because of where it is. If they had done the exact same thing in Texas.. This would have been totally legal. So, from one standpoint.. I really don't think this is a massively bad thing as it would have been if the boy was much younger. The fact she knew him when he was 8.. Well, she didn't sleep with him when he was 8.. People who meet in elementary school and wind up marrying each other, they knew each other when they were 8.. I don't consider that 'weird'..

But, don't get me wrong.. I think she's an astounding hypocrite here. If she hadn't been involved in the #metoo stuff and this story broke.. I'd consider it a big nothing. In 45 or so states it would be a total nothing. BUT.. She was in one of the 5 and she was vocal in the #metoo stuff.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:24 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
How is it hypocrisy if he didn't decide he was "assaulted" until she became involved in the Me too movement?
She didn't believe she had assaulted anyone, obviously-- he's the one who's lawyers reached out to her--at this coincidental time in history. This is the best time for an opportunistic pay off.

Who the hell is Aziz Ansari? Im not even going to look it up, non of these people are big stars.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:11 PM

17,594 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
How is it hypocrisy if he didn't decide he was "assaulted" until she became involved in the Me too movement?
She didn't believe she had assaulted anyone, obviously-- he's the one who's lawyers reached out to her--at this coincidental time in history. This is the best time for an opportunistic pay off.

Who the hell is Aziz Ansari? Im not even going to look it up, non of these people are big stars.

Whether she believed she assaulted anyone or not is irrelevant. She did in the eyes of the law.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Whether she believed she assaulted anyone or not is irrelevant. She did in the eyes of the law.
Well then shes not being hypocritical. She may not have even had sex with him, and if she did he was willing to think of it in a positive light until he found an opportunity to cash in. The Metoo movement isn't about getting paid.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:37 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post

I think he's a comedian or something. He was on a date with a woman and she went back to his apartment with him. According to her account, he became sexually aggressive with her in a way that made her uncomfortable. He stopped when she asked him to stop, but she still posted about it on Twitter and claimed that she had been victimized. I personally don't think that she was victimized. She just wasn't expecting him to treat her like a booty call.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:47 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Here's my take. The simple fact is that she KNEW it was wrong to have sex with a 17-year-old. But she did it anyway. That shows crossing boundaries and is the important part, IMO, when it comes to sexual abuse. The willingness to cross boundaries plus knowing it's wrong, whether in "her eyes" (or his eyes, for that matter) or not. That's what sexual abusers do. They make up their own rules, then perpetrate them upon other people. THAT is wrong, whether he "liked" the sex or not.

Just no. You can't do it. There are reasons. I don't care if they are THIS couple's reasons or not. There is a lot that comes into play with a much younger person, specifically a minor, plus a much older person when you put sex into things. Yes, it will vary per individual and couple, some people are "super mature!" at 17 and blah blah, I get that. BUT because there are laws you wait until the person is of age, period. End of story. If you don't, you're someone who crosses boundaries and disobeys laws deliberately. I don't care if a person considers them "dumb laws," they're laws and if you're wiling to break the law that shows something all by itself. What's stopping you from doing it in a more dramatic way later? So yeah. She's culpable. Period.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:58 PM

"She's culpable. Period."

He should have called the police then, or someone should, has anyone called the police yet? Is she being charged with a crime? When's this all taking place? She isn't innocent until proven guilty when we're talking about the letter of the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events