Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 01:53 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It's really not about what you or I feel about the age difference. It's about consent. He can consent, even if the law says he can't. In some states, a 19 year old can have sex with a 17 year old. A 19 year old is still an adult and he is every bit as under-aged as he was with a 37 year old.
Yes - but the "power" or authority differential is far different when one person is much older. Yes, it's just a tiny bit more complicated than age alone - that alone might seem quite arbitrary. But it's the idea that someone much older than you often carries a certain authority over you and can use that power to persuade. Isn't this obvious? You know, it is especially extreme in the cases of a parental figure, priest, teacher, etc. Wasn't she somewhat of a parent figure considering their background?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 10:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The word is already out there. You can’t unhear things, or unsee them.
She is a butthole of the highest order, for sure. I hope she goes away, and I never hear her name again.

That said, as far as the movement itself.. people are standing up to authority and spilling their guts. And good for them. Men and women have had to put up with sexual harassment way too long. It started happening to me when I was flipping burgers at age 16.
The movement is not going to change anything long term though, in the end, men are men/ women are women, and sex is always on our minds.

When I was younger I dated and slept around ALOT, one thing that I always heard from women, is that once they reached a certain age, they noticed all men, even older adults, would look at them different, most described it as ' piece of meat', most say this started around 11 or 12 yrs old, Some liked this new attention and some did not...

I didnt really think much about that until I started working in the public, and I quickly realized how right they were...I see this kind of thing every single day, all thru out the day, it was creepy at first, but Im so used to it now, its common!

Old 09-01-2018, 11:59 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
In the workplace, I’ve had to punch a guy because he grabbed my boob, had a guy try to stuff his tongue down my throat after he spun me around like a ballerina, and that manager at Jack in the Box when I was sixteen even tried to get me to do drugs in order to get in my pants. Oh, I’ve also had my ass slapped with a book when I was working for a Toshiba affiliate at age 20.

The verbal stuff, I could easily counter because I’ve always had a sharp tongue. But once it gets to the point where people start thinking it’s okay to put hands on anyone- male or female - we all need to speak up.

I’m not defending Asia. She’s a terrible person in my book, but I do want people to keep their dang hands to themselves, so everyone HAS to speak up when they’ve been treated like this.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:51 PM

380 posts, read 653,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I’m not defending Asia. She’s a terrible person in my book, but I do want people to keep their dang hands to themselves, so everyone HAS to speak up when they’ve been treated like this.
Bennett did speak up. So why would anyone think you're defending Argento?

Old 09-01-2018, 02:52 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Bennett spoke up? Was he the one who revealed the payoff?

He did not speak up by calling the police. He just got found/ratted out (for approaching Asia for payola), I think.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:44 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
A couple of posts up, someone mentioned that the movement was not going to change anything. I was arguing a point, not a poster because I respect the opinions of the people that post here.

The Asia comment was thrown in to make sure there is no doubt that I think she’s trash. Sometimes nuance doesn’t come out very well on message boards. I’ve been misunderstood more than once.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:33 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Can anyone honestly say that they are really surprised by any of this? Activists with the loudest mouths probably have the most hypocritical baggage.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Bennett spoke up? Was he the one who revealed the payoff?

He did not speak up by calling the police. He just got found/ratted out (for approaching Asia for payola), I think.
I think you are right that he did not speak up. My mistake. The original NYT article indicates that an "unidentified party" sent the files to the newspaper:

Quote:
That claim and the subsequent arrangement for payments are laid out in documents between lawyers for Ms. Argento and Mr. Bennett, a former child actor who once played her son in a movie.

The documents, which were sent to The New York Times through encrypted email by an unidentified party, include a selfie dated May 9, 2013, of the two lying in bed. More
Russell Simmons' accuser Drew Dixon is now blasting the hypocrite and fraud Asia Argento, for having sex with a boy, and acknowledges that Argento could further harm the "fragile" #metoo movement: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-jimmy-bennett

Old 09-04-2018, 08:54 PM

Asia Argento Says 17-Year-Old Jimmy Bennett Sexually Assaulted Her | TMZ.com

Quote:
As for her statement after the story broke -- "I have never had any sexual relationship with Bennett" -- Heller says she was being honest because it was a one-time only encounter and not a relationship.
This is some serious sophistry on the part of Argento.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:15 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
She's not paying him the rest of the money, either. He received 250,000 apparently.

I suppose, if it was "hush money" then it wasn't a very cost effective purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events