Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 09:31 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I posted this before, I'm not sure why I should have to post it again but here you go:

So, if that source is wrong, prove it rather than just telling me what you think was allowed.
And here it is from your own ArsTechnica article:

Quote:
All major carriers reserve the right to throttle unlimited data plans after customers use a certain amount each month. But the throttling generally only applies when a customer has exceeded the threshold and tries to use data in an area where the network is congested.
So the carriers could throttle after exceeding data caps. They chose not to in the past for every instance (although I have been throttled after exceeding my limit). They choose to now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 09:43 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Of course no one can prove the negative. Can you show any evidence, other than an opinion by an ArsTechnica writer, that throttling based on data caps was not allowed by NN? Either the verbiage from NN, or a case where the FCC fined a company for throttling after exceeding a data cap?

As for complaints, the fire department can make a complaint to the FTC for deceptive advertising, if they feel 'unlimited' should mean unlimited 4G.
No. they can't make that complaint. I've already posted a source for that three times, if you don't like the source then look it up for yourself.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:45 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
And here it is from your own ArsTechnica article:

So the carriers could throttle after exceeding data caps. They chose not to in the past for every instance (although I have been throttled after exceeding my limit). They choose to now.
No, you still don't get it. Before the repeal of NN they could only throttle during network congestion you just cited that. Now they can throttle any time they want and keep the throttle in place until your plan renews.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:25 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
No, you still don't get it. Before the repeal of NN they could only throttle during network congestion you just cited that. Now they can throttle any time they want and keep the throttle in place until your plan renews.
You should reread it because it say “generally” so the statement is definitive as you would like to portray it to be

Old 08-26-2018, 11:28 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
If there was ever a compelling case to restore net neutrality this has to be it:
You don't understand what net neutrality really means, it has nothing to do with user data throttling. Another bad example of non-technical folks mixing technical terms with politics.

A true violation of NN is when a carrier decides to limit a competitor's transmission of data into their network similar to a TV program blackout.

Verizon in the past have chosen to limit Netflix access unless they pay up. In this case Netflix chose to settle and pay up additional bandwidth access.

But NN has never been an issue of individuals sending transmission to other endpoints unless they've exhausted their own data plan. That is simply a poor choice of carrier.

I would never chose Verizon because they are a bad data carrier with out dated network.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:35 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
No. they can't make that complaint. I've already posted a source for that three times, if you don't like the source then look it up for yourself.
Where does it say they can't complain to the FTC about deceptive advertising?

Old 08-26-2018, 12:19 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Before the repeal of NN they could only throttle during network congestion......

No, no and no. Under NN there is nothing that prevented them for offering or stipulating anything they wanted with the exception of plans that offered anything for specific sites or services.

If this was water company they could offer you plan that charged you by the gallon, one that charged you by pressure, one that set a rate at any time of the day, one that limited your water at any time of the day, or any imaginable combination you could think of. There was absolutely no limitations on that and a plan that offered data caps and was throttled afterward was perfectly acceptable. This is how satellite is commonly priced now and when NN was in place.

What they could not do is base any of that on what you were using that water for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events