Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:28 PM

13,273 posts, read 7,321,255 times

Advertisements

The Steve Job's family not so great according to his daughter who wrote a book about it. Her stepmother and Aunt are refuting some of the dirty laundry which was in the book. I haven't read the book never will, but I can relate to some of this I'm sure lot of people can.

Steve Jobs always struck me as kind of a cold business man who was out to make money he did have a place in history because I don't think we would ever know the name apple if he hadn't been a part of it.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/28/tec...ent/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 11:47 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
One doesn't have to read his daughter's memoir to have read about Steve Job's personal failings.

I haven't read it (I might), so I don't know what, specifically, she's recounting, but I have to laugh at Mona Simpson saying that it "wasn't the brother she knew." Really? She and Jobs didn't even meet until he was almost 30--while he was still denying paternity of his lookalike daughter, and she and the mother of his child were on welfare. Accounts are legion of his rude, callous treatment of co-workers and even strangers--particularly strangers he'd encounter in the service industry. It's not surprising that he'd behave the same way in his personal life. And if his legitimate children by Powell didn't happen to have been on the receiving end of whatever he was dishing out...well, weren't they the lucky ones.

Give me a break.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:50 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Someone should ask Lisa what happened to the house that her father bought for her and put in her name.

Oh wait, that's right. Chrisann (her loopy mother) persuaded Lisa to sign the house over so she could sell it and squander the proceeds.

The problems of both women could be solved with the application of money. Lots and lots of money. Just ask them.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:59 AM

LOL Brennan is definitely a nutjob, especially with her shameless demands for money, even after Jobs' death, but he picked her. And impregnated her twice, the first pregnancy resulting in an abortion they both agreed upon.

Notwithstanding the fact that then- millionaire Jobs had to be forced to support his kid, even after a court-ordered paternity test, his abuse of his first child continued into her adulthood. It was her father who thought that tossing money her way, as an adult, would make up for it.

One can only imagine what it does to a child to be denied by her father, and constantly reminded of it by a bitter, unstable mother, and continued "digs" by her father--such as when Brennan showed her daughter Jobs' official Apple biography, in which he mentioned his Palo Alto residence, where he resid [-ed] with his wife and three children. His daughter, then in her twenties, went to him in tears, after which he changed it to read ...three of his four children. Then the next year, he changed it back to its original.

This, even years after she lived with him, and he'd apologized to her for his earlier neglect. But once he knew how such slights hurt her, they continued on and off. That's how Steve Jobs rolled--with everyone.

Jobs provided for her in his will, but the only loser in this case is still Lisa, the first child, who's often sacrificed to the second family. Hardly a new story in family dynamics.

There are many first-hand accounts of Steve Jobs the Jerk's downright cruel treatment of people--all people, not just those he thought were important. But, hey, he invented the iphone [insert airhead smiley here].

Old 08-31-2018, 01:50 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
Powell-Jobs is no Melinda Gates.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
I feel sorry for the daughter that Steve Jobs didn't want and neglected to love. He may have been a successful businessman but he failed at being a parent and I have zero admiration for him.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:45 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
He also didn’t smell very good. I have two personal accounts from old technology types on that. He was brilliant, but very far from perfect.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:57 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Her stepmother and Aunt are refuting some of the dirty laundry which was in the book.]
Laurene Powell Jobs is always trying to refute information in one book or another about Steve Jobs. We all know how brilliant he was, although it's apparent that he must have been hell to live with.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/miguelh.../#212bcdc6f624

Old 09-01-2018, 09:53 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I feel sorry for the daughter that Steve Jobs didn't want and neglected to love. He may have been a successful businessman but he failed at being a parent and I have zero admiration for him.
Failing at being a parent is pretty common in this country. I'm not defending his parenting, though. I think he probably neglected Erin, the middle child, nearly as much as Lisa. It's not so much what Erin has said as what she hasn't.

Lisa's father tried to make up for his earlier mistreatment of her. She received a Harvard education, Jobs had her birth certificate changed to reflect his parentage, her bedroom in the Waverley house was next to her father's. Laurene tried with all apparent sincerity to make her feel part of the family.

Anyway, I think it's time for Lisa to stop whining. It is what it is, like all of our lives. No do-overs. Many of us have had fathers who were physically present but emotionally absent. We deal.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:13 PM

I'm not the one who brought up Harvard, but let's get up to speed on that. He stopped the support and paying for her tuition after a "disagreement." Lisa ended up moving in with neighbors who DID foot that bill. After yet another tinge of guilt, he finally paid them back--years later.

As I said, Mona's got nerve because she wasn't even around during Lisa's early childhood. And Laurene Powell Jobs should simply thank her lucky stars. After Jobs got HER pregnant, he ruminated over whether to marry her, even asking his buddies who was "prettier"--Laurene or another girl he'd been seeing. Nice guy.

The fact that he signed a final child support agreement just days before Apple went public tells me all I need to know about him, even without the legion of accounts which exist.

He'd rather be remembered as a genius by strangers, than as a loving father by his own child. How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events