Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 08:02 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,761 times

Advertisements

https://www.newsweek.com/mother-arre...shment-1132426

Ludicrous
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 08:15 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,779,489 times
We as a society have allowed law enforcement to have too much power. So it's not surprising that they arrest people for every little thing. It's a standard guilty until proven innocent police procedure. Arrest first and leave it up to the victim to prove their innocence.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,614 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Well, when you read the article, it becomes a little clearer.

This does happen, and it's a problem. Parents steal items that belong to the other parent.

And this is a problem with divorced parents. So many of them lose their minds.

And yes, it would be frustrating to have your property stolen by the other parent.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
This ex-husband is extremely vindictive. I bet the mom dumped him and he's still butt hurt about it. She still has to worry that he will continue to try and retaliate against her. He'll find something else.

The phone belonged to the daughter because it had been a gift to her. It wasn't the ex-husband's cell phone and kind of ridiculous for the police to believe that. I saw the photo of the cell phone and it was covered in stickers, obviously it belonged to an adolescent.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:30 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, when you read the article, it becomes a little clearer.

This does happen, and it's a problem. Parents steal items that belong to the other parent.

And this is a problem with divorced parents. So many of them lose their minds.

And yes, it would be frustrating to have your property stolen by the other parent.
It was taken away as a punishment...not stolen.

Would be 100% different if say the mother had taken it and SOLD it or something like that.

I'm sorry but I can't stand it when kids end up being USED as a tool to wreck havoc on an ex spouse's life. This story is utterly sad and ridiculous.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
It was taken away as a punishment...not stolen.

Would be 100% different if say the mother had taken it and SOLD it or something like that.

I'm sorry but I can't stand it when kids end up being USED as a tool to wreck havoc on an ex spouse's life. This story is utterly sad and ridiculous.
The father called and reported his wife had stolen his cell phone.

The charges have been dropped.

At the time of the arrest, it is impossible to know whether police knew it was still in her possession, or was tossed in a field, or sold on Craigslist.

I do have empathy for the father - he now had no way to contact his daughter. He gave her the phone for Christmas, I'm sure expecting to be able to be in contact with her, and her mother took it away.

For what, I wonder.

My guess is, the dad is paying for it.

Next time get her a phone and put his name on it and then the mom can't take it.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:55 AM

50,737 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
We as a society have allowed law enforcement to have too much power. So it's not surprising that they arrest people for every little thing. It's a standard guilty until proven innocent police procedure. Arrest first and leave it up to the victim to prove their innocence.
Yes, please read the article. The woman's ex-husband, the girls father, called the police and said he owned the phone and that she stole it. I do think HE should be arrested for using the police that way and lying to them and basically filing charges for a false crime.

I do agree the police should have let her turn herself in on Monday rather than haul her away from the 4 week old baby she was nursing. Maybe Dad is a big man in town or something, IDK.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-22-2018 at 09:05 AM..

Old 09-22-2018, 09:03 AM

50,737 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The father called and reported his wife had stolen his cell phone.

The charges have been dropped.

At the time of the arrest, it is impossible to know whether police knew it was still in her possession, or was tossed in a field, or sold on Craigslist.

I do have empathy for the father - he now had no way to contact his daughter. He gave her the phone for Christmas, I'm sure expecting to be able to be in contact with her, and her mother took it away.

For what, I wonder.

My guess is, the dad is paying for it.

Next time get her a phone and put his name on it and then the mom can't take it.
If the girl lives with her, she should be able to regulate phone use and take it away if need be. If the kid isn't doing homework because she's addicted to the phone, you think mom should have no options to restrict phone use for a minor child because it's in her ex's name? I disagree.

It just sounds like a horrible way to handle it by dad IMO. It sounds like a awful divorce in which they hate each other and the girl is in the middle.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If the girl lives with her, she should be able to regulate phone use and take it away if need be. If the kid isn't doing homework because she's addicted to the phone, you think mom should have no options to restrict phone use for a minor child because it's in her ex's name? I disagree.

It just sounds like a horrible way to handle it by dad IMO. It sounds like a awful divorce in which they hate each other and the girl is in the middle.
I agree with you.

I just think there must be SUCH a caustic relationship between the mom and the dad that he was frustrated.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:33 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
I can't believe Newsweek actual published that crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events