Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:55 PM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Wouldnt it be much easier to install a safety system on the escalator, like a pressure switch, if it meets any kind of resistance, automatic shutdown.
You'd think in this day there would be something but no, they're no safer to ride then 25+ years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 08:20 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Quote:
Wouldnt it be much easier to install a safety system on the escalator, like a pressure switch, if it meets any kind of resistance, automatic shutdown.
They already do that.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:04 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, can you imagine the immense resistance normally on an escalator with 100 people riding up at rush hour.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:19 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
this is exactly why I don't ride escalators or do elevators either I have a phobia about those things as im sure others have as well .

Old 10-25-2018, 08:04 AM

I think an elevator disaster would be FAR more likely.
I am reminded of the situation last year where an elevator got stuck between floors with the doors open. Woman climbed up and out the opening when the elevator lurched and BISECTED her.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:05 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
this is exactly why I don't ride escalators or do elevators either I have a phobia about those things as im sure others have as well .
In some buildings (like the one where my office is, for instance) you have no choice BUT to ride the elevator.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:31 AM

I am 150 feet up and for a while I would climb the stairs once a day, for aerobics. It really began to SUCK after a couple weeks and I gave it up when my knees began to scream.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:08 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
"Always carry a knife." - Special Agent Leroy Gibbs

Seriously though, my husband always carries a sharp pocket knife in his pocket. I sometimes have one. if this man had had one, or someone nearby, then he might have not died.
Most pocket knives manufactured are illegal under NYC laws. no gravity knives, no spring knives and blade must be under 4 inches.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:48 AM

859 posts, read 705,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
His shirt probably wasn't tucked in so the bottom caught and before he knew it, it was strangling him.

I agree at that hour he was either drunk or half asleep still.

My fear is that I'll trip and my long hair will get caught. I use a cane so it's a huge worry especially after seeing an episode of Chicago Fire where this happened. It ripped the ladies scalp off
- I don't think he was drunk, because people always fall for different reasons. The least thing is, he's just faltered when he'd reached to the top. It doesn't surprise me his falling itself but the WAY he fell.

- OMG what a case! I would say, If your hair is long, it's good, because there would be some time but you'd need to ACT quickly. First don't suppose that your whole hair would get stuck, just some of it, if so, I think you would be between 2 difficult choices, bad choice & worse choice, and if you you have to choose, just choose the bad one. So, you would have to give up some hair, I mean to grab the bottom of the hair and pull it in order cut it. To be cut from the bottom is better than to be cut from the scalp (worse choice).

-But also I'm not sure of whether or not this could work. Because to imagine such situations are not like to be in it. For example, if the hair that got stuck were a lot, you might not be able to cut it without using something.

-Maybe they need to make some experiments on such type of stuff in order to improve public safety.

-Anyway, don't worry, I notice people who usually use a cane are more careful than others.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events