Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 AM

459 posts, read 608,740 times

Advertisements

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crim...injures-woman/

These men were sr. citizens. You would think they would know how to handle a gun. And why would anyone pass around a gun that was loaded ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 09:45 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
It’s Alaska. Still the wild frontier in innumerable ways.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:02 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
There is no such thing as an unloaded gun. Anyone who does not have that tattooed on the inside of their eyelids has no business being within 100 feet of a firearm.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:14 AM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post

These men were sr. citizens. You would think they would know how to handle a gun. And why would anyone pass around a gun that was loaded ?
Sr citizen, or not, these idiots forgot the 4 rules of gun safety

The 4 Rules of Gun Safety – Concealed Nation

Quote:
The 1st Law:
The Gun Is Always Loaded

The 2nd Law:
Never Point The Gun At Something You Are Not Prepared To Destroy

The 3rd Law:
Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It

The 4th Law:
Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Your Sights are On the Target
When a gun is handed to me,even one I know is empty, I always make the weapon safe by racking the slide locking it back and inspecting the chamber to make sure that there isn't a round in the pipe.

And NEVER put your nose picker on the BOOM SWITCH unless you are on target and ready to fire

Old 01-22-2019, 12:52 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post

Speak for yourself.

Given the endless parade of stories about LEOs putting a bullet in their legs while conducting a firearms safety class to military veterans accidentally shooting themselves while 'cleaning their weapon' (at least, that's the usual cover story - I'm guessing many of them were practicing their Man With No Name quick draw or some other juvenile nonsense) to older hunters blowing away another member of their hunting party because they saw 'movement' in the brush and assumed it was a deer, I

never
Never
NEVER

assume that anyone with a firearm knows what they are doing.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
It’s Alaska. Still the wild frontier in innumerable ways.
Yes, it is. Ironically, because more people in AK actually handle guns more frequently than most, it may happen a little less often there. But then, this was Soldotna/Kenai...wild frontier it's NOT. Rather, the retirement home to over eager seasonal sportsmen from out of state who have to demonstrate that they are living their "Alaska Dream". Showing off the personal protection weapon they insist on having because some grizzly might eat them as they walk across the Peninsula Center Mall parking lot.

These guys would have been just as careless no matter where they lived.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-22-2019 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 01:02 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There is no such thing as an unloaded gun. Anyone who does not have that tattooed on the inside of their eyelids has no business being within 100 feet of a firearm.
Yes, I thought the Golden Rule was to always act as if a gun is loaded. This is something we hear quite often with accidental shootings. Didn't know it was loaded.

People should have to pass an IQ test to buy a gun.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The 2Am Militia is descending on your position now. I'd hold very still.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:33 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yes, I thought the Golden Rule was to always act as if a gun is loaded. This is something we hear quite often with accidental shootings. Didn't know it was loaded.

There's a basic reason why that isn't a valid excuse. The second you take hold of a firearm of any kind, you are in control of it and therefore are responsible for that weapon. It falls directly on you to know whether that weapon is loaded or not, regardless of what you've been told. If God himself handed me a firearm and told me its "not loaded", I would... with all due respect... still clear it myself.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
I bet it was a mix of firearms and alcohol.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events