Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 11:36 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
I've had no trouble buying N95 masks for at least six months. I had about 50 3M N95 masks in my garage before Covid hit, and I haven't even worked my way through those. I now must have at least 150, which I won't use up if this continues for ten years.

Precisely because N95 masks are so widely available, one of my pet peeves is the fact that 97% of the people around me are wearing "designer" masks and DIY masks that are nowhere near as effective as an N95 mask. Walmart and other stores sell these designer versions, which clearly state that they aren't medical grade and won't protect you against anything smaller than a mosquito. United Healthcare even sent me one!

All of which reinforces my conviction that Covid is far more hype than reality.
Actually the triple-ply masks are pretty effective. There have been plenty of mask studies now to show this.
Not sure where you get the "hype" part from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 01:31 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,116,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Here in Germany, cloth masks, bandanas or other non-medical grade masks have been banned if you want to go inside any store (the few that are open like grocery or drug stores) or service (also the few that are open like medical care or vehicle repair). You must wear a FFP2 (Euro version of KN95 or N95) or a surgical medical grade mask. They are available with no problem at almost any drug store, pharmacy or many supermarkets.

I went to the local Lidl grocery store this morning, and I saw a bin of FFP2 masks for 88 Euro cents each (a bit more than $1 USD). I always keep a few with me in my winter jacket pockets. These are certified to the Euro standards for FFP2 masks, and seem to work well. I make sure they fit snug, and I can breathe OK with these for their intended use. I use these all the time when I am at any store or for example at a doctor's office. The same applies if I get on a train, which I only use occasionally at times of day (such as mid-day) when there are very few other passengers for relatively short trips (less than 30 minutes).

Some parts of some cities have outdoor mask zones, such as downtown Chemnitz. Also, must be medical grade masks, not bandanas or cloth masks. All the lockdowns and mask requirements here are having a good impact on the Covid infection trend. Currently, this city has about 50 new Covid infections per week per 100,000 residents. Much better than many other cities in the US, especially compared to Arizona where I was living up until October.
That's brilliant. Germany is doing so much better than rest of Europe and the US. California needs to work towards better masks and less shutdowns of religious institutions.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:10 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,002 times
$80-200 for masks it’s insanely expensive

Old 02-15-2021, 03:49 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Here in Germany, cloth masks, bandanas or other non-medical grade masks have been banned if you want to go inside any store (the few that are open like grocery or drug stores) or service (also the few that are open like medical care or vehicle repair). You must wear a FFP2 (Euro version of KN95 or N95) or a surgical medical grade mask. They are available with no problem at almost any drug store, pharmacy or many supermarkets.

I went to the local Lidl grocery store this morning, and I saw a bin of FFP2 masks for 88 Euro cents each (a bit more than $1 USD). I always keep a few with me in my winter jacket pockets. These are certified to the Euro standards for FFP2 masks, and seem to work well. I make sure they fit snug, and I can breathe OK with these for their intended use. I use these all the time when I am at any store or for example at a doctor's office. The same applies if I get on a train, which I only use occasionally at times of day (such as mid-day) when there are very few other passengers for relatively short trips (less than 30 minutes).

Some parts of some cities have outdoor mask zones, such as downtown Chemnitz. Also, must be medical grade masks, not bandanas or cloth masks. All the lockdowns and mask requirements here are having a good impact on the Covid infection trend. Currently, this city has about 50 new Covid infections per week per 100,000 residents. Much better than many other cities in the US, especially compared to Arizona where I was living up until October.
Interesting. I think it's a good idea, wish we had that here in the US. There's so much nonsense bickering here about masks though--became a political issue.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:09 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
What I want to know is why have they not invented a mask with some sort of shape-fitting strip that auto-seals around the edges to stop air leakage, in a manner similar to the way rubber gadgets can seal a metal tube?

Old 02-15-2021, 04:22 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
I saw on tv a few weeks ago, that the KN95 were the next best thing after the N95, and you can get them on Amazon.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:26 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
I bought a bunch of N95s before COVID hit to do some staining work. I still have a few left. I typically wear one when I'm out, covered by a regular surgical mask. I still see people wearing neck gators and cloth masks with their nose hanging out. Then people wonder why the numbers aren't going down.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 02-15-2021, 05:22 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What I want to know is why have they not invented a mask with some sort of shape-fitting strip that auto-seals around the edges to stop air leakage, in a manner similar to the way rubber gadgets can seal a metal tube?
Because it would cost to much, especially with significant numbers of people willing to go no further than pulling a neck gaiter up

Old 02-15-2021, 05:23 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,913 times
I bought a Narwall mask. It looks crazy, but I feel very safe wearing it.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:57 PM

50,725 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't find the N95's to be comfortable at all. I am good with the triple layer cotton masks that I make at home. Glad to see that they are available for those that want them.

Oops - looks like everyone sold out!
I find the KN95's don't make my glasses fog up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events