Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 01:29 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,134,850 times

Advertisements

New CDC guidelines

Fully-vaccinated Americans can return to life without masks, CDC says

Old 05-13-2021, 01:40 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times
Hurray! It might take a little while for local governments and business to catch up with the new guidelines (most seem to just follow the CDC), but hopefully this means mandated wearing daily masks will go the way of the Betamax, New Coke, Olestra chips, and the flip phone. Although I can see people voluntarily wearing them when sick going forward (like they did in parts of Asia before Covid). As much as I hate masks, I would do that going forward.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:43 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
What a mess. Now unvaccinated people can slip into a crowd while maskless and take advantage of the fact that their vaccination status isn't being checked?

Maybe every business should have a choice to either require masks or require vaccines, but not both.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:01 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What a mess. Now unvaccinated people can slip into a crowd while maskless and take advantage of the fact that their vaccination status isn't being checked?

Maybe every business should have a choice to either require masks or require vaccines, but not both.

They could, but they are pretty much only putting themselves at high risk. Even though you can get Covid when vaccinated, it's much more mild than unvaccinated Covid. If anyone is going to get really sick, it's the people trying to pull a fast one. And that's just karma. The only downside are the mutations that may happen. But so far the vaccine protects against the variants. If that changes, the mask rule might change too.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:34 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,894 times
Quote:

Yep, this is the end of masking anywhere, vaccinated or not, with no way to discern who is safe and who isn't. I'm sure a small number of vaccinated people (and even smaller number of unvaccinated people) will still be wearing masks, but not in my red county.
Being vaccinated I feel pretty safe going out, but I'm not going to stand in very close proximity to unmasked people who I have no idea what their vaccination status is, which is going to make it very difficult to avoid the unvaccinated at stores.
There's always that small percentage I could still get sick even vaccinated, and that's why I just wish that everyone would do their part. Apparently half the population doesn't believe in doing their part to knock this virus out.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:03 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,479 times
I'm not about to stop wearing a mask in stores or other buildings, or even at the dog park, anytime soon; despite having been fully vaccinated. I don't want to do hospital time for COVID or get even a mild case, or unknowingly transmit COVID to an unmasked/unvaccinated person.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:06 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,880,794 times
they are pretty much only putting themselves at high risk.

Common misunderstanding, even a year later: The mask is not (mainly) for the wearer. It's just not.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:09 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,666 times
I decided to go ahead and get the vaccine today, but I will gladly respect business owners who still want me to mask up. Otherwise, I am looking forward to a summer of much-reduced masking.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:11 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
They could, but they are pretty much only putting themselves at high risk. Even though you can get Covid when vaccinated, it's much more mild than unvaccinated Covid. If anyone is going to get really sick, it's the people trying to pull a fast one. And that's just karma. The only downside are the mutations that may happen. But so far the vaccine protects against the variants. If that changes, the mask rule might change too.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:14 PM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:

All you have to do is worry about yourself. If you have had the shots, whats the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events