Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 09:57 AM

9,968 posts, read 4,720,866 times

Advertisements

A homeless woman sleeping on some park grass was killed by a landscaper/lawnmower while cutting grass.

https://www.kcra.com/article/modesto...eacts/44539899

Landscaper didn't notice the woman until after he ran her over. Couldn't see her at first because of grass height?

Also apparently that part of the park just sold which might be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 02:07 PM

2,045 posts, read 796,644 times
Yeah, I'm sure the landscaper saw her, purposely ran her over and then called 911.

The old man probably has a lawyer or one of the advocacy groups coaching him on how to get a financial settlement.

Old 07-16-2023, 03:49 PM

43,374 posts, read 18,487,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the landscaper saw her, purposely ran her over and then called 911.

The old man probably has a lawyer or one of the advocacy groups coaching him on how to get a financial settlement.
Not necessarily if it was high grass. He was on a tractor with probably a brush hog doing weed control.

When I lived rural I ran over a tire in the pasture and never saw it. And I was on a tractor with a brush hog...the grass was high

Old 07-16-2023, 03:58 PM

17,472 posts, read 16,654,588 times
They haven't even released the official cause of death, yet.

She was laying in tall weeds, why didn't she get up and move when she heard the sound of the mower approaching?

And why was this beautiful 27 year old woman homeless when she had a family that loved her living nearby? My guess is - drugs.

Old 07-16-2023, 06:04 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,026,576 times
Must have been very tall and dense grass. I wonder if they ever happens out in the cornfields. Corn grows super tall. Those machines are big and powerful too.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:17 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,554,903 times
It was noon and it's hotter than hell in the area right now. I can't help but wonder if she was already dead or passed out?

Old 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM

2,867 posts, read 4,545,795 times
unless you are high, how do you sleep thru the noise of an oncoming lawnmower?

Old 07-16-2023, 08:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,786 posts, read 58,271,470 times
As an equipment operator I'm aware of the difficulty in seeing EVERYTHING that is in the path of your working machinery.

In a park setting, it is very possible operator was avoiding trees, playground equipment, trash cans, fences, picnic shelters, BBQ pits, water fountains, basketball standards, people... and his trailing equiptment swung wide to the opposite side and clipped this person lying in tall grass. Very possible the victim passed out, drugs, heat exhaustion (109f). Sad experience for all.
Mowing grass at Beard Brook Park on a tractor with a pull behind mower when he saw a body in the grass that he had already passed through.
Probably a 'batwing' mower (broad swath)
https://bush-whacker.com/products/fl...-brush-cutter/
(YouTube for informational purpose (I'm not selling mine, or anyone elses' batwing mower))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jizjW3Pa1yw

Old 07-17-2023, 06:38 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,821,178 times
In the spring in central CA, the grass/weeds grow 2-3 feet tall and then dry out in the summer to a crispy yellow-brown. It's hot, dry, scratchy (they've got star thistles!) and full of the various bugs/rodents that live in the weeds. Why is a woman "sleeping outdoors during the daytime", as her dad says, in 100+ degree weather in a park full of high weeds? This guy is up on a tractor, mowing waist-high weeds, sweating balls working in this heat, he's not going to see something lying in the grass until he's almost on top of it, if he sees it at all. The cut grass is all behind him, so he doesn't see her until he comes back on the next pass. I'm willing to bet she was either dead already, or was passed out high or unconscious. In that heat and dry weather, heatstroke is a real possibility. This is really no different than the guy who gets squished because he was sleeping in a dumpster. Wrong place, wrong time, and no one else to blame. The father is lashing out, probably feeling guilty himself that his daughter was living homeless when he's living close by.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:14 AM

5,699 posts, read 3,206,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
They haven't even released the official cause of death, yet.

She was laying in tall weeds, why didn't she get up and move when she heard the sound of the mower approaching?

And why was this beautiful 27 year old woman homeless when she had a family that loved her living nearby? My guess is - drugs.
That was my thought as well. And dad hates hates hates that this is what it all came down to...so he's acting a little bit out of guilt...as though he could've done more for his daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events