Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times

Advertisements

I have decided that I would like to get back into shape. I was a competitive distance runner in college but the past 10 years I have allowed myself to get soft. One way I want to stay fit is by biking to work 2 or 3 days a week. The ride is about 8 miles each way, and it is almost all hills.

The past two weeks I have done it four times, and I am still light headed and my legs feel like jelly every single time. In my defense the heat index has been over 100 F quite a bit. How long do you think it will take, biking 100 miles a week or so total, to get to a level of fitness where I can ride to work without exhausting myself? I teach at a college, so I would like to be comfortable taking my bike once school starts in the fall, but I'll need plenty of energy to keep up with my students.

I am generally fine on the flat stretches, but the uphills are killer. I am carrying about 35 lbs more weight than I had as a runner, and I figure I will need to shed some of it. I do not know how fast I am going, but I would estimate that it is 10-20 mph on the flat/downhill and slower on the upslopes. It takes me 30-35 minutes to do the 8 miles, but I do have to stop at traffic lights, and there are a few stop signs with traffic that are at the bottom of big uphills that slow me down as well.

My question is this: is a 8 mile hilly commute in 30 minutes something that any decently fit recreational cyclist can do in their sleep or is it something that will always wear me out to some extent, assuming I don't start serious training?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:45 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
It takes me 10 miles just to warm up, or to be ready to do hills like I like to do them, which is usually attacking. Until I ride that distance, I can get winded pretty easily.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times
Depending on the route I take, I have a decent sized hill right at the beginning of my commute. It always takes a bit of exertion, but it went from "man, this is tough" to "alright, this isn't so bad" in a few weeks. From there it went to "pshh, this isn't bad at all" over a few months. The current status (which may actually be the worst) is "get in a higher gear and conquer that thing in x amount of seconds less than yesterday," hahaha.

One suggestion, depending on your finances, level of interest, blah blah blah: bike weight makes a big, big difference for climbing. If you have lots of hills on your commute, I'll wager you'll notice a significant difference by getting a lighter bike. We have a few bikes at my house and the difference between climbing on the 34 lb comfort bike or the 26 or so lb old touring bike and our 18 lb roadies is ridiculous.

Any choice you make will get easier and easier over time, of course. I hate to say it, but another great way to get the conditioning quick would be to do it every day for a while. That probably wouldn't be much fun, though, haha.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:40 AM

50,309 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Use a lower gear and spin for hills.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Are you already doing 100 miles per week? If so that seems like a big jump from nothing to me. If not it sounds like you're doing OK. You probably just need to take it easier on the uphills until you get your legs back. Stay hydrated. And good luck.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I have decided that I would like to get back into shape. I was a competitive distance runner in college but the past 10 years I have allowed myself to get soft. One way I want to stay fit is by biking to work 2 or 3 days a week. The ride is about 8 miles each way, and it is almost all hills.

The past two weeks I have done it four times, and I am still light headed and my legs feel like jelly every single time. In my defense the heat index has been over 100 F quite a bit. How long do you think it will take, biking 100 miles a week or so total, to get to a level of fitness where I can ride to work without exhausting myself? I teach at a college, so I would like to be comfortable taking my bike once school starts in the fall, but I'll need plenty of energy to keep up with my students.

I am generally fine on the flat stretches, but the uphills are killer. I am carrying about 35 lbs more weight than I had as a runner, and I figure I will need to shed some of it. I do not know how fast I am going, but I would estimate that it is 10-20 mph on the flat/downhill and slower on the upslopes. It takes me 30-35 minutes to do the 8 miles, but I do have to stop at traffic lights, and there are a few stop signs with traffic that are at the bottom of big uphills that slow me down as well.

My question is this: is a 8 mile hilly commute in 30 minutes something that any decently fit recreational cyclist can do in their sleep or is it something that will always wear me out to some extent, assuming I don't start serious training?
10 years since you used to run competitively? 35 extra pounds? I'd say 6 months to a year before you really feel like a strong cyclist and you shed much of that weight. It's nothing like running (I do both). Took me 3 seasons to get up to an average cruising speed of 20 mph on flat ground and shed my post college weight.

8 miles in 30 minutes is (obviously) averaging 16 mph. That's a decent overall speed. I wouldn't be disappointed with that. I've ridden with groups before where a "fast" pace was considered to be about 20 - 23 mph on flat ground, over a long distance. These guys were experienced riders (many also raced recreationally).

Did you have fluids? 30 minutes in 100 F heat index and you'll shed water fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling