Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,443,261 times

Advertisements

I was riding this morning while it was about 35 degrees out and my toes were considerably dumb by the end of my ride. Anyone have some affordable, easy solutions? This seems to be the final piece for me to comfortably ride during the cold months.

I wear wool socks, but that only seems to help so much. I think the key might be to cut down on the cold wind penetrating my shoe. I have seen some windproof shoe covers you can purchase from Pearl Izumi, but they are quite expensive if I remember correctly ($40?).

What do you guys do to keep your feet warm while riding in colder weather (sub-40 degrees)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,699,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I was riding this morning while it was about 35 degrees out and my toes were considerably dumb by the end of my ride. Anyone have some affordable, easy solutions? This seems to be the final piece for me to comfortably ride during the cold months.

I wear wool socks, but that only seems to help so much. I think the key might be to cut down on the cold wind penetrating my shoe. I have seen some windproof shoe covers you can purchase from Pearl Izumi, but they are quite expensive if I remember correctly ($40?).

What do you guys do to keep your feet warm while riding in colder weather (sub-40 degrees)?
If you ride clipless it will be tough to keep your feet really warm. If not then a premium pair of winter hunting boots/shoes that are insulated will help a bunch. NOTE: Do Not cut corners on your shoes for winter riding. Frostbite can , and does, happen in a flash and you won't know it until it's to late.

One point here: Sub zero temps multiply to a much, much colder temp when your feet/body move though the air as you will when you ride a bicycle. So dress for extreme cold temps at all times.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,759,874 times
I've read that it helps to keep your ankles particularly warm, but since my feet don't get unusually cold I can't confirm this.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,834,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post

Get some sealskin socks. Wear thin wool socks as liners inside the sealskinz, then wear your shoe covers over the shoes. or you can go the more expensive route and wear something like the Sidi winter shoes

Sidi - Diablo GTX

If you want to "poorboy" it, put some ziplock freezer bags over your socks and then put your shoes on.

Last edited by PanTerra; 10-08-2012 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
If you want to "poorboy" it, put some ziplock freezer bags over your socks and then put your shoes on.
Not the best advice to share.

Feet MUST breath even in cold weather. Plastic bags of any kind will trap moisture exhaled by the skin and hold it allowing it to freeze. It's true that limiting the draft of cold air on the skin of the foot is a good idea but never ever with a plastic bag. Better with a good insulated leather booth/shoe of good quality.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,834,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Not the best advice to share.

Feet MUST breath even in cold weather. Plastic bags of any kind will trap moisture exhaled by the skin and hold it allowing it to freeze. It's true that limiting the draft of cold air on the skin of the foot is a good idea but never ever with a plastic bag. Better with a good insulated leather booth/shoe of good quality.
That was if you wanted to "poor-boy" it, Gramps - please read carefully my entire post, and the OPs entire post. Since the OP considered $40 shoe covers too expensive, the same for the Sealskinz as they are $40 as well. Those zip locks (by the way, you don't seal them up) work in a pinch, and worked just fine for 2 hr rides in the dead of winter when you wear thick enough wool socks. I don't think he'll be purchasing the $300 Sidi's which would be the best remedy. Maybe just some $15.00 toe covers, but that just blocks the wind from your toes but still get cold. If you don't have the cash to get the best - the sidi shoes or the shoe covers or sealskinz, one must improvise to make it through the ride.

Besides your post was not exactly helpful as it was out of his price range.

Last edited by PanTerra; 10-09-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,279,993 times
The chemical heat packets work well. But I only use them when it's extremely cold since wool socks and shoe covers work well.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
That was if you wanted to "poor-boy" it, Gramps - please read carefully my entire post, and the OPs entire post. Since the OP considered $40 shoe covers too expensive, the same for the Sealskinz as they are $40 as well. Those zip locks (by the way, you don't seal them up) work in a pinch, and worked just fine for 2 hr rides in the dead of winter when you wear thick enough wool socks. I don't think he'll be purchasing the $300 Sidi's which would be the best remedy. Maybe just some $15.00 toe covers, but that just blocks the wind from your toes but still get cold. If you don't have the cash to get the best - the sidi shoes or the shoe covers or sealskinz, one must improvise to make it through the ride.

Besides your post was not exactly helpful as it was out of his price range.
I'm a firm believer in "Do no harm". That includes advice that might enable the reader to harm themselves with advice I gave knowing it was not the best!! I'll leave it to the reader to decide what is beyond their price range. There are just to many variable and unknowns to give advice that is marginal at best damn dangerous at worst!!

I knew that a plastic bag might work but I also knew that the reader might not be aware of the danger of fast frost bite due to the bag not allowing feet to breath. Do no harm by giving bad consul.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,275,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The chemical heat packets work well. But I only use them when it's extremely cold since wool socks and shoe covers work well.
Chemical heat pack are the best thing since slice bread

I generally hit the treadmill or recumbent bike when the outside temp drops below 45 but I spent some time working in the oilfield. Let me tell, a good pair of Wool socks and Chemical heat packs goes a long ways when you have to stand out in the freezing temps working!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,759,874 times
One thing I learned in my commuting days that I forgot to mention: I found that if I wore socks that were too thick, my feet would actually feel colder. My feet felt the warmest (or rather, least cold) when my shoes weren't especially tight. The thick socks made my shoes tight, and then my feet would get pretty cold. I don't know if the circulation was being cut off from them a little or if the thicker socks filled in a tiny gap that would normally allow some body heat to linger, or maybe a combination of the two. Gloves seem to be the same way for me; too tight = colder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling