Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 07:35 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Velocity Deep Vs are are very durable rims. They are heavy but their aero profile will cut through the wind but it does take longer to get them to spin up. YOu might see them on tri or TT bikes. Are your hubs 36 spoke?
Yes they are, I just counted them. The paint would rub off on those right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
As I pulled up to my building and got off I started to push the bike to the door and I realized that it was tough to move, my bike tire was up against the frame. I assume I messed up putting the rear wheel back on and it must have came a loose. Good thing I didn't got too far or too fast. I haven't looked at it yet, but how can I be sure it is properly assembled?
Make sure you're operating the quick release properly, because it sounds like the wheel wasn't tight enough in the frame. It's a common mistake for people to try to tighten the quick release by turning it like a wrench, when actually the real force of the quick release comes from flipping the lever into the "closed" position. Most levers are marked "open" and "closed", but in case yours isn't, the "closed" position should be when the lever curves inward toward the frame.

What I do is, with the lever in the "open" position, tighten the nut on the other side until it almost snugs up against the frame, then flip the lever into the closed position. I usually have to either tighten or loosen the nut again before getting it just right. You want the lever to require some force to close all the way, but not so much it feels like you're going to break it, or so much that you can't physically close it entirely.

How To Use Bicycle Quick Releases

Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Okay I think I have it closed properly now. I read on the pager that it may need re-lubed because it might appear tighter than it really is? I also adjusted my brakes and made them tighter. I am about to go out for another short ride to check and make sure all is well.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:59 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Yes they are, I just counted them. The paint would rub off on those right?
Not for a long time, if they are factory painted by Velocity.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I am sure those Michelins will be fine. They are probably not as supple a casing and not ride as well, but they will do in a pinch. Looking at the Michelin website, even though they are called "sport" their rating only gives them one star for sport. They recommend for usage more for touring and best usage for leisure. So don't expect any kind of performance. But that is probably not what you are looking for.

Michelin Bicycle USA - A better way forward®

Just as a side note - You don't necessarily have to feel that since you got your Raleigh for so little, that any upgrades to it, such as tires, have to be just as cheap to keep it in line with its actual cost - to you. That bike, when new was not cheap, so don't feel that new components, parts or accessories, should somehow reflect your initial cost of the bike and get the cheapest you can find.

Do you have any idea how much this bike cost when it was new? Just curious.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 PM

I went on my first long ride today, well it was long to me probably wouldn't be long to you guys. The bike held up pretty good and so far I like the 25 tires. I rode a bike/pedestrian path along the waterfront all the way down the county. It was a beautiful day and there was wonderful scenery with the water and the NYC skyline across the river/bay. I figured it would be better getting more acquainted with the bike on the bike path as oppose to the street in traffic. I still had to ride on the street in some locales to get to the path and in spots where the walkway hasn't been finished or has been damaged by Sandy. I noticed that I shy away from shifting. So far I am still not a fan of the DT shifting. I think I shifted about 3 or 4 times the whole way. Overall my trip was between 10-13 miles round trip.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 PM

Actually scratch that, I just used googlemaps and I went about 16 miles round trip. Hopefully this link works:
https://www.google.com/maps/preview#....8059717&fid=0

Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Do you have any idea how much this bike cost when it was new? Just curious.
If it is the Raleigh Technium that you linked earlier, that link is dead. But I am guessing $500-$1000 range. They were Raleigh's first entry into aluminum frames, low to mid component group depending on the model, but they had basically the same frame. Translating those dollars to now would be probably $1500 - $2000.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I went on my first long ride today, well it was long to me probably wouldn't be long to you guys. The bike held up pretty good and so far I like the 25 tires. I rode a bike/pedestrian path along the waterfront all the way down the county. It was a beautiful day and there was wonderful scenery with the water and the NYC skyline across the river/bay. I figured it would be better getting more acquainted with the bike on the bike path as oppose to the street in traffic. I still had to ride on the street in some locales to get to the path and in spots where the walkway hasn't been finished or has been damaged by Sandy. I noticed that I shy away from shifting. So far I am still not a fan of the DT shifting. I think I shifted about 3 or 4 times the whole way. Overall my trip was between 10-13 miles round trip.
I felt the same way about down-tube shifters as you do. If you really get bitten by the cycling bug, you'll soon be selling that bike and looking for an upgrade with STI shifting. Love your description of the ride, though. I imagined riding it and looking across the river to my sister's building.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
If it is the Raleigh Technium that you linked earlier, that link is dead. But I am guessing $500-$1000 range. They were Raleigh's first entry into aluminum frames, low to mid component group depending on the model, but they had basically the same frame. Translating those dollars to now would be probably $1500 - $2000.

Yes it is one of the ones I posted on here. I posted two, one I found out was either an 87 or and 88. That one was red, black, and white. The one I got was the Black, with Silver lettering and Raspberry stripes one which I found out was a 1989 Technium Pre. I was planning to create a flickr account so I can post some pictures of it. Most of the other bikes I looked at I saw there MSRP prices when they had come out, but for some reason there is no info like that about this bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling