Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:50 AM

607 posts, read 2,368,176 times

Advertisements

Go Out,

Thanks for the thoughts. I took a giant out for a test ride this week and it was a Revel 29 0. Thought it was ok. I now know I have to ride the other brands first before settling on one. It was a L frame. I looked on a site that said the best mtn bike for @ $500 was the specialized overdrive. I might see if a shop around here has one. I heard one shop say that Giant and Trek bikes are made in the same facility.....does that sound right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Go Out,

Thanks for the thoughts. I took a giant out for a test ride this week and it was a Revel 29 0. Thought it was ok. I now know I have to ride the other brands first before settling on one. It was a L frame. I looked on a site that said the best mtn bike for @ $500 was the specialized overdrive. I might see if a shop around here has one. I heard one shop say that Giant and Trek bikes are made in the same facility.....does that sound right?
Before Giant started branding their own bikes, they built, and still do, a lot of the Low and mid level bikes for a lot of manufactures. You can google a lot of histories of bike manufacturing that explain this.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,646 times
I like my Cannondal Trail 5. Adjustable/lockable front suspension, disc breaks, aluminum frame. I got it on sale at the beginning of the year, but I got it for less than $600 I think.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM

175 posts, read 595,040 times
FF,

Sorry, I have not heard of a Specialized Overdrive model. IMO, the Specialized equivilent to the Giant Revel would be the Hardrock. That's what my son has and it's also a nice entry level bike. It's still worth considering the components between brands. For example, if you pull up a 26" Specialized Hardrock Disc (MSRP $550) and a 26" Giant Revel 1 Disc (MSRP $525) there are a few upgrades for the Giant (most noticably - 100mm vs. 80 mm fork, SRAM shifters/deraillures, SR Suntour crankset). At the end of the day, get what feels best for your body and riding style. That's what you'll enjoy riding the most. I have not ridden a Cannondale, but know they make a quality bike.

As for the where the two bikes are made - I believe both are manufactured in Asia - Taiwan/China (most bikes are). Therefore, it's possible they could be made at the same facility (Giant is a big manufacturer as stated above). In my experience, both are of equal quality, but can have different geometry and components that might sway folks one way or the other. Another thing you might also want to consider is what brand is carried by the better local bike shop (friendly, helpful, clean/organized, service, etc. - sometimes it's a gut feel). That has tipped the scales for me in the past when deciding between several bikes. Keep test riding and you'll find a good fit!

Old 07-25-2013, 05:29 PM

OPPPS. The Overdrive is by Diamond Back I believe. Seems like I am overthinking this thing. I see so many inputs from people that say one is better than the other. Personal preference always is......personal. If I can't use the quality of better engineered products than I don't want to pay for them. Like in Golf, I can go buy a $3000 set of clubs, but it won't make me a pro golfer....maybe just shaves a few strokes off my game. Likewise, I don't want to overpay for my abilities on a bike. I am just looking for a solid bike in the $500-700 range I guess.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,384 times
Quote:
OPPPS. The Overdrive is by Diamond Back I believe. Seems like I am overthinking this thing. I see so many inputs from people that say one is better than the other. Personal preference always is......personal. If I can't use the quality of better engineered products than I don't want to pay for them. Like in Golf, I can go buy a $3000 set of clubs, but it won't make me a pro golfer....maybe just shaves a few strokes off my game. Likewise, I don't want to overpay for my abilities on a bike. I am just looking for a solid bike in the $500-700 range I guess.
That is exactly right. For the type of riding you are describing, you are not going to notice a lick of difference between the Trek, Giant, or Specialized models in that price range, at least in terms of performance- pay more attention to fit, as others have said. All entry-level components and frames, but more than capable of doing what you'll need them to do.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 AM

175 posts, read 595,040 times
I agree with Mountain Lion. A newer rider won't be able to tell much difference between the 3 main entry level bikes. All are fine choices, so you can't lose. I'm also a golfer and while I agree with your comment that buying expensive golf clubs won't make you a pro, the analogy understates the difference for mountain bikes. IMO, a higher end mountain bike will make an average rider a pretty good rider - the technology has gotten that good (mainly full suspension, frame material/design/stiffness, brakes, wheels/tires, weight etc.). Going from a $500 hardtail to a $4,000 full suspension bike is a HUGE difference. I'd describe it more like going from a standard-def to high-def TV - you really notice. That said, going from a $4,000 bike to an $8,000 bike is not as noticable. More like going from a good 720p TV to 1080p where is seems only a trained eye can decipher much difference.

FF, I think you're making a wise investment and are in the sweet spot price-wise for someone newer to mountain biking. Start out with a nice entry-level bike, which will work well for your intended use and help you develop better basic riding skills. Then, if your passion grows and you find yourself on more challenging trails, upgrade to a full-suspension bike later. Time to go pull the trigger and ride!

Last edited by GoOutsideAndPlay; 07-26-2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 AM

Update, I got on a Cannondale trail 5 and a Marin Bobcat yesterday. I liked the bikes and got the frame size dialed in. The Marin had Deore components and the C5 had acera? The marin had 100 mm front shock travel the c5 had 80 I think. The Marin was in the $800 range and the C5 close to $600. The only other bike I haven't sat on yet is the DBack Overdrive. I am getting close and appreciate the feedback.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 AM

Ok, I finally saw the diamondback overdrive today. Looked nice but did not have the lockout feature on the forks. Was around $550 for a 2013 bike. I did drive a Specialized Hardrock sport disc 29 and a Giant talon as well. The Specialized had hydraulic brakes and at $699. Could get the outgoing model in "white" for $649, but didn't like the color pattern. The Giant had fancier components, but I liked the feel of the Specialized. The Giant had trouble going through gears and they tried to adjust, but still wasn't right.

Looks like the short list is

Cannondale trail 5
Specialized hardrock sport disc
Trek Marlin

All are 29ers. Any final thoughts before I maker the plunge?

Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,353 times
Forget about color and components, go for fit and feel.

Quote:
Ok, I finally saw the diamondback overdrive today. Looked nice but did not have the lockout feature on the forks. Was around $550 for a 2013 bike. I did drive a Specialized Hardrock sport disc 29 and a Giant talon as well. The Specialized had hydraulic brakes and at $699. Could get the outgoing model in "white" for $649, but didn't like the color pattern. The Giant had fancier components, but I liked the feel of the Specialized. The Giant had trouble going through gears and they tried to adjust, but still wasn't right.

Looks like the short list is

Cannondale trail 5
Specialized hardrock sport disc
Trek Marlin

All are 29ers. Any final thoughts before I maker the plunge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling