Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 04:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times

Advertisements

So when I was spec-ing out my bike, the assembler as selling points for some of the choices, is that they were popular with "randonneurs."

And I was like what's that. He gave me a quick download on what that meant, and then I got curious and learned more.

Here are some links on the details:
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/...randonneuring/
A beginners guide to randonneuring | Bicycle Times Magazine

And to sum up what makes a good "rando bike:"
  • Comfortable for long rides in a range of conditions
  • Fast enough to make the cut-off time
  • Has lights for riding in the dark
  • Protects you from water and road grime
  • Has a way to carry the stuff you need for a brevet (aka the long distance ride) - maps, layers, snacks, drinks, repair equipment

These bike are typically equipped with wider tires, fenders, front rack, bag, lights and a semi-upright position.

Even though I have no interest in riding 300k, it seems downright practical to get a bike equipped for brevets. Your bike is comfy, works on lots of terrain and weather, let's you carry stuff and it has lights to ride at night.

Of course there are a whole host of randonneurs who also have very specific aesthetic preferences. I like those choices because they remind me of the classically formed 70s 10-speeds, old school racing bikes and 40s bikes.

So what do you think, is a rando bike the perfect all around bike for most uses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 04:00 PM

19 posts, read 69,825 times
A bike with all the things you mention certainly makes for a good all-rounder. Before mountain bikes captured most of the recreational biking market, a lot of manufacturers made "sports tourers" which make for good rando bikes (once the fenders, lights, etc are added). These are bikes that handle well unloaded or with a handlebar bag and/or saddle bag , unlike full touring bikes that work better fully laden with panniers.

I think that a lot of hybrid bikes with 700C wheels make for great all-rounders, too.

As far as buying modern off-the-shelf for this purpose, I only know of Alex Singer, Rivendell, Heron, and a few others. Velo Orange sells frames suitable for randonneuring. Vero Orange has a lot of components and accessories for this type of cycling, too. I personally don't think a multi-thousand dollar bike (as some of the above are) is an "all-rounder" since I'd be worried about theft if I were using it for errands, and my all-rounder is an older steel Trek 700. I have a Trek 400 Elance triple that's my "credit card tourer" that I'm outfitting for brevets and randonnées and plan to do some next year.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:02 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Harley Davidson fits the bill!

Old 12-13-2016, 07:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
A steel frame "touring bike" would fit the description of the link. Even though you're not actually using it for touring (long-distance trips), it can support a rack and fenders, has the geometry of a road but a bit smoother of a ride.

But yes, I have a similar bike. It works well as a city commuter bike as well as long-distance day rides [not quite as fast a road racing bike, but you can carry snacks, layer or other gear easily]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling