Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:55 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,320 times

Advertisements

I have been reading a lot on statins lately and am not liking what I read.

Has anyone stopped taking statins?
Going to talk this over with my Doc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 09:39 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I was put on statins one time. The muscle pain wasn't worth it and the literature that came with the prescription said to discontinue taking it if you experienced muscle pain. I stopped taking it but the doctor told me to continue. I never did go back on the statins.

I had a neighbor who told me about his brother who is disabled from taking statins. It can damage the muscles.

A nurse told me statins can be dangerous and she said she would never take them.

I guess they do help some people, in fact I know someone who has been on statins for a few years after having had a stroke. If they can prevent strokes or heart attacks, that's good but it does seem that they are over-prescribed. I'd be interested to see what other people have to say because my knowledge and experience with statins is limited.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I read up a lot on statins and discussed the side effects with the husbands doctors since he had many of the more common ones.
They both were adamant that he stay on them and the cardiologist explained why, in his case, they were important since they do more than just lower cholesterol.
However, if being taken for a only cholesterol problem, I would avoid them and do a serious change of diet.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:54 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
I'm on them but only twice a week now. I had terrible insomnia from it and horrible itching. I only take it twice a week now and it's much better.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:26 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
I've been taking statins for years but recently I started having muscle cramps and pain all over my body so the doctor told me to stop the Lipitor temporarily and see what happens. About 3 days after stopping the Lipitor those symtoms went away and I've never felt better since.
Now my arteries are probably clogging up. It never ends.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
I took statins and my body felt like a 100 year old lady...it was bad. I do a cholesterol medication and is not exactly a statin and I don't have as much side effects but still some. I do want to talk to my doctor about how long I've been on these. I guess it's a trade off because I really can't get my cholesterol down just by diet and exercise, I've tried.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:27 AM

15 posts, read 18,008 times
I was able to lower my cholesterol by switching to coconut oil instead of olive, peanut or vegetable oil. This was in addition to all the obvious changes in diet. I also ingest a tablespoon of the cocnut oil either in my coffee or my protein smoothie every morning. It raises your good levels & lowers the bad.
Whenever I feel a fried chicken craving coming on, I read the list of side effects caused by cholesterol drugs & that usually cures me real fast.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:14 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
I take statins but don't want to. Weight loss seems to not be viable because of other meds I have to take....I hate it.

But, at my last check up, the doctor was ecstatic about my numbers being so much better. I can't remember the exact conversation about the good numbers and the bad numbers but, he said "everything was so much better". The only thing I could figure out that was different was the fact that I had been using a lot of grapeseed oil. I am sold on it. I have bought some coconut oil that I am going to try. someone put it in their coffee in the mornings and I will try that.

I have a friend who has had a heart attack and refuses to take statins. Period.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
I've been taking statins for quite a few years (Zocor). It does reduce my cholesterol nicely, and I have not had any of the side affects (sore muscles). My diet is reasonable - a zealot would find some room for improvement, but I enjoy food and won't go on a permanent diet that is devoid some of the things I enjoy from time to time.

Sometimes life involves some tradeoffs I guess.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:43 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I tried to take statins and had nerve pains within the first few days and therefore have never done so again. I know that my diet does directly effect my cholesterol levels and by changing it I have improved the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals