Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 07:04 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times

Advertisements

Hubby had a hip replacement 1 1/2 years ago. He has had an ongoing struggle with infection at the site of the incision.
Just recently, he developed a lump at the site, and needed a $1400. course of oral antibiotic to treat it. Last week it was still draining, so he had to have surgery again and has been in the hospital for 3 days receiving IV penicillin.
He will need to wear a pump of some kind and be on the IV for most of this month. We are freaking out with worry.
We are trying to count our blessings that the infection has not compromised the hip, but are at wit's end as to how to cope with this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 12:11 PM

350 posts, read 415,827 times
Gentlearts:

Make sure they do a test for what type of bacteria he has. Once they know this they can make sure (and you can do the research and verify) that they are using the correct antibiotic for the bacteria. Also, if the infection is not being eliminated and there are other antibiotics available for the bacteria have them change it. There are antibiotic susceptibility tests that can be done.

My husband had been on IV antibiotics for well over a month for an infection. I even learned to administer it! Not a big deal but you want to make sure that he is getting the right antibiotic. It might make him tired. Not sure if it was the antibiotic or his body fighting the infection.

I wish you and your husband the best of luck.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:57 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I deal with a 2010 anterior hip replacement with 3 major complications but no infection that I know of...it's been a bumpy road, that is a mild comment. We hear of so much that can go wrong but do these with faith that we will be ok with the outcome...

A person on another joint replacement group went thru the infection saga, had to have both hips removed and then redone in months...this was with a double hip replacement. She was in hospital with IV's of antiobiotics.....her story is agnozing. What I know now I don't think I'd elect this hip replacement... I don't know what I would have done.

We sure do take our chances and HOPE for the best...but live with what we end up with. Hope your husband is coming along and doing better. So sorry.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:15 PM

22,832 posts, read 6,434,961 times
Several years ago my husband had a back infection, they couldn't pin down the
bacteria type so they gave him a broad spectrum antibiotic. They put a port in his
arm and sent him home after he was in the hospital awhile. They mailed refrigerated antibiotics to the house.
The first day the nurse showed me how to prepare the port and put in the medicine..2nd
day she watched as she had me do it, third day I was on my own...Everyday for 6 weeks
I gave the medication, a nurse came once a week to clean out the area....I was
always worried I would do something wrong, I have no medical background.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:25 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,517,696 times
I was in the hospital on IV antibiotics for six months from Halloween 2015 to May 2, 2016 for sepsis. Twice over the last three years, I've been sent home and had to give myself antibiotics as well.

And, yes, I know I responded to a two-year-old thread.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I was in the hospital on IV antibiotics for six months from Halloween 2015 to May 2, 2016 for sepsis. Twice over the last three years, I've been sent home and had to give myself antibiotics as well.

And, yes, I know I responded to a two-year-old thread.
Are you still taking abx drugs?

My story is back in Nov 2016, I started to fall in apt, fall backwards, my right knee/leg just gave out. After a few days and 2 more falls, the 3rd fall I could not get up. 911 took me to ER. It took the team of doctors almost 3 months to FINALLY realize after MRI that I had staph infection in my knee. I was put on IV's for about 2 months and oral abx for 2 weeks and it's gone "we think"...I went from hospital to rehabs (3) with this almost 5 month saga. I don't know but any longer perhaps I could have gone to sepsis. It was a nightmare and left me almost crippled with this knee/leg.

I know doctors can save lives, but they can sure miss a lot too.

For a few months I feared I'd never walk again.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:53 AM

Good info on this class of abx drugs. Thank goodness the doctors didn't use this class for my issue, I could reallly be crippled, I'm bad enough now.

https://www.consumerreports.org/drug...on-infections/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals