Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 07:10 PM

29 posts, read 55,416 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I did some searching and didn't come across any recent discussions on this. I bought my home at the beginning of the year and it had been overseeded with winter rye over St. Augustine. Well, now that the rye has died off, a lot of the St. Augustine hasn't come back so I'm having to resod.

I've gotten one quote so far and that was for 140 square yards of sod for $1300 and that's including all costs. Does this sound reasonable given the prep work to remove the old dead grass and install new?

I've also been quoted at around $3k for a sprinkler system. I know this would be hard to gauge without seeing the property, but the backyard is roughly 50'x50' with mature trees along the perimeter and the front is smaller at 25'x40'. Just curious if this seems reasonable to those who have recent experience with this.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
it is not so much the size of the backyard as how many stations you want to have or need to have on the sprinkler system--
more stations mean more complicated/expensive controller
what brand of system did they quote to use--
some are better than others
you should make sure it has a rain sensor--think that is city ordinance now

guy across the street from me was having St Augustine layed in his back yard and I asked him why--he had the st augustine decline--that he got about 100 yrds and the guy just laid it over the old/dead grass--did not take out anything...which of course made easier install
his stuff was less but the price was cheaper--but the guy doing his work lives in our neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas