Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,718 times

Advertisements

One can receive better quality service in the Dallas - Fort Worth area than in the Houston area. I think this has always been true, but is more apparent today. As we become more of a service economy, quality of service will become even more important.
Being the retail and wholesale capital of the southwest, having competition between its many large cities and suburbs, and its sense of high fashion and glamour are reasons why the Dallas - Fort Worth area has better quality service.
Now, the Dallas - Fort Worth area isn't perfect by any means. The area should always be mindful of its high standards and in improving on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 12:32 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
Wtf?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 AM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote Well, cities are compared and contrasted in many ways. But when visitors begin a thread asking how they compare and contrast, I'm talking about Houston and Dallas - Fort Worth here, most folks just reply that they are the same old ball of wax. My argument is that the quality of customer service is the most important aspect that distinguishes them. How nice are the employees in the stores? How clean are the restaurants? How long will you be made to stand in line? That kind of thing. I have heard and have witnessed a higher standard of customer service in the Dallas - Fort Worth area. Let me say that I have witnessed a very poor standard while visiting Mexico. My methodology picks which area is more like Mexico and I have determined that area to be Houston.
I have recently had insight into what the future holds and it isn't good. Having our pets die because of poison in their dog food was one of them. I bought a bad bag of rice recently with bugs in it and was told by a Hispanic woman that they were free meat to go along with the rice. While I could have mentally adjusted to the bugs quite easily without a problem, the idea should always be to keep all bugs out of the food -- lest a lot more mice and rats invade our food supply (trust me, you don't want to know). For the sake of the restaurant industry, the tables we eat at need not only to be clean but sanitary.
Along the way, there are so many steps that go into the process of preparing an American cheeseburger. This requires people to obey the rules, regulations, and the laws. When the people stop doing that, then we will no longer be able to protect our food supply. Then we might as well as just close down all the restaurants.
So, what is a good way to make people conscious about obeying the rules, regulations and the laws? Well, by making quality and standards of customer service an issue when comparing and contrasting metropolitan areas.
Dallas - Fort Worth has better quality of customer service.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-18-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
Quality of life depends on how much money you have and what you do with it. If you don't like the customer service in one place , then you go to the next. I don't know if you've ever been in the industry but believe me it gets repetitive day after day. I use the process of elimination and amount of time I have to get what I want on any given day. The "customer service" is no better in Dallas than any other city unless you're going to expensive restaurants, etc. Customers nowadays want everyone in the industry to be some kind of psychologist to hear about their problems while everyone else just wants to get what they need and go. I take it your the kind of person who expects "superb" service at a gas station LOL. Those jobs always have been and always will be a revolving door of employees who just want to earn money for their bills.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
Not sure how much faith one can have in a list that gives Houston, a city that is constantly fighting for the title of most obese in the U.S., high marks in the athletic/active category.
^ That America's Favorite Cities link is total garbage.

I suppose seeing Houston ranked ahead of Los Angeles in categories such as; nightlife, shopping and hotels, tipped me off that there's a biased slant going on somewhere.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Quality of life depends on how much money you have and what you do with it. If you don't like the customer service in one place , then you go to the next. I don't know if you've ever been in the industry but believe me it gets repetitive day after day. I use the process of elimination and amount of time I have to get what I want on any given day. The "customer service" is no better in Dallas than any other city unless you're going to expensive restaurants, etc. Customers nowadays want everyone in the industry to be some kind of psychologist to hear about their problems while everyone else just wants to get what they need and go. I take it your the kind of person who expects "superb" service at a gas station LOL. Those jobs always have been and always will be a revolving door of employees who just want to earn money for their bills.
But, you know, things are never equal. That is why we write essays that compare and contrast. I think it is a huge mistake not having customer service as the most important aspect to consider when gauging quality of life. What good is quality of life if your pets die from eating poison, too many rat hairs and bugs are found in the food, and people are happy waiting in line all day long? I don't want to wait in line all day long because I have a better thing to do which is working hard at making others happy! SO, GET THE LINE MOVING UP AHEAD!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
My ex's parents and my current inlaws live in Houston, so I have gotten to spend a lot of time there. The only thing I can really talk about is restaurants, and yeah...the service does tend to be better in DFW. And the experience tends to be more orderly and less helter-skelter.

Obvious exceptions but my impression as a whole.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My ex's parents and my current inlaws live in Houston, so I have gotten to spend a lot of time there. The only thing I can really talk about is restaurants, and yeah...the service does tend to be better in DFW. And the experience tends to be more orderly and less helter-skelter.

Obvious exceptions but my impression as a whole.
You know, Stan4, Houston doesn't really have the restaurant row phenomenon that exists in Dallas - Fort Worth. They do have some areas that will tend to string together quite a few restaurants but nothing like one will find in the Dallas - Fort Worth area. I wonder if this adds to the competition and the quality of service? I'm still of the opinion that the Dallas - Fort Worth area just takes itself more seriously as a retail and wholesale market. As the confluence or the crossroads of the southwest, it is chosen as a test market for a reason.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
You know, Stan4, Houston doesn't really have the restaurant row phenomenon that exists in Dallas - Fort Worth. They do have some areas that will tend to string together quite a few restaurants but nothing like one will find in the Dallas - Fort Worth area. I wonder if this adds to the competition and the quality of service? I'm still of the opinion that the Dallas - Fort Worth area just takes itself more seriously as a retail and wholesale market. As the confluence or the crossroads of the southwest, it is chosen as a test market for a reason.

An interesting point! You know, here in Dallas, people are always using customer service as a selling point and trying to outcompete each other by using customer service as the lure to customers. This is true of restaurants, car dealers, hospitals...maybe it is a density thing.

I'm also ok with the concept that Houston and Dallas are different cities with different populations and ideas and culture and that's just how things are there. Just because we're in the same state doesn't mean that everyone has to think the same or act the same or believe the same thing.

You want customer service shock, go to Germany. Sheesh. The Walmart there had to discontinue the greeter person because it was freaking people out.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
UGH!!! If you want to experience HORRIBLE customer service in Dallas........... go to the Hollister at NorthPark. It was AWFUL!!! I mean so bad that I DID send them an email. If the level of customer service is that low all the time at that store it is a wonder that it is not the least profitable store in the chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas