Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 13,389 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are just arriving to Dallas from France and we are looking for a nice place to live.
We are now staying temporary in the M-streets, which we find very nice, safe and we like the fact that bars and restaurants on Greenville are close enough to walk there.

We've just visited a beautiful duplex on Victor Street in Junius Heights and now, we don't know what to do. The duplex is great, the block and the few blocks around look very nice, very pretty... but... there's always a "but"... we've read a lot of stuffs about crime in this area.. and now, we don't know if we should take this place or not.

In Paris, France, where we come from, we were in the close suburbs, with a very mixed population, so we were used to being careful not to leave things in the car or to lock our doors... we never had any problems.
Now, we don't know about USA. When American people think a place is not extremely safe, is it really dangerous...? or is it what we were used to in France...?
Also, in Europe, we are used to walk more than here, where driving seems the most natural thing...

So, if anyone can tell me what they think about Junius Heights area, about the nice places around where we could walk for a drink... and about how safe it is to walk alone, as a women, during the day, or as a couple in the evening...

Thanks.

PS : Sorry for my english, a little too french sometimes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 05:42 PM

264 posts, read 701,818 times
I had good friends who lived around there and they never had any problems. There are sketchy parts of Junius Heights, but having common sense & taking simple precautions will help. It's a great area and we considered moving there but decided to give Denver a try. Who knows, we might make it back one day.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:47 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
It's closer to what you describe your French neighborhood being- in a "center city" neighborhood, on the whole is safe, but there is vandalism (like stealing a handbag left visibly in a car) and break-INS (so make sure the duplex has an alarm/ security system). I have several friends over there and visit often- never feel unsafe as a single young woman. You do see the occasional sketchy looking people walking through the main cross streets (like Munger or Fitzhugh), but I have not noticed them in the residential streets.

As for places to walk to, there honestly isn't a ton (Garden Cafe on Junius is in the neighborhood) unless you live at the northern end of the neighborhood, within walkig distance of Lakewood Village. Then you would have over a dozen restaurants, bars, public library, banks, Whole Foods grocery store, etc within a short walk.

I think it's perfectly fine for a woman to walk alone during the day; I would not walk more than a block or so after dark though, just to be extra safe.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM

Thanks for your help...

Old 09-28-2010, 02:10 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Which part of Victor? Some parts are nearer the rougher apartments off Columbia and Reiger - but I know some folks there who have never complained. You really shouldn't have too much trouble. I've lived in JH for almost ten years (and owned a home for 23 years) and I've never had any problem at all. I walk all the time and at all hours - sometimes walking home at 2am from Lakewood Tavern, Balcony Club, Wine Therapist, Lakewood Landing, Times Ten or other places. Bienvenue!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Lakewooder is right. Being close to the Lakewood landing makes everything ok. Too bad the Tipperary closed.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 AM

It's the block between Munger and Collett...
So it's probably the part you're talking about, nearer the rougher apartments (

I've asked around when visiting the area and everyone says the same : it's very nice and you can go up the street as much as you want, in direction to lakewood, but avoid to go the other way too far, like after 3-4 blocks, and everything is going to be fine...

Well, we'll see by ourselves now cos we've decided to take the apartment...

Thanks for your help !

Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 AM

100 posts, read 440,451 times
Lots of good bar and restaurant options at the eastern end of Junius Heights: Lakewood Shopping Center at Gaston and Abrams and also the area at Skillman and Live Oak.

And roverchris, the Tipperary Inn has recently reopened as Molly Maguire's (we've just been calling it the "New Tipp"). Went there the other night. Not bad - very similar to the Tipp in its most recent incarnation.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:16 PM

Good to hear about the Tipperary. That's a great space, cool decor & you can walk across the street to the landing. When we come back to visit next summer, we'll be sure to have a pint there.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
If safety is a major concern, I'd pass on this neighborhood.
If you're willing to trade off a little (especially after dark) safety for the benefits you've seen, then go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas