Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:40 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,552 times

Advertisements

As Dallas is miles ahead of Houston, literally speaking, in the development of its light rail system, and years ahead of Houston in the development of TODs (transit oriented developments), the more modern city of Dallas is about to leap ahead in regards to submerging its freeways to connect urban neighborhoods.
While submerging freeways is nothing new in either Dallas or Houston, the two cities do it for different reasons. As the Woodall Rogers freeway in Dallas was submerged specifically to enhance and connect downtown with the neighborhood to its north, Houston submerges its freeways with the expressed intention of having them hold flood waters.
Having a park built over the submerged Woodall Rogers Freeway between Uptown and the Arts District of downtown Dallas is going to result in catipulting Dallas over the more primitive Houston.
Houston does continue to put up tall office buildings, but this should be considered passe.
While Houston does have plans to submerge its freeways to connect its inner urban core areas, it just got through rebuilding an elevated portion of the Southwest freeway dividing Midtown from its Museum district as well as rebuilding just 14 years ago the elevated portion of I-45 that seperates downtown Houston from Midtown.
In other words, if Houston does have plans on submerging its freeways, then the plan has to be considered many years away to do so.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 08-28-2010 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: tweaking

Old 08-28-2010, 05:01 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Someone should buy you a dictionary so you can figure out what words actually mean.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Dallas couldn't possibly be miles ahead of Houston as the two are in completely different parts of the state, on different highways and not even headed in the same direction. And the way to two metros (used loosely) are as different as those directions.

Don't be a fool to try to compare the two. They may both be in Texas but that's the end of their relativity.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:30 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Dallas couldn't possibly be miles ahead of Houston as the two are in completely different parts of the state, on different highways and not even headed in the same direction. And the way to two metros (used loosely) are as different as those directions.

Don't be a fool to try to compare the two. They may both be in Texas but that's the end of their relativity.
The views of Mister Nifty are not that of the Dallas public or the Public Broadcasting Station.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:59 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,347 times
Then Dallas is “light years” ahead compared to San Antonio. I can’t stand how behind things are down here.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
The views of Mister Nifty are not that of the Dallas public or the Public Broadcasting Station.
Its almost as if he is begging someone to flame him. People from Houston get upset and start talking bad about Dallas. Then the normal Dallas posters chime in and then you have huge waste of a thread. I hate that s**t.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:27 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Default and here I am fom Houston!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Its almost as if he is begging someone to flame him. People from Houston get upset and start talking bad about Dallas. Then the normal Dallas posters chime in and then you have huge waste of a thread. I hate that s**t.
Actually, I really like Dallas and the people who live there. I agree - people who start threads like this are doing it for the strife.

I don't like to compare any city to another - they all are different and that's a good thing. Otherwise, why ever leave home?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:01 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Houston does continue to put up tall office buildings, but this should be considered passe.
Wait, what? So Houston will just "throw" up buildings just for the fun of it?! Srsly dude take your medication, bro. I saw your "comparison" to Paris in other posts as well, wtf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj8IA6xOpSk&NR=1

Old 08-29-2010, 10:36 AM

86 posts, read 199,103 times
What a worthless poster. Reported and moving on now.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:10 AM

912 posts, read 1,887,552 times
Default A few words mean many things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Someone should buy you a dictionary so you can figure out what words actually mean.
I may be dumber than you, but I did manage to write a whole paragraph. Out of curiosity, let me ask you this question. Did the Greeks discover the whereabouts of a dictionary by way of someone digging one up? If you plant a dictionary in the ground, then will it sprout lots of liitte dictionaries? Are dictionaries baked in a oven or fried up in a pan? How could one possibly know that they were holding the world's very first dictionary without having a dictionary to define what it was they were holding?
What is a dialectic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas