Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 PM

24 posts, read 56,498 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, we are currently thinking about moving out of AZ and we have been researching all states and cities. As you know Phoenix, Az is a hot and dry place. We have been here for 9 years, before that came from a four season place. So we don't mind coming to a place where there some snow in the winter.

I'm currently in the Kitchen remodel business. Doing Granite counter Tops. I was wondering if any one could help me understand whether if I may be able to start a new business there doing granite counter tops. Also want to know which city would be a good place to start. Please help me understand how the economy is in Dallas TX, and which city might be good for a starter family, as far as growth for future, and starting and growing a small business.

How are the school districts?

how is the weekend get aways for a small vacation? any near areas that offers amusement parks,?

What would be a decent area to rent for starters. Hopefully away from the ghettos. How much can I rent a 2 bedroom apt. for?

We currently live in a 1800 sq. ft. ranch house. we paid $140,000 for.
can I buy a house in the next 2 years for under $100K around 1800 Sq. Ft.

Thanks guys all thoughts are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:13 PM

5 posts, read 13,878 times
I've been to Arizona several times. It's a nice place, but a little hot for me.
I don't know too much about starting a business in kitchen remodeling but we have quite a few companies that do kitchen remodeling already. In my opinion, I recommend to join an existing company. This is my opinion. Anybody else can think otherwise.
The economy is very strong around here; in fact it was ranked the top metropolitan area by the Brookings Institution in late 2009.
If you want to start a family around here, head north. Family friendly cities such as Mckinney and Frisco don't sound too bad, but you can always try smaller cities such as Celina and Prosper, although the towns might be too small for a business.
The schools are excellent in the DFW area, especially cities like Highland Park and Plano.
For weekend getaways, you could always take your kids to Six Flags over Texas in Arlington or Hurricane Harbor. There are also several other cool and family friendly water parks in the Metroplex. If it's just an adult's night out, you could head for the bars Downtown or head for a sporting event (Rangers, Cowboys, Stars, Mavs,etc). The State Fair is very popular here in the fall season too.
The average cost of renting a 2 bedroom apartment is around $300 in the Dallas area, and a little more expensive as you head farther north.
I think you can buy a house about that size more west and north of the dallas area.
Good luck on moving here!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
The average cost of a 2 bedroom apartment is about $800 a month.
If foreclosures continue to flood the market you can probably buy a house for under $100 in some OK areas. Most of the homes in highly desirable school districts cost a lot more than $100K but you can find homes in Grand Prairie, Arlington, Mesquite and in towns in the southern sector for about $90K.
There are many granite countertop businesses here already.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I have no idea how good the school districts are. I know UT Dallas is an excellent university if you want to take classes there. SMU is also pretty good. But it's expensive.

Weekend get aways are excellent. You can drive to Arlington and enjoy Six flags and Ripley's Believe it or not. Or you can go to Cedar Hill State Park and enjoy hills, trails, and the lake. A 3 hour drive up north will take you to the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma.

I would rent near Dallas. All business activities take place in north Dallas/Addison/Richardson/Plano.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:12 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ello123 View Post
The average cost of renting a 2 bedroom apartment is around $300 in the Dallas area, and a little more expensive as you head farther north!
WHERE exactly do you live that you think the average rent for a 2br apartment in the DFW area is $300??????

OP, average rent is somewhere between $750-1200 (I know that's a big range) for a 2br apartment in a safe neighborhood.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
I pay $895 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment in Plano with an attached garage. And I was in Phoenix last week and it felt like summer again. YUCK!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:13 AM

419 posts, read 998,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ello123 View Post
I've been to Arizona several times. It's a nice place, but a little hot for me.
I don't know too much about starting a business in kitchen remodeling but we have quite a few companies that do kitchen remodeling already. In my opinion, I recommend to join an existing company. This is my opinion. Anybody else can think otherwise.
The economy is very strong around here; in fact it was ranked the top metropolitan area by the Brookings Institution in late 2009.
If you want to start a family around here, head north. Family friendly cities such as Mckinney and Frisco don't sound too bad, but you can always try smaller cities such as Celina and Prosper, although the towns might be too small for a business.
The schools are excellent in the DFW area, especially cities like Highland Park and Plano.
For weekend getaways, you could always take your kids to Six Flags over Texas in Arlington or Hurricane Harbor. There are also several other cool and family friendly water parks in the Metroplex. If it's just an adult's night out, you could head for the bars Downtown or head for a sporting event (Rangers, Cowboys, Stars, Mavs,etc). The State Fair is very popular here in the fall season too.
The average cost of renting a 2 bedroom apartment is around $300 in the Dallas area, and a little more expensive as you head farther north.
I think you can buy a house about that size more west and north of the dallas area.
Good luck on moving here!
I gotta say, I am curious where you live if you think the average cost of renting a two bedroom is $300 per month and that it actually gets more expensive the farther north you go. I would not be caught dead in a place where it cost $300 per month for a two bedroom, although I imagine many people are dead in such places.

For example, in Uptown or Downtown (that's south), a seriously tricked out two bedroom can cost over $10,000 per month. But the average price of a two bedroom south of 635 in a nice Dallas neighborhood is going to be well north of $1,000 per month. Prices get significantly more expensive as you head south because they are much more desirable.

For the Original Poster, it would be very hard to find a place for under $100,000 in a nice neighborhood with good schools. In Dallas, $100,000 is a slum. Perhaps in the suburbs you can find something better. But that is a seriously low price point. Look in Cedar Hill, Grand Prairie and other suburbs.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Default neighborhood

well I'm currently living in regular phoenix neighborhood with mostly all white people. if any body knows the phoenix surrounding cities it is (Glendale) so I'm looking to find a neighborhood that is clean but not where the richies live. a neighborhood where people make around $40,000.00 per year.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I pay $895 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment in Plano with an attached garage. And I was in Phoenix last week and it felt like summer again. YUCK!
That's funny because the forecast high in Dallas for today is 15 degrees warmer than Phoenix.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Can any one help me with name of some of the cities in Dallas Fort Worth that are considered the slums/ghettos? I'm looking at some homes and apartments to rent and I want narrow my search by staying away from those plases

Thanks Guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas