Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:41 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times

Advertisements

The Dallas figures are odd, especially with all the infill and gentrification in the inner Loop 12 neighborhoods in the last 10 years. I wonder if the city can dispute those figures? Not to bring Houston in the picture, but their numbers also seem a little "off", for the same reasons as Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moony View Post
Curious. How does one plus one equal two?

You figure it out.
Well your question is easy; it's about simple addition:

the act or process of adding; especially : the operation of combining numbers so as to obtain an equivalent simple quantity

I'm unable to figure out your logic that's why I'm asking you to elaborate your position on how a area is less relevant due to a lower actual population than the estimates. Especially, since the area you're referring to (DFW) is still attracting companies and a substantial quantity of new jobs year over year.

Last edited by First24; 02-18-2011 at 09:59 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
The Dallas figures are odd, especially with all the infill and gentrification in the inner Loop 12 neighborhoods in the last 10 years. I wonder if the city can dispute those figures? Not to bring Houston in the picture, but their numbers also seem a little "off", for the same reasons as Dallas.

I guess the large number of illegal immigrants in either city really weren't counted or hatred for government that Texans in general have didn't help. I think the stagnant numbers in the city of Dallas are a reflection of the numbers of people (particularly middle-class families) fleeing north to CoCo or south to the Best Southwest suburbs and the people "flocking" to Dallas who were counted weren't enough.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 02-18-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 09:50 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I guess the large number of illegal immigrants in either city really weren't counted.
I was thinking the same thing. IMO, I think Dallas is closer to 1.4 million rather than 1.2 million. And as we all know the Census Bureau IS a government agency so I am sure there are more mistakes.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:03 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Must....have....roads....
That's just crazy for a city that small to get that big. How are the native Little Elm residents taking all that growth?

Quote:
Yeah, but there is more to Dallas than what has been going on around Downtown. You have a lot of Dallas south of the Trinity. Black populations in the Southern Dallas County suburbs, for example, have grown as families leave Dallas. Dallas is looking more like Chicago demographically. They had a ton of new growth in their core, but people seem to forget that there is more to Chicago than what is in and around the Loop. Dallas is starting to stagnant it seems. There needs to be some redevelopment going on in the Southern part of the city, but apparently developers aren't allowed to developer there (yet at least, maybe the city will open up its eyes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
There were undercounts all over the nation. I imagine the Hispanic population alone in Dallas was under counted by the tens of thousands.

The Census Bureau needs to find a more efficient method of collecting accurate data, then sending forms via the mail hoping people will return them.
Or maybe they overestimated during the decade with their annual estimates. The real counts are probably more accurate. The growth of DFW was really shocking though. The Census has the 2010 number below their 2009 estimate of DFW. Still growing like gangbusters, but not as fast as people thought. Not to mention many people don't even want to take part in the Census. My friend had many doors slammed in her face with people telling her it "isn't the government's right", so I wouldn't put the undercount (however large or small it is) all on the Census.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
That's just crazy for a city that small to get that big. How are the native Little Elm residents taking all that growth?

Yeah, but there is more to Dallas than what has been going on around Downtown. You have a lot of Dallas south of the Trinity. Black populations in the Southern Dallas County suburbs, for example, have grown as they leave the South Dallas area. Dallas is looking more like Chicago demographically. They had a ton of new growth in their core, but people seem to forget that there is more to Chicago than what is in and around the Loop. Dallas is starting to stagnant it seems. There needs to be some redevelopment going on in the Southern part of the city, but apparently developers aren't allowed to developer there (yet at least, maybe the city will open up its eyes).

Or maybe they overestimated during the decade with their annual estimates. The real counts are probably more accurate. The growth of DFW was really shocking though. The Census has the 2010 number below their 2009 estimate of DFW. Still growing like gangbusters, but not as fast as people thought. Not to mention many people don't even want to take part in the Census. My friend had many doors slammed in her face with people telling her it "isn't the government's right", so I wouldn't put the "undercount (however large or small it is) all on the Census.
You contradicted yourself in the same paragraph; "maybe they overestimated during the decade" to "not to mention many people don't want to take part in the Census".

Overestimating may be a cause for the perceived undercount. I still stand by my initial thoughts, that the way the Census is taken is outdated and leads to inacurracies.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
You contradicted yourself in the same paragraph; "maybe they overestimated during the decade" to "not to mention many people don't want to take part in the Census".

Overestimating may be a cause for the perceived undercount. I still stand by my initial thoughts, that the way the Census is taken is outdated and leads to inacurracies.
How did I contradict myself? I said maybe they "overestimated during the decade", meaning their annual estimates may have been off. That's one reason why the numbers seem low to some people. I then said "many people didn't want to take part in the Census", which is true. That is another reason why the numbers may be off to some people. Where is the contradiction in my post? Census only does "real counts" every ten years you know (when they send out the forms). The annual estimates are from things like housing starts and sales, etc.

Edit: Besides, the MSA numbers for most of the Texas metros either matched, or exceeded expectations. Only DFW fell far below the estimates. Seems the cities weren't growing as fast as we thought, but the suburbs still did.

Last edited by Trae713; 02-18-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 10:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
The Dallas numbers do seem way off. I guess the illegals didn't fill out their forms?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM

922 posts, read 1,698,497 times
Quote:

It's shouldn't surprise you when it comes to gentrification, gentrification always leads to displacement but it's hit or miss when it comes to development.

Dallas started razing a large number of apartment complexes in 1997 and steadily increased the numbers as the 2000's went on. Going on 15 years later most of those places in West Dallas, Oak Cliff, South Dallas, and Vickey Meadows are now vacant plots, parks. or industrial warehouses.

Last edited by DtX4415; 02-18-2011 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Let’s keep it real with what’s going on in Dallas, Texas.

Dallas is on decline because whites have been fleeing the city for the northern suburbs for years. Some of them felt too good to live around black people (let’s be honest). White=money and guess what all that wealth went north and corporate America followed. This crippled the city of Dallas and gave significant power to the Northern Suburbs. Dallas has always been a black/white town but what happen between 1990-2010 will forever change the face of DFW. The Latino Population sky rocketed and it took everyone by surprise. The blacks in Dallas where the ones most affected by the Latino boom. Already suffering from its own issues now they had to deal with illegal’s taking over their communities. When Latinos became the face of the DISD that is when middle class blacks started fleeing for the southern suburbs because they felt the district was more concerned about Hispanic students and ignored the issues of black students as if black America had achieved the American dream. This has pretty much motivated a lot of blacks living in the city limits of Dallas to get an education and find a good paying job and get out of Dallas city limits as quickly as possible. Its going to look really pathetic when 95% of the city of Dallas is Latino and all the whites, asians, and blacks live in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas